Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Sharing Your Passion

If anything, it seems to underscore it's inappropriateness as a sim platform.
Why is that? I just read on another thread about a young man who started flying at 7...

Noah, I'm afraid I don't see your point. Your child liked Flight, therefore flight is good? If anything, it seems to underscore it's inappropriateness as a sim platform.
Not sure what you're getting at here. My first flight simulator was FS4 on my dad's 286 when I was five.

Noah, I'm afraid I don't see your point. Your child liked Flight, therefore flight is good? If anything, it seems to underscore it's inappropriateness as a sim platform.
I agree with you, only because my son or grandson likes a PC game it does not mean its good or bad. Eight months ago my five year old grandson started to play with FSX. I got him in a Cessna 150 and showed him how to start the plane and step by step he learned to take off , cruise and land. He now does that quite well on several aircraft. FSX is a great tool for learning to Sim-fly using the basic planes and in total VFR. So saying that "that is the great fantastic news with Flight" is not exactly true. My sons learned to Sim-Fly with FS5 and FS9 and several of my older grandsons did with FS9. I really do not see the "Wows" and "Hurras" with Flight as a game to pull kids to like to fly or Sim-Fly, The MS FS family has been doing that for years!!!!....I downloaded it and flew the PT-17 for three or four times and its ok, it flies fairly well and is as easy as pie. The scenery is fine but after fifteen minutes it got bored, maybe because am used to Sim-Flying in so many different places I like much more, like mountain country. Maybe Alaska will be better, I´ll wait for others to get it when its out and read what they say. Like all Games and Sim-Flight/games, Flight is there now and some will love it and others simply not care which way it goes since it does not attract them at all. If we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world and no innovation would be around. I personally do not thing it will "pull" many to more concentrated Sim-Flight or the Sim-Flight Hobby, Many people do nor realize that flying is Not a "very interesting" activity to most people and many parents hope their sons and daughters never think of becoming pilots since the thought of "dangerous" still looms around the profession. Kids like their games with a lot of "action, Sound, with music playing along, and even a lot of shooting", look at the game consoles and their games...Anyway, one more PC game in the block, either a flying one or a space adventure will not change what the Sim-Flying Hobby is all about.

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Somebody mentioned the introduction flight in a reply. I had mine on Good Friday this year. My wife hates flying & heights. When she found out I was doing this she insisted on going to the airport. I asked her to take her camera and snap some shots of the plane. When the pilot greeted us he asked her "So, are you coming along to take pictures or you plan to just stay here?"

Next thing I know she is snapping photos as we go through the pre-flight, the take off, the flight and the landing from the back seat.