Sign in to follow this  
Guest mna27

Outrageous Pricing hurting Microsoft Flight......

LOL, I have two posts and Its my first opinion on flight.Edit: sorry you said once. Still I find your post kinda strange.

Edited by reubs

To the OP, if you can tell me where I can buy a plane with everything you described for $15.00 (A2A, PMDG....) please let me know....I'll buy it.
+1Cheersjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

All hail the mighty Google, sectional for Hawaii is available right here: http://www.avcharts.com/. Still a bit hard to plot courses, but there are a few pre-plotted.By the way Jeroen a protractor is roughly equivalent to a 'geo-driehoek'.
Didn't See skyvector mentioned either - sectionals and the other charts, and pretty decent flight planning functions as well. I'm still exploring flight myself - Having to learn all new buttons for commands and trying to set up my X52 has been a little frustrating, but the price is definitely right so far!edit - guess I don't fly in HI much - that's the only chart they're missing.... still a good site though... Edited by upandout

I think the high prices are turning a lot of people away from Microsoft Flight.....
And your market research evidence or Microsoft quoted statistics for this is .... ????David

Would you be so kind please to tell me how to turn on the radio on the Maule and please where is the switch to turn on the radio ?I have pressed everything in the cockpit to no avail. Turning the radio on is a 5 stars challenge for me.Thx

Having either a PDF or paper sectional would sure come in handy! I like to plot my plan using a china marker along with a protractor so I can get precise data. Old school I know, but boy is it ever fun!EDIT: I located a zip file with an excellent .jpg file of the sectional for Hawaiihttp://www.avsimrus....hart-24714.html
PDF did you say? Here is a free utility that will slice and dice large pictures into PDF pages. Scotch tape not included!http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

Their whole business model is a joke. Not allowing third party developers to develop add-ons and get their product on a market type site that pays percentage of profits to MS is a real shame. If I was heading the team, I would have created a relationship with all the developers out there and provided them with an SDK and have them do the work of creating scenery and aircraft add ons that the consumer can purchase through the market. There is so much talent and expertise out there but instead of cleverly utilizing them, MS chose to shun them. Development costs are high and MS could have made the third party developers eat that cost and through the market, MS could still make a profit. Imagine when MS released flight, we could have downloaded ORBX addons, REX weather engine, PMDG or IFly 737 ngx, FSDT GSX, RealAir Duke, etc. This whole release has a bad vibe to it.
I have a saying that I personally try to live by, why sweat the things you cannot change. For better or for worse, Flight is what it is at release. What the future holds down the road, no one really knows this soon. I myself though, am having some fun with Flight!

(Anyone got a tip for finding out the right headings etc. to or from a VOR...? Obviously there aren't many VOR/NDB's on the islands, so it's pretty hard finding some airports...)
Use skyvector and put in a flight plan.. or you can right click on the screen and click PLAN.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Would you be so kind please to tell me how to turn on the radio on the Maule and please where is the switch to turn on the radio ?I have pressed everything in the cockpit to no avail. Turning the radio on is a 5 stars challenge for me.Thx
Avionics switch is on the lower panel on the pilot's side. Look for the white switch just to the left of the prop knob (blue one!). Click on it to turn on the radio stack's power.
PDF did you say? Here is a free utility that will slice and dice large pictures into PDF pages. Scotch tape not included!http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
Thanks. Bookmarked for another day.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Didn't See skyvector mentioned either - sectionals and the other charts, and pretty decent flight planning functions as well. I'm still exploring flight myself - Having to learn all new buttons for commands and trying to set up my X52 has been a little frustrating, but the price is definitely right so far!edit - guess I don't fly in HI much - that's the only chart they're missing.... still a good site though...
Skyvector is certainly a cool site, but unless I'm missing something they don't have a Hawaii sectional up.

Skyvector is certainly a cool site, but unless I'm missing something they don't have a Hawaii sectional up.
Simply enter PHTO in the upper left grey box and press Go.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

But back to the topic, the rate MS Flight is going now it's gonna cost $100's of dollars if you want to be able to fly anywhere and have a few planes.
Although the current pricing for Flight DLC seems reasonable, especially when compared with the price of third party add-ons for the legacy sims, we should take into account that MS will hopefully be selling us the whole world plus all the bells and whistles as DLC over time. Hard to imagine what the final cost will be. So, yes, I tend to agree with the poster that MS may be asking too much at present.

(Anyone got a tip for finding out the right headings etc. to or from a VOR...? Obviously there aren't many VOR/NDB's on the islands, so it's pretty hard finding some airports...)
Not sure what you mean here Jeroen....You just center the needle with a "TO" indication and fly that heading (roughly... compensating for wind to keep the needle centered).That will take you right to the VOR dialed in.

Although the current pricing for Flight DLC seems reasonable, especially when compared with the price of third party add-ons for the legacy sims, we should take into account that MS will hopefully be selling us the whole world plus all the bells and whistles as DLC over time. Hard to imagine what the final cost will be. So, yes, I tend to agree with the poster that MS may be asking too much at present.
+1The size of the regions released is going to be a big factor for me whether I delve into DLC. If it's going to be $20 a state, well that's too much. Plus they might split up some states, Socal/ Norcal, Southern Nevada, Northern Nevada, etc. At $20 a pop, we're at +$1000 for the US alone.Also the next release should be interesting. Lets say they release Southern California but don't give an aircraft that will fly from Hawaii to Socal. Kind of pointless. Starting with Hawaii was a mistake unless they give us an appropriate aircraft too. Just my opinion and I'm really hoping they do this right.

I imagine that they have thought all of this through and have come to the same conclusions as you and the rest of us. They are certainly not any less capable than any of us. Clearly, though, we shall not be buying the entire world, or at least not most of us, and we don't fly most of the world in FS X either. Nor do most of us fly all the different types of aircraft that are available, although there is most certainly a segment of the market that does switch often. So, the price for DLC purchased by each user will rarely be into the atmospheric amounts, if we examine this realistically.Still, I agree that a large segment of the users of FS has never purchased an add-on, myself included, because either we get freeware or we make it ourselves. And this concept of DLC will hurt us much more than those users who have spent large sums on add-ons.Best regards.Luis