Sign in to follow this  
Jetranger

NEW Boeing 737-200 out 3/8/2012

Yeah, the difference in VC texture quality between the forthcoming CS 737 and this new BlackBox 737 is staggering.Although I quite liked PSS's 757 and 777 back in 2005/2006, I can honestly say there is not one degree of improvement or advancement in the quality of this 737 aircraft, in 2012. There are no special features, no configuration options, few animations above the basics. It's just a plane and an admittedly quite good manual (created by JF); and sadly not a good plane.I think the target audience for this product is probably less so people on forums such as this, and moreso RETAIL buyer; kids who walk through the shop with their mom/mum and see the nice shiny box ...."look mom, a 737 for flight sim!". Some will think it's nice to see Graham Waterfield back in the FS game, and others wouldn't want to be in the same virtual room as him, after the PSS closure fiasco and inability to download purchased products. I wasn't affected by that and I don't have any views good or bad on PSS / Graham W / BlackBox Simulations; I can just honestly say that this is a poor quality release by today's standards.Give Just Flight their due: they have without quibble, agreed to transfer my purcashed 737 license over to the DC-6B. Can't say fairer than that. :(

Gosh, the VC looks like 10 year old freeware.Just compare it to CS 737 vc screenshots: http://www.captainsi...737/200/vc.html
Certainly looks nicer. I think it will come down to CS or Milviz for me. The flight dynamics and systems are most important to me, and Captain Sim does not have a good track record in these aspects. Milviz has produced some great aircraft with excellent flight dynamics, good systems detail, and fantastic visuals (which CS even had Milviz provide for their B-52) so Captain Sim will need to be on top of their game if they want to compete. Anyways, from the reports on this BBS 737, sadly it doesn't seem very appealing anymore. I must be patient though and and see how the CS and Milviz products turn out before offering any conclusive opinion.

I would just like say a big thanks to the early purchasers who've posted here. It's just this kind of thing that makes this a truly great forum. You've certainly saved me some money that I can ill afford at the best of times.Much as I REALLY want a 732, this really doesn't look like what I'd consider even a 'fair' release at that price. Not when you consider some of the other recent offerings.So, once again guys, my thanks :(

HelloEvery recent JF release has been criticised for the poor VC texturing, why do they never listen and improve their quality.This must eventually hurt their sales, and as a company they have been around long enough to know that what they are offering is below current standards.Or does their boxed stuff sell so well in retail that they think they are onto a winning formula ?, a slightly upmarket version of Abacus

HelloEvery recent JF release has been criticised for the poor VC texturing, why do they never listen and improve their quality.This must eventually hurt their sales, and as a company they have been around long enough to know that what they are offering is below current standards.Or does their boxed stuff sell so well in retail that they think they are onto a winning formula ?, a slightly upmarket version of Abacus
+++1. Reading this and Phil's post above, I'm just glad I've not rushed to buy this. Their Comet was the last buy from them.

Ok, look, on reflection, my comments above were harsh, so early into the release.That's not to say they weren't fair or accurate, but they were harsh.It just that, apart from the quite poor textures, sound and FDE, it feels like very buggy release; here's an example; do you like the sound of a trim wheel turning in a 737? .............well you had better in this plane because the trim wheel spins relentlessly while the AP is holding altitude at cruise. It never ever reaches it's trim point, and so just spins constantly, with a really distracting noise, that ruins the flight.There are other examples, such as many of the switches on the OHP facing the wrong way to how they are in real life. The AP is supposed to be simple being the Sperry 77 but even in modes where you are supposed to be contoling pitch manually as in the real aircraft, this one will HOLD onto a set pitch furiously. Half way into my cruise, with the ALT HOLD activated along with HDG hold, and both AP servers on, my plane dive bombed form 20,000 to 13,400 without explanation. Then started to climb again.I stand by a solid lack of recommendation for this release - it's just not at the quality required for a £31 ($45) dollar release.But maybe it will be improved with a patch.
I went for a quick ride.Textures, could be better but VC is ok with 30FPS.Trim wheel stops for me.Autopilot is ok.Smooth akeoff ..Saitek throttles .. reversers work ok.No FSx crashes or errors.I will have to get up and do a few training flights.My next flight I want to set up the PDCS (PERFORMANCE DATA COMPUTER SYSTEM) and check it all out.Which switches are the wrong way?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I would just like say a big thanks to the early purchasers who've posted here. It's just this kind of thing that makes this a truly great forum. You've certainly saved me some money that I can ill afford at the best of times.Much as I REALLY want a 732, this really doesn't look like what I'd consider even a 'fair' release at that price. Not when you consider some of the other recent offerings.So, once again guys, my thanks
You couldn't have said it better. Thank you folks for saving us the money !!!

You are welcome.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Its just pure opportunism IMHO, CS is on the verge of releasing something of professionalquality so in rushes someone with a hack job and tries to steal some profits. Common strategy,and it shows just how much they care about their customer base.Thanks to those who spent their money and their time to inform us!!

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

Every recent JF release has been criticised for the poor VC texturing...
Certainly is true for their Connie and DC-3..
why do they never listen and improve their quality
IMHO, they do...As far as texturing goes one can see quite an improvement with the JF Viscount although they've used a mix of the various Viscount cockpit versions.The VC of their DC-6B certainly is the best of their recently released propliner series. No clue why some people call it 'cartoony'. That's how a DC-4, DC-6 cockpit looks like. ( i can tell cause i had the pleasure of sitting in both the RW DC-4 and 6 for hours and hours... :( )It does indeed seem like they've taken a few steps back with their 737-200 VC.... ( only judging by the pics, waiting for CS.. )Btw, the DC-6B FDE is very well done, external model looks pretty good ( textures could've been better ). If you're into propliners you won't regret buying it. ( that is, before the PMDG DC-6 gets landing clearance, surely.. :( )cheers,jan

Jan

...the news about the Milviz are a surprise indeed.
We've kept a pretty tight lid on this. Even in the "beta test" forums it's still listed as "Unrevealed Tubeliner" project... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

We've kept a pretty tight lid on this. Even in the "beta test" forums it's still listed as "Unrevealed Tubeliner" project... :(
So who decided to leak it yesterday and why?

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog