Sign in to follow this  
taknbyd

FSX on SSD and HDD....

I have a 120gb SSD drive that has about 50gb left on it. I also have 600gb HDD drive. The SSD drive has my OS on it and is super fast when loading up windows. I have FSX on my HDD drive right now, and although I don't know what type of HDD drive it is, I do know that it has to be extremely slow considering that it is about 6 years old. I was thinking about putting my fsx on the SSD drive but was worried about it sucking up my SSD space. I'm sure the performance would be better on the SSD drive, but was hoping that there was some way to install FSX on the SSD, but putting other folders on the HDD, folders that are not in use much or something like that. Was curious if this was possible, and if so, how?One more quick question... When installing FSX, I have heard that it is best to install it in it's on directory, like C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, instead of going through program files and all that. Is this true or just a myth? Thanks again guys!

It's not a myth, it's a good idea...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's indeed a good idea to install inside C:/FSX or something like that. The reason for that is because the Program Files folder is a protected folder, and if some kind of programm tries to install there, Windows might think it's up to something bad, and this might screw up and add-on installation sometimes.For your HDD. I went from and SSD to and HDD, I did not see any performance increase at all, but now I do not have any stutters anymore related to HDD access. With stutters I mean short 0.5 second lockups that happen every now and then. I btw upgraded from a 5400 RPM 32MB cache Caviar Green, so that was a slow HDD. With a 7200 RPM 64MB cache HDD or 10,000 RPM HDD you should be perfectly fine, and you probably won't notice any stutters with the faster HDD's at all.SSD's are very expensive and are full in a matter of weeks if you have a lot of add-ons. The only good thing is that FSX loads up faster, although not as fast as I initially expected.

I am planning to have an SSD (120 or 250G) for FSX. Large photosceneries in a HDD. the loading time on FSX is so irritating with the number of addons that I have.As for your specific question about moving your FSX. You don't have to reinstall FSX just in case you may not be aware. You can just move it over and there is a way to tell the registry the new location for FSX. I believe Flight 1 has a download tool for this... I am pretty sure.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have a 120gb SSD drive that has about 50gb left on it.
Yes, do whatever you can to make more room, unless youre a non-addon kinda a guy. If youre planning on running REX, GEX, Orbx, NGX, UTX, Global terrain data and more, I would not have installed it on that SSD, as it would be very little space left for anything. I know that you can fill up an SSD to the max without noticing performance decrease, however, it really sucks if you have a filled up SSD and you have to delete add-ons to make room for new ones..But thats personal preference.I currently have a WD 1TB HDD for all the crap i download and so on. Then I have an 80GB Intel 320 SSD for Win7 only, and a OCZ vertex 250GB SSD for FSX only. I bought that big SSD just to make shure I didnt bottleneck a good system, but to be honest, I really dont think you notice the difference unless its the OS you run from it.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Yes, do whatever you can to make more room, unless youre a non-addon kinda a guy. If youre planning on running REX, GEX, Orbx, NGX, UTX, Global terrain data and more, I would not have installed it on that SSD, as it would be very little space left for anything.
That's the thing... I do use those addons, well at least REX, GEX, NGX, UTX, FEX, as well as some other sceneries.... But my question still lies on is there any way to split up files/folders between hard drives but yet still be able to run FSX?

I run all those addons (except REX and global terrain data whatever that is) on my 120GB SSD and there' still about 50GB free. I use:FEXGEX USA/CanadaUTXFSGenesis USA 19m meshOrbx PNW/NRM + many orbx airportsMany 3PD aircraft and scenery addons (about 30 total installed right now)The key is to put the backup textures or install locations for GEX on your other drive. GEX folder is huge but only the needed files reside on my SSD for FSX to function. Can't recall if FEX does it the same way or not.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The key is to put the backup textures or install locations for GEX on your other drive. GEX folder is huge but only the needed files reside on my SSD for FSX to function. Can't recall if FEX does it the same way or not.
Whoa! Ofcourse! Totally forgot about that option. That does save you alot of space. And Ryan, you should really try out REX2, its just "aahhhh, ohhhh, woooooow":-)
That's the thing... I do use those addons, well at least REX, GEX, NGX, UTX, FEX, as well as some other sceneries.... But my question still lies on is there any way to split up files/folders between hard drives but yet still be able to run FSX?
Its possible, but it is depending on the ad-ons youre gonna be running. You may just be able to make it. Make shure theres nothing on the SSD but the OS and give that a try.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB