Sign in to follow this  
M_Sauce

SE Alaska RNP/RNAV Procedrues

OK, I'm just about finished coding the Alaska Airlines RNP/RNAV procedures for SE Alaska Airlines airports. This project will include the fields covered by FTX & FSAddons which are:PAGS - GustavusPASI - SitkaPAPG - PetersburgPAWG - WrangellPAKT - KetchikanThe files will include non-RNAV procedures as well, basically anything you would find in the FMCs. I've just about finished coding 4 of the fields and then they will be ready for Beta testing. My goal is to code all the ASA airports, they really do fly into some of the most challenging fields in North America and they are the pinoeers of RNP approaches. I've been having a blast designing these and can't wait for the South Alaska FTX add-on to code others like Kodiak and Juneau. OK, here are some shots for now on a test flight I did a few days ago from Sitka to Pertersburg. Flew the RNAV 05 into Petersburg and then departed on the NARRO 1 RNAV off of Rwy 23 which takes you right down the Wrangell Narrows. This linked up with the RNAV 10 into Wrangell, which has a great missed approach that winds right down the fjords and valleys south of the field. The missed approach had me divert to Ketchikan for the RNAV 28 at dusk. If you don't have these FTX/FSAddon sceneries then you are missing some beautiful terrain. Enjoy!http://www.flickr.com/photos/40232981@N07/sets/72157629552195137/

we miss the slideshowGood spot for those RNP, Alaska is really magic it's lot's of fun flyng those approch.I found http://www.juneau.org/airport/documents/AppendixJRNVImpacts.pdf but they are dated.Is there also RNP route that Alaska airline is flying? when I look in Flightaware there are always strange flight level like if they didn't respect RSVM rule..Just curiosity, I now that is not smart to fly manually RNP for precision porpouse but in the real world do they fly RNP manually?

Really looking forward to these, love flying around this area and the procedures for PASI, PAWG and PAPG will be a great help.Many thanks for your hard work, I am also enjoying the NZQN work you did, adds alot to a brilliant area!

Hey there, another sidstar creator! It would be great to compare notes on how you are generator pseudowaypoints (calc lat/lon or use COLOCATED?), you source for waypoint locations (FAA or other?) and the charts you are using for the non-published stuff.

Dan Downs KCRP

So glad someone is building these! I've been flying these RNP approachs for months with the NGX, but didnt want to post or build them for use by the NGX community due to possible conflicts of interest @ Alaska.Love that RNP 05 into PSG! Always land with a big smile on my face. They are all great to fly!!

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

Hugh, don't know why the slideshow does not work. Lets try something else...

I know how you feel Ryan! I had the same issue with my airline and their Queenstown procedures. Mariano does some tremendous work! Tremendous work indeed!Ashley Frew.

OK, I'm just about finished coding the Alaska Airlines RNP/RNAV
Wonderful stuff. The RNP bug caught you. I remember a year ago when I spent many nights until 6 AM searching for any small piece of chart and data I could find for the ZUNZ Naverus RNP approach to fill in the puzzle to be able to create them. I ended up with only a folder full of files and me waiting for the RF legs to be implemented by PMDG. You went one step farther. Well done!PS. I just finished a 5 day course on ARINC 424 format and it would be wonderful if PMDG would end up using that format of writing the procedures alternative to the present one. Pretty cool stuff being able to have a simulator to run your ARINC424 files before publishing them in real life, right at home.

Mariano, that looks really good. Might actually make me get some scenery, configs from Matt, and go see Alaska...

Yeah, for these airports and their RNP approachs to be truly appreciated, the FTX and FS Addon scenery is an absolute must.

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

Yeah, for these airports and their RNP approachs to be truly appreciated, the FTX and FS Addon scenery is an absolute must.
I would say a must. As with my NZQN, it is required to tinker with the runway threshold coordinates to achieve the best accuracy so if you are using different scenery than the one I use to code the thresholds, you will most likely loose out on some accuracy.The only airport which will be default in my release is PAGS. I thought this was covered by Tongass Fjords X, but it is not. And I found that there is a tree on short final which needs to be chopped down because it is on the PAPI GP. I might just hold off on PAGS until that airport is updated, have not decided yet.Anyways, will work on these this week and then I am passing them on to John O'Duffy who will do some beta testing and then make an installer to handle all the airports at once like with NZQN. Then they will be released into the wild for all to enjoy.

The only airport which will be default in my release is PAGS. I thought this was covered by Tongass Fjords X, but it is not. And I found that there is a tree on short final which needs to be chopped down because it is on the PAPI GP. I might just hold off on PAGS until that airport is updated, have not decided yet.
Here i can help you with an exclude http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56280345/cvx_PAGS.BGL if you need a much wider area let me know with as screenshot.

I would say a must. As with my NZQN, it is required to tinker with the runway threshold coordinates to achieve the best accuracy so if you are using different scenery than the one I use to code the thresholds, you will most likely loose out on some accuracy.The only airport which will be default in my release is PAGS. I thought this was covered by Tongass Fjords X, but it is not. And I found that there is a tree on short final which needs to be chopped down because it is on the PAPI GP. I might just hold off on PAGS until that airport is updated, have not decided yet.Anyways, will work on these this week and then I am passing them on to John O'Duffy who will do some beta testing and then make an installer to handle all the airports at once like with NZQN. Then they will be released into the wild for all to enjoy.
Can't thank you enough! This is where I do 90% of my flying.

Thanks for all the hard work. I do all my flying in Alaska so getting my hands on the RNP's would be great indeed.When you do release them will they be here or in the library?Thanks again..Charlie Coulon