Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Joshua Howard Interview with AVSIM

AVSIM Publisher Tom Allensworth and the staff of AVSIM Online interview Joshua Howard, Team Lead for MS' FLIGHT, their next generation flight simulator. Tom Allensworth begins the interview with; "Joshua, we met in December when you and your team were gracious enough to invite a number of organizations in the Flight Simulation Community to Seattle to discuss the next product in the MS Flight Simulation genre; FLIGHT. Since then FLIGHT has been launched and the anticipation that had built up over many months has been addressed.". You can read the full interview with Joshua here.

Alright! Now we get the scoop!
Admittedly, we waited for awhile, letting other organizations get a jump on us, but we wanted to wait and give the product a while to settle in with the market, and to give us some time to put our ear to the ground for nuances that others might not have heard, or were not paying attention to. I hope we were successful.

Thanks very much for this interview - I feel you asked what could have been some "touchy" questions in a very positive, honest, and forthright manner. As Mr. Howard alluded to, Flight may not be going in the direction several of the "old guard' would like it to go...but I feel they're doing what they (as the company Microsoft) feel would be most financially viable for them. This, I feel, is good - they want to grow the community for economic reasons, and it benefits us for the community to grow for future development and continuation of flight sims.While Mr. Howard still leaves a lot up in the air (pun intended), I'm thankful for the interview - well done!

I deeply appreciate the effort made to ask pertinent and salient questions, Tom. I cannot say that any of the answers surprised me in the least. The answers regarding the question of possible 3rd party involvement were encouraging.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think you were successful. You asked the right questions, he answered the best he could without giving out confidential information.We knew some answers from previous interviews and I appreciate his effort to broaden the scope.Thank you, this interview is quite informative.

I still see a bright light in our 'tunnel'. :Big Grin: Flight simulation is in for an interesting journey.

A very successful interview i think. Basically all of the questions that I would have liked asked, were. Good job Tom.

Interesting indeed, I have to wonder how much customer research they actually put into Flight. On reading the interview I would have to say not much judging by the amount of times the word "understand" was used. They really don't know their customer do they. I am not encouraged and I think they fib when they say how surprised they are at the initial take up, unless they thought the initial take up would be nil.Oh and before I am berated for being a negative Nelly, I am having a good time yet with FS2004, and an absolute ball with FSX since I got My I7 1200K CPU.

Thanks alot Tom. I can only see a good thing out of all this with Time and patience and the must important thing, Positive mature feedback will work wonders in our favor ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Interesting indeed, I have to wonder how much customer research they actually put into Flight. On reading the interview I would have to say not much judging by the amount of times the word "understand" was used. They really don't know their customer do they. I am not encouraged and I think they fib when they say how surprised they are at the initial take up, unless they thought the initial take up would be nil.Oh and before I am berated for being a negative Nelly, I am having a good time yet with FS2004, and an absolute ball with FSX since I got My I7 1200K CPU.
I also questioned how successful the new direction they took would be. But when Mr. Howard said "....our data reinforces that Flight already has a much wider audience profile than past products in the franchise......." I had to think again.

Thank you Tom for a great interview. You have successfully touched on all of the pressing questions from the community. I think FLIGHT has many engaging and immersive features and I am enjoying it for what it currently offers. That said, I was also holding out hope that FLIGHT would slowly morph into an advanced platform with most of the bells and whistles found in our beloved FSX. I am sad to hear the development team has confirmed that will not be the direction this title will be going.

When Howard said the DLC numbers were higher than their expectations and everyone here pretty much knows Alaska is going to do well also it makes you wonder why they don't release more. Even a every Tues a new DLC like XBox has for a new XBL Arcade game.Some things he mentioned might turn some people off.No entire world3PD not anytime in the near futureATC (Guess Fang and Tingley will continue to be our ATC)Transpacific Flights (shouldn't be hard for the option to flight or skip to waypoint)TrackIR sound promising for those of you guys that want it though.Also I am not sure where companies get their stats from when people want more challenges over content or new functions. Every company says that crap when forums are screaming the opposite so it makes me wonder if its employees writing in to their own ideas to support them or if they are right out to lunch to the rest of the world.

Yes, excellent interview Tom, you asked the questions many would shy from. Quite pleased with their strategy, it works well. I've done a few articles on how good cheap anaglyph 3D comes up on flight too, he needs to promote that feature more ( for Nvidia only, sorry).Can I be no. 5,375 request for trackir though?