Sign in to follow this  
propkop2k2

FSearthTiles Updated Version

Hi,

This post is directed to you propkop2k2. I have read the work you have put into FS Earth and fully appreciate the work you have done, it is excellent. I have previously used FS Earth Tiles to do scenery for FSX. Like everyone else, I went through the learning curve regarding setting up the ini file for the mapping company that can't be named. etc.

I have now bought X-Plane 10 and recently purchased PhotoSceneryX to do the photo scenery. My question is this;

Can I use an .ECW file from my hard drive with FS Earth Tiles.

I have some 50cm resolution files (4 - 7 Gb files) that I wish to convert however PhotoSceneryX will not read .ECW files but will read JPEG images. To convert them to JPEG by FS Earth is my best option. All other programs I have tried change the resolution to something that defeats the purpose.

Is there a simple config change that I can do to the ini file or is it more a source code change?

Thanks

I understand ArcGIS imagery can be used freely.  They have some good maps that I'd like to access but have no idea what to add to the fsearthtiles.ini file.  ANyone?

Can I use an .ECW file from my hard drive with FS Earth Tiles.

Unfortunately not. Your best bet would be to convert them to Geotiffs and run them through the SDK manually.

I understand ArcGIS imagery can be used freely.  They have some good maps that I'd like to access but have no idea what to add to the fsearthtiles.ini file.  ANyone?

Without anyone knowing the address of the website you are getting the imagery from no one will be able to tell you what to put in the ini file.

The tile encoding also needs to be compatible with the way the program works as well.

I just used it today and it downloaded the Schiphol area for FS9 but I am seeing grayed area when using the top view.

Will try with FSX later from work :) good bandwidth there.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I just used it today and it downloaded the Schiphol area for FS9 but I am seeing grayed area when using the top view.

Will try with FSX later from work :) good bandwidth there.

Used what?  arcGIS server?

Unfortunately not. Your best bet would be to convert them to Geotiffs and run them through the SDK manually.

Without anyone knowing the address of the website you are getting the imagery from no one will be able to tell you what to put in the ini file.

The tile encoding also needs to be compatible with the way the program works as well.

Here, below is the forum server for SbuilderX, they are using all sorts of map servers including arcGIS.   If you download the arcGIS server zip then it has all the code and stuff.  But I have no clue how to implement that into FSET.

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1053&start=60

And here's the online map webpage.   They have excellent imagery especially for Switzerland which is what I'm currrently working on.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?services=10df2279f9684e4a9f6a7f08febac2a9

Used what?  arcGIS server?

What is the arcGIS server ?  I don't know that. I just download FSET from this thread I think the 2nd page and used it.

Hey guys, I have downloaded photoscenery for my hometown Bombay , But the downloaded scenery looks very dull.

If I look at NL2000 which is sharp , and the one I have downloaded is nothing compared to it.

Help please.

Well anyone know how to set this up to work with the USGS web site?

http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

This is the same service that Megascenery Earth uses. 

set this up for what ?you simply can download the data in large scale and then compile it with resample. it much easier and better than using "fs earth" or "sbuilder ".

Hi,

I just learned of FSEarthtiles--I wanted to use it to create some photorealscenery for FSX.  However I cannot get it to run--on launch I receive the error shown in the image below

Any ideas?

fsearthtileserror_zps22c44d60.jpg

Hi,

I just learned of FSEarthtiles--I wanted to use it to create some photorealscenery for FSX.  However I cannot get it to run--on launch I receive the error shown in the image below

Any ideas?

fsearthtileserror_zps22c44d60.jpg

I found the answer to my issue--it was in my service configuration.  Once I found a set of service entries that worked, the scenery compiled correctly.

John

set this up for what ?you simply can download the data in large scale and then compile it with resample. it much easier and better than using "fs earth" or "sbuilder ".

Is there any way to do this with FSearthTiles though? I don't have experience doing it the manual method, and with FSearthTiles, I literally just click a button, and it does all the work (and I like that I can edit my KML's at my leisure). This map service is of really high quality, at least for my area.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

I made some progress, but the scenery I created does not work.  The bgl's get created in the destination scenery folder, but the destination texture folder is empty.  The bitmaps are there, but they are stuck in the work folder.  Even if I manually copy them to the destination texture folder, when I load the scenery area in FS2004 I only see gray textures.   Any thoughts?

John

I made some progress, but the scenery I created does not work.  The bgl's get created in the destination scenery folder, but the destination texture folder is empty.  The bitmaps are there, but they are stuck in the work folder.  Even if I manually copy them to the destination texture folder, when I load the scenery area in FS2004 I only see gray textures.   Any thoughts?

John

I made progress for FS2004 and I posted a screenshot here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/433280-fs2004-photoreal-over-napa-valley/

Had two issues--first was wrong resample.exe and wrong imagetool.exe--had the ones from FS2002 I used for Landclass Assistant.  Second issue was my .ini file.  I had too much in it, so I cleaned it to the bare minimum.  My basic file worked after some tweaking.  Now that I have something to occupy my time, I can create photoreal scenery for FS2004, something I have wanted to do for some time since I like flying some of my old legacy aircraft.

John