Sign in to follow this  
davido53

Does anyone else get this god-cursed window!!!???

This accursed thing pops up while I'm running races online and at other inopportune times.Anyone know how I can get rid of it?Thanks and I owe ya one!

Guest TerryT

Sounds like your computer is infected with "Spyware"Try installing this Spybot Search and Destroy program. It hopefully will remove that pesky add.http://ejrs.com/spybot/Terry

Guest tinman

I had the exact same problem on my comp after I downloaded an Oshkosh scenery file, and my spyware scan did not get rid of it. I asked my brother about it (a computer genius compared to me), and here is how he showed me to get rid of it. Haven't had it pop up on me since. :)Go into your Control Panel, and into Administrative Tools. There will be a shortcut there for Services, open it, you will find a service titled Messenger. Click on that, then in the general tab on the new window, you will see a box titled "Startup Type". Set this to disabled.....and now you no longer have the pop-up problem. Now you can fly without the grey box ruining your fun. Cheers, tinman

Actually, this is not caused by Spyware.Late last year, some overseas hackers came upon a new way to spam people on web connections, which involves a hole in Windows messenger service. You're a victim of that...nothing's been loaded onto your computer to cause these windows to pop up, other than Windows' own messenger service. Basically, someone is manipulating your messenger service remotely.The easiest way to end these "pop-ups" is to disable messenger service. If you are on a home P.C. vs. a WAN, doubtless you'll see any negative impact from this--and the messenger pop-ups will go away.-John

Yep - John's correct.Everything (and more!) you want to know about this pest (actually, misuse of system functionality) is at http://www.re-quest.net/computers/messenger-spam/ , including several ways how to prohibit it popping up again. If you're using a (home) firewall make it block UDP and TCP ports 135, 137-139, and 445. If you're not, disable the messenger service according to the guidelines.Good luck,Vince