Sign in to follow this  
Guest mna27

Outrageous Pricing hurting Microsoft Flight......

People need to stop comparing it to FSX default, sure you get lots of planes and the whole world, but most of it is rubbish.That is a big difference !!!!!! Very Big !! difference !certainly fsx world - altough as you describe it - 'rubbish' is better than the NO world of flight !

Edited by arsenal82

I bought the Hawaii pack and the Maule for a total cost of $35 and feel like I got my money's worth. A detailed scenery pack and two airplanes averages out to $12 dollars each. Like it or not the DLC business model is here to stay. I would still prefer to buy a DVD but you need to go with the flow or stop playing computer games.

Like it or not the DLC business model is here to stay.Maybe for you - yes !I play sim without need of dlc - so no problems with me. If i want change i fly the new xplane10 - again no dlc !

I just want to start out with saying I like how Microsoft Flight looks and feels alot...I think the flight physics are way better then FSX...this simulator has alot of potential...it's just lacking key features now like VOR's working...or a flight planner etc...I think the high prices are turning a lot of people away from Microsoft Flight.....including me. $15 for one plane......that is steep, what if I want to buy 5 planes in the future?I could understand the $15 price tag if the whole world was available to fly in, or if there was a flight planner, or if radio navigation worked.....but $15 to fly on one little island is too much. I'm definitely not even gonna think about buying any planes till there are at least working VOR's.
I bought both plane addons. I wish the mustang had a cockpit on it, hopefully this will be a future update. And the price of them may seem steep to some but when you have Railroads 2012 and Trainz 2012 as well some of them you pay 20 bucks for a train and a mission or two on a new layout. Some trains go for 20 alone. Also DLC seems to be where the money is at in the gaming world, its not going away but you will see more games in the future taking this route. Its just a little more new for the PC than the console worlds where a map pack that was free to PC users the PSN and 360 people paid 10 bucks for them.I will be purchasing the last addon later but I am happy with the pricing and my purchases.

As I read this thread, I just realize all the talk about price is meaningless. This really is a discussion of value, and everyone will be different. To strongly opine one way or the other with regard to Flight DLC prices/value, or to try to convince others, is a waste of time.Some people think prices are reasonable, some think they're ridiculously expensive. Different strokes/different folks. Democrat/Republican. Night/Day...It is what it is....

This really is a discussion of value, and everyone will be different. To strongly opine one way or the other with regard to Flight DLC prices/value, or to try to convince others, is a waste of time.
Your first sentence is true.If the second were true, there would be no need to discuss anything, ever, because your first statement in true for everything, not just Flight DLC prices. Ex: What is the value of reading a particular book? Should there be no discussion about it?

As I read this thread, I just realize all the talk about price is meaningless. This really is a discussion of value, and everyone will be different. To strongly opine one way or the other with regard to Flight DLC prices/value, or to try to convince others, is a waste of time.
I have to agree - the prices are what they are - if the DLC is too expensive to you then you'll have to pass on it - but if you do, it doesn't change the fact that it only matters if it's too expensive for me. Is $15 expensive for a plane? If you have plenty of money and a good stream of new money, then generally 'no'. If you are a broke student, then yes.

If the second were true, there would be no need to discuss anything, ever, because your first statement in true for everything, not just Flight DLC prices. Ex: What is the value of reading a particular book? Should there be no discussion about it?
You make a great point about perceived value, before we actually use a product or service, we know what the price is, and form an opinion based on these factors. After we use the product and paid for it, then we can conclude if the original value we placed on this item is realized or not. Your book reference is valid. You may get a book thinking you'll enjoy reading it, or learn from it, or both. After you bought the book and read it, it's possible that it didn't meet your expectations, and the value you originally placed in the book is now less than it was before purchasing. And the discussion that follows could be helpful for you and others, but trying to convince others of your perception of value to how others SHOULD perceive it is a waste of time.The discussion is great actually, and although I feel strongly one way, there are plenty of others that feel just as strongly the other way, and neither one of us is going to convince the other on how they should individually perceive value. That's all.

The discussion is great actually, and although I feel strongly one way, there are plenty of others that feel just as strongly the other way, and neither one of us is going to convince the other on how they should individually perceive value. That's all.
I don't think that anyone is really trying to convince anyone, I sure am not, but it is generally better to have multiple and diverse input to get a good picture of whatever the subject matter is. I thought that was the goal of a discussion group such as this one....and I agree with your quoted statement otherwise.

To the OP, if you can tell me where I can buy a plane with everything you described for $15.00 (A2A, PMDG....) please let me know....I'll buy it.
Aside from "Flight" with the current sims there are legions of aircraft that are top quality both payware and freeware. In fact a lot of freeware is of a much higher standard than equivalent payware.M$ obviously didn't like the idea of money going to developers instead of them or even the idea that stuff was free. They weant all the money for themselves.I certainly don't want to lob out $15 for each and every step towards a flyable sim with all the bells and whistles. It will cost a fortune.vololiberista

Guest mna27

thanks guys, http://skyvector.com/ is a great find!Interesting discussion, its nice to see everyone's point of view.I think that Microsoft has 2 options, to either appeal to the masses or to a small group of hard core flight simmers. It's pretty clear that their trying to appeal to the masses, and while $20 for one plane and Hawaii might be an OK value since it launch and all, but it makes me concerned about the future prices. I would like to at least be able to fly anywhere in North American and Europe but at this rate it looks like its gonna cost $200.If all future planes are gonna cost $15, it will only appeal to hard core flight simmers which seems a fair price to them. So it's up to Microsoft, expensive planes to sell to a small group of people, or cheaper ones to sell to the masses.

Flight needs 3rd party addons as soon as possible, damn I want to fly over my home region, not above some islands 7.000nm away from where I am.
From the way MS Flight is set up I think its pretty clear that there will be NO 3rd party add on's for MS Flight. Since you have to download the game and be connected to the internet for content, this gives Microsoft the power to prevent any third parties from tinkering with their flight sim. I guess the only option would be for Microsoft to hire/pay third parties for planes, that MS will then put into the game and get paid for themselves, not sure if MS would do that though. Edited by mna27

$20 for an MS quality aircraft is too much. You consider this is on top of a seriously restricted area of the world compared to what we got with FSX, FS2004 etc... which also included about 10 aircraft as standard!! Rip off!
If the Flight RV-6 and the Maule were pre-Flight MS quality aircraft, I would agree with you 100%. But, they aren't pre-Flight MS quality aircraft at all...All of the aircraft in Flight were built under contract by some very well-known and respected modelers. Look at the Credits list to find out just who they were.In my frank opinion, if MSGS had promoted Flight and given these folks higher visibility and credit for their work, most of these "assumptions" would have been made moot before they became "truths..."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I know the pricing is hurting MS. I for one am not going to give MS $20 for a plane when I don't know if flight is even going to have ATC or a whole world( this seem only to be speculation at this point as MS has not said anything official that I am aware of). Until then I will take a wait and see attitude. However if the Maule was $5 I would be downloading it right now. As for FSX addons I always thought they were overpriced, I mean I paid $20 for the whole sim now to get better textures somebody wants me to pay $50? Well I know the addons are cool in FSX and I know they are worth the money to a lot of people just not to me. My point is if Flights addons were a little cheaper I would be buying right now. And yes I do realize I got the base game for free. But right now I am already bored with it. Like I said I see no point investing any money into a product that MS can't give a definite answer as to whether it will have the features I want yet. That being said I sincerely hope Flight turns into a great sim.

I understand what you'r saying, the point I was making is that some peoples think that $20.00 for the Hawaiian package is expensive.
Those are people who aren't giving it enough thought...Both the Maule and the RV-6 are quite clearly of equivalent quality and worth. Since this true, then the actual Hawaiian package's scenery component is only $5.00... :Hypnotized:I honestly think MSGS should have sold the Hawiian scenery for $5.00, and sold the RV-6 as a separate item altogether.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Aside from "Flight" with the current sims there are legions of aircraft that are top quality both payware and freeware. In fact a lot of freeware is of a much higher standard than equivalent payware.M$ obviously didn't like the idea of money going to developers instead of them or even the idea that stuff was free. They weant all the money for themselves.I certainly don't want to lob out $15 for each and every step towards a flyable sim with all the bells and whistles. It will cost a fortune.vololiberista
Thumb Up - Vololiberista !flight is nothingelse than a money spin for Ms!