Sign in to follow this  

MS Flight vs FSX: it's simple, really

Yeah it's quite a driving sim which I really suck at sim racing too and probably could only manage to win a wooden spoon....Quite fun having a blast around a track and seeing how bad my laptimes are and how many times I can crash...I've tried those other ones you mentioned and pretty much suck at those too... but hey... it's fun!There's 2 games that I found to be quite better at: Gran Tourismo 5 and Shift 2....I'd much rather be flying though..... I can fly from a to b, but don't expect me to win a race!

So... why don't people simply react in the same way when it comes to FSX and MS Flight...? MSF Flight is NOT FSX. Nor is it FS11. It's something else.
The reason is quite simple: people, in particular arguably many of the folks who frequent flight sim forums like avsim, had hoped Flight might be next gen FSX, i.e., a platform that becomes the core of another robust flight simulator w/ solid 3rd party add-on support for many years to come, much as FSX provided but w/ more robust use current hardware, multiprocessor support, Direct11, etc. It's been difficult for some to accept that this may not be the case, and therein lies the bemoaning. Get over it, of course. But that is the reason they simply don't react to reality by sheer acceptance.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

:Whistle: Y'all come! Y'all come! Y'all come for a visit now and then! :Whistle:
I'm fixin' to. Some time soon; I reckon.I lived in South Carolina For 18 years. Southern people are the BEST!!I'm dying to hear someone say;"How y'all doin'."RB

So... why don't people simply react in the same way when it comes to FSX and MS Flight...? MSF Flight is NOT FSX. Nor is it FS11. It's something else.
So did you heard something about FS 11 development ? ;) For most is obvious that Flight is continue of FS series, it will not be something else on this way in nearest future (5 years or so). So we should live with this... I'm as third part developer couldn't live with this and need to look for way out... However is the way to hire into MS :)

soh-banner.png

Since you're into racing, have you given rFactor a shot? There's some great mods such as cars and tracks to have a spin in....
Rfactor 2 beta is fantastic BTW since it has some to do with OP post. The 1960 Spa with 60's F1 cars is an absolute blast to try to master. At any rate i agree with you. Why must Flight sim be limited to just one simulator (to be a true Flight Simmer?) when i play all kinds over other racing sims and it seems to be just fine with everyone over at Nogrip for example. There is something seemingly different at play here, even friends of mine lambast me for playing Flight, and in the meantime i am having some of the most interesting, fun, and challenging VFR flights i've ever had. It is great to have FSX, and it's been great to me as well. I will always have it and play it. Because there is nothing wrong with putting it on the shelf for a while and having a 'different' kind of fun.

Guest mna27

flight looks 100x better then fsx, and feels better, with fsx it feels like your driving on a track through the sky. I'm sure everyone will stop whining once they add more regions (which will come with more features of coarse).just be patient, think of it as a beta still, Microsoft loves releasing games early now so they get paid sooner.

Someone told me once, (not being a dev i don't know if it's true) that FSX it is actually the scenery is moving not the aircraft. Flight kinda feels like the opposite is true. Purely speculation on my part, but might account for the different 'feel'.

flight looks 100x better then fsx, and feels better, with fsx it feels like your driving on a track through the sky. I'm sure everyone will stop whining once they add more regions (which will come with more features of coarse).just be patient, think of it as a beta still, Microsoft loves releasing games early now so they get paid sooner.
Not to offend you - but - from your statement regarding fsx - i believe you do not have a clue what fsx is and do or feel like.

I'm fixin' to. Some time soon; I reckon.I lived in South Carolina For 18 years. Southern people are the BEST!!I'm dying to hear someone say;"How y'all doin'."RB
How's your mom n them?lol, originally from east TN here.

Y'all come! Y'all come! Y'all come for a visit now and then!
Stephen, The correct terminology is " All Y'all". That's plural for Y'all if you live in Texas. I'm a Northerner by birth but I've lived in Texas for the last nine years. Trust me, it's not that bad goin' South. It's March 7th and 66 degrees at 11 AM.

NAX669.png

Someone told me once, (not being a dev i don't know if it's true) that FSX it is actually the scenery is moving not the aircraft. Flight kinda feels like the opposite is true. Purely speculation on my part, but might account for the different 'feel'.
Interesting speculation! From a physics point of view, all motion is relative, so from a pilot's point of the view,the scenery IS moving..But, I do agree that the FLIGHT flight model is very fluid and sometimesfeels more like XPlane than FSX.. I quite like it, especially in heavy weather.

Bert

Flight is simply taking advantage of DX11 and modern hardware including 6 years of GPU development. If MS would just do the same to the FSX engine and release SP3 I'd be very grateful :wink:

Flight is simply taking advantage of DX11 and modern hardware including 6 years of GPU development. If MS would just do the same to the FSX engine and release SP3 I'd be very grateful :wink:
I think Flight is Dx9 application

I think Flight is Dx9 application
I remember reading somewhere (possibly beta forum?) that it is a tweaked/enhanced version of DX9 rather than the standard DX9 version.

Give people power to really test their personality.

Not trying to restart the Civil War here... lolBut my mom used to say, she was 16 years old before she learned that "damned Yankee" was TWO words... ; )