Sign in to follow this  
jwk737

Viewing instruments on remote computer

Hi Rictus,

In general wcf doesn't really like ip adresses, therefore I always use hostnames. I don't know why smb would be needed for wcf connections, maybe for a wins something or what ever goes with it. Most likely a nameresolve issue then. Anyway, it works and that is what it is made for.

I'll mention this topic in the manual.

Thanks for sharing,

Johan

Hi All,

Version 0.4 is now ready for download on https://sites.google...37/home/fsx-spy

This is a major improvement in stability. It is now supposed to be resistant against all kinds of violent attacks like network drops, server restart, obscured or missing windows, plane reload, flight load etc. If you still encounter problems, please let me know.

Next items (still):

Multi viewer persistency

Auto startup

Manual

Have fun!

Johan

Hi Johan, this program is absolute genius... The only issue I see at present is that the undocked windows have to be fully visible, which kind of defeats the object of being able to load the DU's elsewhere. My primary goal is to offload the Captain's Inboard and Outboard DU's (i.e. the PFD and ND) to a networked computer that will provide displays for my main instrument panel, then run the 'cockpit windows' through my dualhead2go. But at the moment for them to appear correctly, they have to be in full view on my main computer's screen anyway. This would more easily be solved by my attaching another local monitor.

When you say v0.4 above allows for 'obscured or missing windows', does this mean I can now drag the undocked windows off the edge of my main screen and they'll still display correctly on the client?

Please do not take anything I am saying as negative criticism, what you have accomplished is a real breakthrough - but to be truly usable, there has to be a way to keep the undocked views out of site on your main pc!

Thanks again,

Richard

When you say v0.4 above allows for 'obscured or missing windows', does this mean I can now drag the undocked windows off the edge of my main screen and they'll still display correctly on the client?

No, I meant that closed or anyhow missing windows will show a pause screen and go live again as soon as the window reappears on the server.

An extra monitor just for all the undocked instruments is indeed a very practial approach.

Regards,

Johan Knol

Thanks Johan, that's what I thought you meant. For me, having the screens undocked on another monitor means I don't really need to use FSX Spy, unless I wanted to duplicate the PFD and ND if I built the First Officer's panel, which I will be doing later on :)

I'm confused by the fact that the windows should be visible. So where do you have the actual outside view? Your not flying with all that stuff in front of you, are you?

Bert Van Bulck

I don't get the value of this program either. Tried it tonight. The screen still has to have the 2D windows in front and in full view for them to transmit to the laptop properly, which totally blocks the main outside view. If you try to move the 2D window off to the edge of the screen, the laptop view of that 2D window also gets cut off.

I don't get the value of this program either. Tried it tonight. The screen still has to have the 2D windows in front and in full view for them to transmit to the laptop properly, which totally blocks the main outside view. If you try to move the 2D window off to the edge of the screen, the laptop view of that 2D window also gets cut off.

Johan has come up with a potentially really powerful and expandable system. Very early days yet, but so far he seems to have found a way to extened his original idea into something that has great potential.

He has also done this amazingly quickly,

It has great possibilities, and not just for FSX.

Maybe it is possible to move undocked windows off to a "Virtual" display, and then network them over to another computer.

Even another computer on the Internet maybe. ?

Who know what Johan will come uo with over the next few months. I shall certainly look on with great interest.

Who know what Johan will come uo with over the next few months. I shall certainly look on with great interest.

Agreed - great potential and I shall be keeping a close eye on this too! The only problem to overcome is being able to 'hide' the windows in some way so they don't take up primary screen space. I for one will promise my support to Johan and I'm sure I'm not alone :)

Hey jwk737,

Wow!! thanks so much for sharing, this is exactly what i have been looking for. I have been away from flying sims for a few months. Before i had to stop i was looking around for some options to do this. I have a small touch screen monitor that is the perfect size for the dcu. I want to be able to touch buttons on the touch screen and have them function within the sim (if that makes sense?) Will this be a function with this in the future?

Once again many thanks for taking the time do this and share it. Much appreciated i can assure you :)

Hi All,

It took a while but version 0.5 is ready. The main new feature is the "FSX Spy - Channel Guide", a sort of control center to select channels for viewing, and an overview and status of the seperate viewers. This Guide also takes care of viewers persistency.

The seconds main new feature is the server now having the possibility to pixel precise (or automatically on startup) resize and position the panels, auto undock (maybe hide?) will be for a next release.

Some smaller items:

- server: better handling of restarts, border/inside move/zoom for fine tuning selection

- viewer: rotate/flip

You can find it here: https://sites.google...37/home/fsx-spy please uninstall any previous version first.

Have fun!

Hi,

Firstly thank you, this seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

It says in your docs that the panels need to be undocked and visible, but can be hidden by the MIP or whatever.

Does this mean I can load and undock an ND on my FSX PC(1), apply the settings and have it copied to my network PC (2), Once set up can I then cover the undocked ND on my FSX PC (1) with a view, leaving just the copied ND working on my networked PC(2)?

Thank you once again for your time and software.

Leslie

Not yet. If you have a mip (main instruments panel, say the cockpits "dashboard") and you have a monitor (or 2,3 or 4) to display instruments in the mip, you can use the wasted screen space covered by the mip as a "parking area" so the panels are out of site.

The extra 4 monitors do however have an impact on your fps of the outside view on another monitor set of 3,5,.. So it is better to have just one extra screen where you park all the panels or perhaps create one panel with all the wanted gauges, haven't tried that. Now fsx only has to render the reasonably scaled panels on one extra screen, fsx spy distributes from there.

HTH,

Johan

How about the quality of the transported instruments ?

E.g. : If on the server the PFD is 400x400 pixels and on my client monitor 700x700, do I loose much sharpness ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Sorry it took so long, thought I had an email trigger on this topic?

Gerard contacted me by email, i think i should repeat my reply here.

Your outside view screens are high res (and so are pretty cheap beamers nowadays) and your mip panels probably aren't, so the 400x400 pixels will be larger anyways.

The transmitted pixels are 1:1so it's better to set the size of the instruments to their native or half size, you can find these in panel configs, bitmaps or whatever. This avoids aliasing, and a zoom of 2 will be anti aliased, so I doubt that you will notice the difference.

HTH

Johan

• Upvote 1