Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Short field takeoff

Hi, I am familiar with short field takeoff

Guest Stratus_Fractus

BA operates 777s to SAN. Basically, I heard the procedure for takeoff at SNA with a 737 is to stand on the brakes till about 60 N1 then release and full power. I think that only the captain can do the takeoffs there as well.

There is no such thing as a short field takeoff for the airliners. You either have the required legal distances for departure or you don't. In that sense, all takeoffs are short field because the standard procedures are designed with obstacle clearance in mind. So what you end up doing is restricting your takeoff weight such that the available takeoff distance is adequate.At SNA, the non-standard procedures used by the airlines there are meant to meet noise police requirements, not runway distances. The noise abatement procedures used there are designed to allow the aircraft to achieve the highest possible altitude prior to the required noise abatement power reduction, so as not to trip the acoustic sensors and cause a monetary fine to be levied against the operator.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

No problem. :-)