Sign in to follow this  
wingclip

Performance Demands?

Hi Folks,I've been 'eyeing' this flightsim since I saw the ad, (can't remember which store but may have been AVSIM's). It looked very cool and if I understood the ad, it covered all or most of Switzerland.I knew this was a 'special' kind of flightsim when I saw the way the wind sock was flowing, (it looked absolutely real). In fact, I thought the whole thing was a very well done flightsim and even called my wife in to see how real this one looked.So, the obvious question in my mind has to do with performance demands. In FSX, I have a pretty good number of scenery add-ons, (i.e.: REX, FTX, UTX, GEX etc.), and I get pretty decent performance from my 4.02GHz CPU. It can always be better though, (like when I finally breakdown and buy a i7 2600K and Sandybridge chipset), but for the most part, as long as I stay out of the major cities, (NY, Seattle, Houston, etc), I can get 35fps with the scenery sliders set to the full right position.I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU which basically sits on the bench when it comes to FSX, but how about AEROFLY? Is it also CPU based or can a GPU have some affect in performance?Basically what I'm asking is how does it compare to FSX when it comes to the power it needs to generate the kind of detail I saw in the ad, (the one with the Pitts Special doing all those stunts).Thanks

O/S Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case, (white)/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB (2x16) T-Force XTreem 3600MHz/ EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)/ MSI Ventus 3X GeForce RTX-3080 TiEKWB EK-Quantum CPU block | EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (RGB) (fit to ASUS ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system | [2] Radiators: 240 mm & 120 mm radiators (all push/pull fan configs) | [4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips all controlled by Corsair Lighting Node Pro and iCUE software/ | Internal Drives: [1] Crucial P5 NVME SATA 1 TB/ [5] SATA SSD’s (one 1-TB & four 500GB/ External Drives: [1] Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD 500 GB/ [1] Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD/ Philips 32” curved monitor model 328E1: 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz

@Rich54:AeroflyFS is GPU-intensive.When I complained on the IPACS forum that my Nvidia 7950GT would not run the game, here is their reply:'' your card is missing two important extensions (texture arrays and RG textures) that are required by aerofly FS. These cannot be added by updating the drivers, they are real 'hardware features' ".They recommended a GTX550ti, so I did that, now I`m flying at 60fps.As for ATI, this is what they say:Back of package:

ATI Radeon HD 4750 minimum

AeroflyFS Web site:

ATI Radeon HD 4850 or faster

IPACS Forum: AMD Radeon HD 6770So, your HD 5770 card should be OK.

Edited by jschall

Wow! Thanks jschall!That's refreshing to hear. Now I have a reason to look into some of the newer GPU's that are out there.Just off hand, what did that GTX550ti set you back?Are you familiar with FSX with scenery addons like some that I mentioned? If so, would you say AERFLY is similar?And lastly, does Aerofly cover all of Switzerland or just a small part of it?Thanks again, that's actually good news about the GPU.

O/S Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case, (white)/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB (2x16) T-Force XTreem 3600MHz/ EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)/ MSI Ventus 3X GeForce RTX-3080 TiEKWB EK-Quantum CPU block | EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (RGB) (fit to ASUS ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system | [2] Radiators: 240 mm & 120 mm radiators (all push/pull fan configs) | [4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips all controlled by Corsair Lighting Node Pro and iCUE software/ | Internal Drives: [1] Crucial P5 NVME SATA 1 TB/ [5] SATA SSD’s (one 1-TB & four 500GB/ External Drives: [1] Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD 500 GB/ [1] Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD/ Philips 32” curved monitor model 328E1: 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz

Just off hand, what did that GTX550ti set you back?
Like I said in the other thread:"I found an EVGA GTX-550ti on Amazon Canada for $147, ordered it at 9am Tuesday, it arrived 3pm Wednesday, and an hour later I was flying Aerofly FS at 60 fps!"
Are you familiar with FSX with scenery addons like some that I mentioned? If so, would you say AERFLY is similar?
I use the scenery enhancement utilities Ultimate Terrain X (Canada and USA) and also PNW from Orbx (FTX). They work well together. But AeroflyFS is a standalone simulator that drapes photorealistic scenery and textures over a detailed mesh. The end result is even more realistic, I would say, than FSX with the various scenery enhancements.
And lastly, does Aerofly cover all of Switzerland or just a small part of it?
You can see the coverage for yourself in the get-started manual:http://www.aeroflyfs...roflyFS_eng.pdfSee the coverage map on pages 9/10. It's all of Switzerland plus a bit of the bordering countries, Germany, France, Italy. Edited by jschall

Thank you very much! I just got back in, (I had to leave for a few hours right after I asked that last question), and I have to say that all of this is great news!I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting this program within the next 2 weeks. I just got another external hard drive, (3.0 USB), and planned on using it exclusively for AEROFLY and another new and interesting fightsim, "Take on Helicopters".I have yet to see what TOH requires as far as hardware but I'll find out soon enough.I found some time to install a new ASUS M5A97 EVO mobo tomorrow, (it's been laying around here in the box for 2 weeks!), and then once I have that running as I want, I'll be moving in the those two.Thanks again!

I am using Aerofly FS with a HD 5770 and it runs like a dream, even on 'High', with HDR enabled, and high AA settings. (i7 2600k Win 7 64 bit).