Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrownDog

Takings pics on a real flight

Does anyone know the rules about takings pictures on airline flights? I'm taking a flight tonight and I'd like to snap a pic or two, I'm wondering if I'm gonna get shot doing that since they're usually in a pissy mood anyway. Thanks!ps: If not, then I'll use my watch which is a digi-cam as well. :)

i have never had a problem taking pics while on an airplane.chris

Only had problems on Aeroflot back in the 1980s. Apparently photography out of aircraft over the USSR was not allowed and considered to be espionage. A friendly flight attendant (they existed...) warned me as I was unpacking my camera, I put it away and that was that.Otherwise, never had trouble at all. At some airports you're not allowed to take pictures while airside (so walking to/from the aircraft or while the aircraft is on the ground) because they double as military bases, but apart from that there are no restrictions (in most countries, I wouldn't try it in North Korea or China).

Kind off off topic... I remeber when I was 10, I was flying back home to NJ, on a flight from Pheonix to Newark. I had one of those disposable cameras that you had to turn to recharge and this is what happened:I got my camera from my sweater pocket, and we turned onto the active. I started taking pictures like crazy and these cameras a pretty loud when you "recharge" the shot. *Click Click Click Click Click**SNAP!**Click Click Click Click Click**SNAP!**Click Click Click Click Click**SNAP!**Click Click Click Click Click**SNAP!**Click Click Click Click Click**SNAP!**Click Click Click Click Click**SNAP!*My mom tapped me on the shoulder and told me to stop, so I did and I noticed many people were staring at me. I asked, "Mom, people are stareing at me, its not like I have a bomb" , my mom put my hand over my mouth for the next minutes... :-lolThe acts of an innocent 10 year old child saying "bomb" on a plane, good thing it was 4 years ago... :)Sorry about boring you with my life story...*Click Click Click Click Click**SNAP!*;)

Guest Stratus_Fractus

You should really have no problem. Post 'em here later on. :-)

Classic dumb comment about China. I've lived here in the P.R.China for many years now and taking photo's at airports is not a problem at all as long as you rightly said it doesn't double up as a military base.The Chinese are second only to the Japanese in the photograph everything possible mentality.The country is so mis-represented by people in the west who don't know but make arbitary judgements.Paul Gardner

Just going from my personal experience in other communist countries Paul.Been to the USSR, GDR, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and in all you couldn't so much as look at your camera at or near an airport without being looked at as a potential spy.My parents have been to Cuba and it was pretty much the same there.

Even now in Russia, security doesn't look to keenly towards photographers at airports, if you are spotted taking pictures at Sheremetyevo or something, you can get into some trouble (not always, they can be bribed LOL) But, if any of you guys goto Greece, make sure you are VERY careful taking pictures of military aircraft. There was a few months ago, a group of British guys, who were put in jail for taking pictures of a T-2 Buckeye taking off! :(Best Regards Derek Beal :-wavePROUD RUSSIAN/CANADIAN! :D

Ok sorry I got out my pram a bit. I hear so much China bashing (especially by the US media) that it gets me cross as the Chinese are some of the nicest people I know and do not deserve the apparent media hysteria thats around.

Guest dkukla

Now this is really going back ... many years ago, back when older cameras used "flash bulbs" vs electronic flash, it was against regulations to use a camera with a flash like that on a flight. The bulbs were known to explode in "atmospheres" other than ground level. Today, I am not aware of any rules prohibiting pictures and I take them all the time out of the windows. I would guess if you were annoying some other people with a flash there may be some comments made to you but generally, I don't think there is a problem.When in doubt, ask.

Last week I had no trouble taking photos out the window on a commercial flight out of Midway Airport, Chicago. I would be courteous not to take photos generally of passengers in the cabin out of respect for privacy. See attached photo.

Guest BrownDog

No problems at all for me, although i don`t like too make it too obvious at airports