Sign in to follow this  
javfn

Microsoft Flight SDK

Hello everyone!Does somebody knows what do I need to start developing for Microsof Flight? or if there is gonna be a SDK? and when is it gonna be released? I apreciate your replies.Javier

No third party developers (and thus SDK) for at least a year, according to the project leader (see Joshua's interview on the web). And it is not clear if/when it is opened up that there will be any way to distribute addons except MS's store (~30% cut to MS), and I would expect it unlikely that there will be much (if any) freeware offered via that route.Hope this helps,

Hi Tom!What are your sources and do you have a link to the interview you said in yor post?Javier

I got this info from an AVSIM forum post:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/364206-joshua-howard-interview-yesterday-grilled-about-third-party-support/and here's the interview:http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/interview-joshua-howard-microsoft-flight/091961Hope this helps,

The Flight SDK may not be publically available even if it's released. The Xbox SDK isn't - not even for tools and middleware. It's only available to approved developers who have signed up with Microsoft.

Edited by mgh

Very true, which means no freeware development at all. I would predict they will probably be using high end tools anyway (I have heard they use Max at MS), and those would be out of reach of most freeware developers anyway.I assume they haven't even thought about the strategy for 3rd party developers yet - they have other priorities at this point, as those interviews make clear. It could end up anything from "by MS invitation only" to "freeware available in the MS store". No way to know at this point...

So, also no panel and gauge design, which is 80% of the hobby for individuals like me?

So, also no panel and gauge design, which is 80% of the hobby for individuals like me?
Indeed. Those of us that are in this to build stuff are now stuck in the past!Doug

Well, since nearly all of the gauge work is embedded XML (or equivalent) in the model itself, true. However, the presence of the very primitive "GPS" in the Icon A5 does show that some more traditional 2d gauges are provided for.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

A further thought. Microsoft has (presumably) included anti-piracy feastures to prevebnt DLC being used on any other version of Flight than the one it was downloaded for.These features would need to be by-passed if freeware add-ons were to be distributed. That would also enable commercial developers' add-ons to be distributed without using Microsoft's store and paying royalties. I can't see how Microsoft could distinguish between free and commercial add-ons.

Well, it seems Microsoft doesn´t want to share its pie this time. So sad for the big devolopers but also for the smaller ones, the third party add-ons will remain hooked in the previosus version of FS. I have several instrument panels code I wanted to upgrade to Flight but seems it won't be possible, besides I cannot buy FSX in stores now since it is not available anymore here in Mexico. I wonder what options do I have to make this upgrade of the panels of mine.Javier

FSX is still available online - places like Amazon, etc.

Well, it seems Microsoft doesn´t want to share its pie this time. So sad for the big devolopers but also for the smaller ones, the third party add-ons will remain hooked in the previosus version of FS. I have several instrument panels code I wanted to upgrade to Flight but seems it won't be possible, besides I cannot buy FSX in stores now since it is not available anymore here in Mexico. I wonder what options do I have to make this upgrade of the panels of mine.Javier
HelloFSX is now available to buy as a download direct from MS

Hello mad dog! That sounds great! Do you have a link I can follow?Javier

Hello mad dog! That sounds great! Do you have a link I can follow?Javier
HelloThere is a thread about it in the main FSX forum, unfortunately for some reason I am banned from it so cannot post the direct link :(