Sign in to follow this  
Valar

Best add-ons for newbie

Hi allSorry to hijack this topic, but I'm new to X-Plane 10 as well and I have a few general questions I hope you can help with.It concerns the planes. How much better are the payware aircraft compared to the aircraft you get with the Global DVD set? For example: are the 3D cockpits in the payware (or freeware) aircraft in a higher resolution? If so I'll definitely buy some. The default aircraft in x-plane 10 look a little blurred both inside and outside.Also is it worth waiting for dedicated x-10 aircraft? I notice that currently there doesn't seem to be any aircraft designed exclusively for x-10 (or perhaps its because all planes are backwards compatible?). As for scenery I am also supremely confused. Can you guys recommend a piece of scenery that will work with X-10? And finally, if you could recommend one general utility plane (not a heavy, please :-)) that I should get, which one would it be?Thanks for your time.

Hi Valar,For me the difference is vast between stock and payware aircraft and you should go definitely for payware aircraft having higher res textures internally and externally. AFAIK there is little support for payware aircraft for XP10 (I could be mistaken) there are notable exceptions as well, and developers are working on updates as XP10 is getting more stable and mature so this is matter of time. About scenery this is a whole new thing for me in XP10 so I'm not sure. If you are looking for great payware aircraft there are lots of great planes and if you want smaller planes you should look Carenado, X-Aviation, air.C74.net, Armchair Aviation, Heinz Aircraft, DDenn Design, J Rollon and many more. Look at X-Plane.org so you can make your choice.Good luck,Alex

Alexander Colka

Thank you alexcolka, I kind of suspected this was the case. I'll hurry over and buy something right now :-)

WOW! I just bought the V35 from Carenado and the difference is like night and day! It's like a different sim.

I'm a newbie also, came over after flight got me into it. I just got the V35 also and your right, its like night and day for a single prop with its handling.

Not a RL pilot so cannot comment on stock or payware aircraft at least on flight dynamics for XPX. As to the graphics details the stock cessna has a good quality dashboard but it lacks in the outer parts. I think there are payware aircrafts like Carenado but maybe limited.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I just bought and installed the Real Scenery for Oregon and wow.... am I disappointed. The resolution is a lot worse than the stock textures, it just looks really bad. I went to Portland to check out the airport and there were nothing there, just a flat runway, no buildings... is it supposed to be like that or did I do something wrong with the installation?edit: link http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=44

I just bought and installed the Real Scenery for Oregon and wow.... am I disappointed. The resolution is a lot worse than the stock textures, it just looks really bad. I went to Portland to check out the airport and there were nothing there, just a flat runway, no buildings... is it supposed to be like that or did I do something wrong with the installation?edit: link http://www.x-aviatio...&products_id=44
Have you checked your texture resolution in the settings?Oregon.png

I agree that is a nice screenshot, but if you're within 4000 feet of the ground, the textures are totally washed out.

A screenshot or 2 from you would give us a better idea of what you're talking about.Also, what are your texture resolution settings?

Ok here a screenshot from Portland, extreme resolution.X-Plane%202012-03-25%2000-35-29-98.jpg

I'm not a scenery developer, so I'm not sure about the intricacies about these kinds of things.Maybe you should post this in the RealScenery forums and see if Eric (the developer) can elaborate a bit more for you.Could you possibly post a screenshot of your rendering and settings page? There might be something in there that could give us an answer.

Sure, here are my settings.I must say I feel a little sad to have spent 30 bucks or whatever on that scenery when the stock scenery is actually better. In the countryside in Oregon, away from the cities the stock landscape is pretty good, looks totally like google earth.X-Plane%202012-03-25%2000-58-53-36.jpg

Guest Antlab

From the rendering settings you posted I noticed that you selected "Compress textures to save VRAM". Did you try with the option unchecked (and probably decreasing the texture resolution to avoid a too large memory occupation)?By reading the manual it seems that the texture compression can have a big effect on the appearence of the scenery.A.