Sign in to follow this  
bert.laverman

Flying with FSX ATC

Has anyone any hints/experiences to help me here? I thought to build up the difficulty level by trying to use FSX's ATC, instead of going at it alone as in the Tutorial #1 flight. Apart from the learning effects, I also want this to avoid running into AI aircraft at landing.So, first thing I noticed is that the Flight Plan is mostly ignored with respect to wanted landing runway, but I guess that is unavoidable, since I now surrender myself to the ATC's choices. However, FSX appears to completely ignore airways and waypoints, even those it has. For example, coming from EHGG to EHAM (short flight) I had expected EEL1A approach, but ATC sent me straight down and overflying Soesterberg AFB. Plan-G showed no known Airways even close to where I went. Admittedly this was to line me up for 36R, but I stil have to find the approach that follows this path.Second, if I try to enable "real weather", I get frequent updates on the barometric pressure (flying at 7000 ft). Since I already was off the original plan, I was using Altitude hold. However, when I turn the knob for the new pressure setting (e.g. from 2992 to 3004) I hear an audible alert and nothing happens. Next ATC starts complaining (oh dear me, a sensitive profanity filter) about me not being where I aught to be. The only way I managed to fix this (since neither Alt Hld nor V/S are lighted) was to turn the altitude knob to re-light Altitude hold, press that to stop holding altitude, and then use V/S to get the thing to move.What is the official way of dealing with changing barometric pressures?Bert Laverman

Bert Laverman

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hello BertFSX ATC is very basic to say the leaset. It defaults to 18000ft for transition altitude which is not common in Europe. It has no SIDS or STARS as such so when you build A flight plan using the planner it will give you some basic options.Having said that you can construct a plan in the map mode & then enter the waypoints into the CDU but on approach ATC in FSX will Turn you off your approach route & use it's own until it sets you up to intercept the ILS.In the tutorials that Ryan uses he does not use ATC at all so that people get used to setting up the FMC with the CDU & are able to complete a take off with a SID & a landing with a STAR & transition.To get away with height when using ATC in FSX you must use the barametric setting that ATC give you. There are other ATC software that you can use like VOX or Vatsim but the latter is more complex but is very close to the real thing.So, use the tutorials without ATC then when you feel happy with that hand build your flight plan in the FSX planner & copy that into the FMC. Good weather programs like Active Sky 2012 or REX give you the oportunity to load your flight plans into the software which gives you the weather for departure & arrival together with the ability to align A1 traffic to active runways etc. Once you feel happy with that have a look at the other options for ATC.

To get away with height when using ATC in FSX you must use the barametric setting that ATC give you. There are other ATC software that you can use like VOX or Vatsim but the latter is more complex but is very close to the real thing.
Mike,thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what the correct way is to effectuate a change in barametric during flight? The FSX-ATC gave me new settings every now and then and just changing it doesn't immediately make the plane change height.Bert

Bert Laverman

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I prefer to use the FSX ATC IFR for approval for take-off. After take-off, I change the radio to another frequency and therefore skip the annoying ATC instructions. This procedure give me a transponder code that will make the FSX controller to avoid traffic in my direction during the flight.Marcelo

thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what the correct way is to effectuate a change in barametric during flight? The FSX-ATC gave me new settings every now and then and just changing it doesn't immediately make the plane change height.
You may want to try using VNAV (of course you would need a flightplan set into FMC to do this). When you adjust the barometric pressure Vnav will climb/descend the plane automatically to maintain the FMC programmed altitude for that portion of you flight.If you prefer to fly without FMC programmed then YOU are responsible for responding to "raw" data during the flight. That means using VOR/NDB for course guidance with the AutoPilot, or simply using HDG Select and directing your own course. In that case the autopilot in ALT HLD will do exactly that: hold "current" altitude regardless of what is set in the altitude window on the MCP. Flying under such conditions RW, would require you to climb/descend the plane manually to adjust to corrected altitude after an altimeter adjustment. That is why the use of standard pressure above a certain transition altitude was adopted. To avoid the need for constant "manual" corrections particularly in a high speed aircraft. Not unusual for barametric pressures to change over short distances in RW. My last point then is that at 7000 ft you are ABOVE the transition altitude for the airspace and you should be set to STANDARD and avoid responding to FSX ATC which only is programmed for USA transition=18000 ft msl. If you are not flying at Standard at that altitude in RW you would be in violation and a potential danger to other aircraft in your vicinity since they WOULD be using Standard. Very few FSX pilots have ever lost their "sim" licenses for such an offense, however! LOL

To change the barometric during flight simply press th "B" key and it will adjust. To get the least grief from the default ATC, load the same flight plan you are using for NGX or any other, into FSX. That will keep the ATC on the same page as you as far as altitude and direction to destination. Normally I use the default ATC to taxi & take off, then I abort the ATC and fly FMC to within 100 miles of the destination and re-activate the flight plan with the ATC to use them for vectors to the ILS.

Hello BertAdjust using the knob on the altimeter. In real life ATC will give you QFE height aboveAirfield QNH local barometric Pressure & then if you climb above transitionAltitude which can be different for different airports you would be using standard 29.92 or (10.13)So in the NGX you set transition for departure & arrival which could be 6000ft so whenYou climb above 6000ft you hit the standard button or manually insert29.92 (1013) & from this point on you are using Flught Levels. Your example would be FL 70 but FSX would notSee you at FL70 because it's default transition is 18000ft or FL180 so it would keep telling you toclimb or descend to get you on what it thinks is correct height. Imagine your eyes at sea level & you saw a plane at 10000ft above the water as that plane moved over the land it's height would be less if the land rose as in most cases, hence why theere are different pressure settings . The plan is above transition allaircraft with standard set will be able to judge their height with other aircraft & ATC can give avoidance instructions. So, to use the NGX with ATC in FSX you would have to use transition altitude if 18000ft then you should find all is well. Not accurate but at least you should be able to complete a flight.

To change the barometric during flight simply press th "B" key and it will adjust. To get the least grief from the default ATC, load the same flight plan you are using for NGX or any other, into FSX. That will keep the ATC on the same page as you as far as altitude and direction to destination. Normally I use the default ATC to taxi & take off, then I abort the ATC and fly FMC to within 100 miles of the destination and re-activate the flight plan with the ATC to use them for vectors to the ILS.
+1 or when within 50 nm of the intended airport select "nearest airport" option and request landing.

FSX ATC...just don't use it.It's not realistic, it won't give you what you want, and all it will do is frustrate you.

Agreed. Some people try so hard to make it work with FSX's ATC (building flightplans with the SID/STAR embedded in it and so on), but in the end, it's just an unrealistic pile of rubbish. On a missed approach into Chicago, I got vectored clear into Milwaukee, and then back. Terrible. That was the final time I used it, and I've never turned back.There are certain programs that come closer, but that have their own issues ("descent to be at 10,000, 50nm from the field" - you'd almost never hear an instruction like that).The best you're going to get is real ATC like VATSIM or IVAO. No experience required. Just know how to listen to and follow directions ("turn left/right to heading 000" and "climb/descend and maintain 0000").

Kyle Rodgers

I have said it, and i'll keep say it, try vatsim, you'll never look back, it's by far the best flightsim experience, it's so real and accurate, the communication are so real, i know that, i have heard real ATC a lot of time, and Hey, it's more persons for the NET, come on, I invite you.here is the web page http://vatsim.net/

The best you're going to get is real ATC like VATSIM or IVAO. No experience required. Just know how to listen to and follow directions ("turn left/right to heading 000" and "climb/descend and maintain 0000").
Except I'd have to do more than just listen and follow instructions, I would need to communicate with them and I'm not comfortable babbling a lot traffic control jargon in a family environment.

Except I'd have to do more than just listen and follow instructions, I would need to communicate with them and I'm not comfortable babbling a lot traffic control jargon in a family environment.
There are text only pilots. As an ATC-er, we'd prefer you have a headset, but text-only is an option. There is no cursing or other foul language on the scopes, so I'm not fully understanding the family environment, but if you mean you don't want to be talking when things are quiet I see where you're coming from.

Kyle Rodgers

There are text only pilots. As an ATC-er, we'd prefer you have a headset, but text-only is an option.
I have a headset but the microphone on it died for some reason, but replying in text is a problem, I don't think I can type sentences on the keyboard and fly at the same time. I've been a Vatsim member for quite some time though and just haven't got into it. ID: 919421
, but if you mean you don't want to be talking when things are quiet I see where you're coming from.
With other people in the same room watching TV or using the other computer, I'm sure it would become an annoyance very quickly :)

I have a headset but the microphone on it died for some reason, but replying in text is a problem, I don't think I can type sentences on the keyboard and fly at the same time. I've been a Vatsim member for quite some time though and just haven't got into it. ID: 919421
Yeah, I fully understand that. I refuse to fly if I don't have a mic. There's too much to respond to down low and that's too much.
With other people in the same room watching TV or using the other computer, I'm sure it would become an annoyance very quickly :)
Totally understand that part. Luckily, I can isolate myself away from other people in my room if I need to.

Kyle Rodgers