Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

SDK--any way to read the cabin press and CDU?

After 4 days of exploring memory locations and debuging FSX, I managed to pick up CDU text lines for both captain and f/o...

I used the same principle as VirtualAvionics guys...reading directly from FSX/PMDG process memory...and IT WORKS  :P  :P  :P  :P

I'll try to document this method in next few days and publish it online...since I'm a bit ###### :mad:  when someone keeps this kind of stuff for themselves...simply, I'm not that kind of guy ;)

Stay tuned...

regards,

Marko

Just FYI this is considered reverse engineering and is against the EULA.

Just FYI this is considered reverse engineering and is against the EULA.

I don't think so it is reverse engineering in a guilty way...

You simply use data what it is there. You dont modify the PMDG code, you dont hack it, you dont...

So, Marko, any good news?!?

Sorry guys,

I was a bit busy lately doing some other stuff because aviation is my hobby (like most of us - although I'm soon to be holder of PPL(H))

Like I responded to some of you sending me PM, I have completed most of coding for retrieving data from both CDUs.

I will publish sample code (written in C# - easy to translate to any language) as soon as I get time to complete it for wide use...

Regarding EULA and stuff...reverse engineering as a legal term is decompiling libraries which I was not doing.

I was simply found a "route" to locations in virtual memory where data is stored (not the first person doing it anyway)

As I recall, PMDG SDK EULA states that reading memory locations is forbidden, but, the thing is...this technique of mine does not use PMDG SDK nor SimConnect so I was not obligated to accept those EULAs, nor users of my code needs to accept those EULAs in order to use my code...so, by law, I was doing something that is generally perfectly legal...messing with my own computer's memory ;)

Anyway, if someone want to press charges against me, I will gladly send my personal contact information in Montenegro...Would not be the first time :)

Good bless Open Source :D

Kind regards

Marko

Sorry guys,

I was a bit busy lately doing some other stuff because aviation is my hobby (like most of us - although I'm soon to be holder of PPL(H))

Like I responded to some of you sending me PM, I have completed most of coding for retrieving data from both CDUs.

I will publish sample code (written in C# - easy to translate to any language) as soon as I get time to complete it for wide use...

Regarding EULA and stuff...reverse engineering as a legal term is decompiling libraries which I was not doing.

I was simply found a "route" to locations in virtual memory where data is stored (not the first person doing it anyway)

As I recall, PMDG SDK EULA states that reading memory locations is forbidden, but, the thing is...this technique of mine does not use PMDG SDK nor SimConnect so I was not obligated to accept those EULAs, nor users of my code needs to accept those EULAs in order to use my code...so, by law, I was doing something that is generally perfectly legal...messing with my own computer's memory ;)

Anyway, if someone want to press charges against me, I will gladly send my personal contact information in Montenegro...Would not be the first time :)

Kind regards

Marko

Perfect!

You will get some warm-big-thanks from everybody!!!!

Sorry guys,

Kind regards

Marko

Hello Marko!

Not a rush or pressure...

Just curious how is it going...

If you need c# dev. help, just ask.

Kris

Kind regards
Marko

Thanks.

Anyway, judging by the fact that Virtual CDU guys submitted their software to PMDG and it was cleared, I surmise they accept this kind of method. I suppose you are reading FSX memory, not PMDG dlls memory addresses anyway, so...

I did it!

Nice job!

Would you or anybody so kind to share the info?

Or the code...

It would be helpful.

I swear I dont do business from it, I want to use it onlyin my home-enviroment.

Many thanks!!

I don't understand why you would want to read the screens by digging through the memory.

The CDU screens are actually broadcast by the software, as is documented in the SDK header file. All you need to do is to enable it in the options file and tell SimConnect what you want, and away you go. Just make sure you have the latest version of the NGX and all you need is there.

I have both NGX CDUs and all three 777 CDUs working this way.

Bert Laverman

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Nice job!

Would you or anybody so kind to share the info?

Or the code...

It would be helpful.

I swear I dont do business from it, I want to use it onlyin my home-enviroment.

Many thanks!!

kbatyai, 

I really sorry for the delay.

I don't know if you want the code yet. Please let me know. I can publish on github.

Best