Sign in to follow this  
cimgrp501

4GB Patch, trouble installing and not sure if needed

Downloaded 4gb patch from http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php after reading some threads on blurries here. It's a minor problem with some slow loading mountain textures on my Asus laptop, which has 10gb memory. After unzipping and trying to open, I get a "cannot open executable file" error message (Win 7 64 bit). Any advice on if this is valuable in helping the old FS9 better utilize memory and how I can open it? Tried re-downloading, etc, with no success.Thanks for any ideas!Roy

Roy Holley

No need to mess with Boot.ini files if you run 64 bit windows
Absolutely right, Graeme!I have just missed the W764 part of the OP's post... :(

Thanks Rafal for many helpful posts including to my challenge, and also Graeme, not that tech savvy but got it patched!Roy

Roy Holley

Isn't the 4GB Patch only für 64bit systems? Let me quote from http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php:"This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms."(Underlined by myself)And:"On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (the other 2GB are reserved for the system). On x64 these two other GB can now be accessed by 32bit applications."(again underlined by myself)So makes it sense to apply this patch at x86 systems as mine (WinXP Pro SP3?) at all without harming the system itself?Sorry for my question, as I have some experience with FS2004, but almost none with operating systems.Thank you for your advice.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Sorry for my stupid post of Wednesday. I totally forgot editing boot.ini with the /3GB switch etc. However - I tried it following the above recommendations, and it made more promlems than that it helped. I suppose that my video card - a AMD Radeon HD 6570 with 2048 MB memory - needs so much ressources, that /3GB is useless on my system (I had to replace the old video card and my PC dealer recommended these to have equivalent performance, but it seems as the new card is too good for my system (4GB RAM, 2,9 GHz AMD Athlon Dual Core, WinXP SP3).After activating /3GB switch with /userva=2560 I experienced momentarily coloured bricks on my screen; after the desktop was finally showed correctly, the PC seemed to "switch something forward and back" in graphics and slowed down generally. Starting FS9 I was showed a message citing incompatibilities with 3d setting, that I ignored at first. When FS9 was finally startet, I had 5 fps in average and decided not to use /3GB switch anymore. I have to admit that I have OOM very very seldom.Can anybody say what I would have to change, especially in graphics settings inside and outside FS9?

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

What you need to change is your operating system--with that hardware you need to make the step to 64-bit. FS running on a 2GB video card in a 32-bit OS is very likely going to be some real a** pain.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks, so "Sacrifices have to be made" as Otto Lilienthal said.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg