Sign in to follow this  

need guidance t o move on to windows XP ?

hi everyone, Being the owner of 98 SE ever since time began I wouldn

Henry,One thing to consider before you move on is your hardware. The requirements that XP puts on a system are far greater than 98se.I for example, cannot upgrade to XP due to my hardware being too old (motherboard only accepts 512mb sdram - 133 fsb). This might be too little & too slow to run XP satisfactorily.To run XP successfully on my machine, I would have to upgrade almost everything, in effect building a new pc altogether.I'm sure someone with working knowledge of XP can help you out with your exact questions. I just thought I would mention the hardware issue because some acquaintances of mine ran into this problem after they installed XP. :-( Just a friendly warning,Roger

Guest drobson

No need to un-install win98 or even format the hard drive unless you want to change from a fat32 format. I just installed the Home upgrade edition over top of my WinMe, (couldn't see spending an extra 100 for the Pro), and it works very well. Wasn't sure I was going to like it, cause it is different that what I was used to, but it really does grow on you. You will no doubt find some programs that will no longer work, and probably some hardware. For me, I have a couple of older games that do not work, but I don't care, as I've not used them in a long time. Also, my scanner is incompatible, but I've been able to set it up with another computer on my home network, so it is useable.So far, I'm very pleased with it.Darrell

Hi Henry,I am running XP Home and Linux on this machine. Despite what Roger said, it works fine with 256 MB of DDR SDRAM. So, 512 MB "regular" SDRAM will probably be fine for your purposes. I see no need to get more memory than that in most cases.As Darrell now points out, you can buy an upgrade version of XP Home. I've never tried this, but it will probably work fine. The other alternative is as you say to "uninstall" Win98 (that would be a manual format, or an automatic one within the XP installation program).Some old hardware will not work with XP, which is a well-known fact. I saw this myself at one occasion. A guy I know had a dial-up modem which wouldn't work with the old drivers, obviously, and there were no new ones to find. I think the standard ones didn't work. Whatever it was... Try to find out if your hardware will be compatible with XP (actually it might be a software problem, but anyway) by visiting the manufacturers' websites. In some cases a Windows 2000 driver might work, but don't expect anything. Ask them!Some old games will not run either, or they will not run well. Is it just me, or will FS95 not work properly in XP Home? I have tried everything. Ironic it is.Regarding other system requirements I will better keep my mouth shut, as I haven't tried XP on more than one setup.Good luck.Dave (David Vuorio)

Guest Bob I

Hi Henry,FS2k2 will not run any better on XP than it does on Win98SE.Regards,Bob in sunny Florida

I'm in the same boat, too many programs (5 flightsims, and trainsim) where I don't want to have to redo two years worth of mods and tinkering. So I'm sticking with FS98 unitl I get a whole new system someday. Meanwhile if you ever get to where you need a larger hardrive, but not a whole new OS, Norton Ghost will make a perfect image of your old drive over onto your new drive and then every thing to the tiniest detail would be the same, except you would have more headroom. (Ghost is available on Norton Works OEM disks, about $20).Good Luck!== WHK ==

Guest Bernardo Lopez

Hi Henry.VYXT: We've been forced to do what you'r about to do. After a support call to Ms formatting of our harddisc, just to solve a minor problem with M.S fs.9 Our old, now, computer worked very slowly since; As you are probably aware ,nobody takes responsability!...Anyway once you get to master and understand the differences between 98SE and W.XP.Home Edition you'll see the advantages. But "Beware" with its' automatisation, selfdetect to install. I find it incomplete, even with M.S's own products, eg: Force feedback joysticks, digital cameras and etc... Consult the dealer that the machine you plan to buy will satisfy your needs, before hand. Good Shopping!BernardoP.S. I do not mean to offend Ms.with this reply

Guest glnflwrs

I have two desktop and one laptop pc. The laptop came with xp pro installed. The two desktops have 98se. After networking the three, accessing the internet with all of them, and generally being able to evaluate the pros and cons in very real time, I see no huge advantage to xp. In fact, xp requires more resources, %processor time, more drive space used, etc. and gives back only its newness and a cocky attitude.FS9 sure doesn't show any improvement over 98se.98se til I R.I.P