Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fs_av

XPX or Prepar3d Academic ?

X-Plane 10 is definitely the one for you if you're concerned about the future. The P3D academic license is like those student versions of Photoshop or Microsoft Office that are only intended for those actively enrolled in an educational program and require proof of enrollment to be elegible for the discount (in the case of Photoshop and Microsoft Office, the license has to be renewed annually; I assume it's the same with P3D). After that you gotta pony up $200 for the professional license.XPX has the distinct advantage here because for only $30 more than the P3D academic license, you get an actively developed high-end flight simulator that you can use for as long as you have a computer that can run it.It looks like a pretty clear-cut choice. Thanks for asking! :(
From my posts I don't think I have encouraged use of p3d so lets be clear about that. Furthermore I don't discourage use of it or think it is a good idea to spread anymore false information about which which has been done in the past and seems to continue to be done. I look forward to seeing what v2.0 brings us as I look forward to advancements in any serious flight simulator. I will buy it if it brings me something I want. To clear up your post MM, where did you get any of your information? Who said you require proof of eligability, who said you should be concerned about the future of p3d? Who said (you didn't you assumed) you have to pony up $200? Whether it's xpx, fsx, prepared or anything else I appreciate informed information and yours contains information I have not heard anywhere before. A number of people have bought p3d academic, to qualify for the licence you must be 'Academic licensing can be purchased for educational efforts at or below the undergraduate level.'. It also specifies home use. If you think you use flight simulators as part of a learning experience then you can get it, we have been told that I just went through the checkout process without purchasing it and it did not ask me for any proof, I stopped just before the payment page. Other people have paid for it and did not require any academic id, enrollment form etc. I appreciate you like xpx but it will stand on it's own merit, not the made up deficiencies of other sims.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

To clear up your post MM, where did you get any of your information? Who said you require proof of eligability, who said you should be concerned about the future of p3d? Who said (you didn't you assumed) you have to pony up $200?
http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-license-comparison/The academic license is explicitly intended for undergraduate students, so I just assumed like other academic software licenses that it required proof of eligibility. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I did clearly state that it was merely an assumption.That said, given the terms of the licensing agreement, it would seem that it's a matter of personal ethics and one's own conscience if they want to use it for long-term non-academic use.

We know we are not allowed to talk about the licensing so we may as well stop. What we do know is that the developers have given us the OK and the only people who are putting up opposition are the guys who have no intention of using it. You showed the license comparison page which shows what you are allowed to do with the license, it's clear from that you cannot use it for commercial use. The academic page says you can use it for classroom, home or educational programs. Anyway, my point was that you said how the license worked, compared it to how others worked and stated it would work the same. It doesn't work that way. You then went on to say XPX has the distinct advantage of being an 'actively developed' high end sim that you can continue to run in the future. You're directly implying p3d does not have this as well. If that doesn't tick all the FUD boxes I don't know what does.

We are six years down the track. There is plenty of software that didn't run well when it first came out but hardware progressed.I have to say that if I had just done that with XPX it would be adieu to XPX as well but it will also get better through better hardware and software optimisations. If thats your only complaint then you may very well like the performance of fsx or p3d compared to xpx at this point in time.
You're right, hardware progressed a lot since 2006, but hardware can't improve software, nor change the features or flight models, nor remove bugs. Hardware can only allow you to display more slides per second, use higher settings, or install more detailed add-ons within many limits. With software you need real support and a strong commitment from the authors. You can possibly replace that with a better open license and an active community, or the source code with a strong knowledge.I ordered X-Plane 10 the 1st day I was able to download and test the demo in November last year, because I noticed that with X-Plane 9 like settings and add-ons, it performed better than X-Plane 9. I could enjoy it immediately and knew the Laminar Research team will continue to improve it and listen to their customers. It was already awesome for a 1st "beta", and I still use X-Plane 10 today with my Core 2 / 8800GT system, with all my X-Plane 9 add-ons.It's nice to see that FSX fans may also have a solution for the future of their favorite software. This may lower the number of desperate comments I'm reading since January 2009. Competition and diversity is good. But I also highly doubt that Prepar3D will attract X-Plane users.

You're right, hardware progressed a lot since 2006, but hardware can't improve software, nor change the features or flight models, nor remove bugs. Hardware can only allow you to display more slides per second, use higher settings, or install more detailed add-ons within many limits. With software you need real support and a strong commitment from the authors. You can possibly replace that with a better open license and an active community, or the source code with a strong knowledge.I ordered X-Plane 10 the 1st day I was able to download and test the demo in November last year, because I noticed that with X-Plane 9 like settings and add-ons, it performed better than X-Plane 9. I could enjoy it immediately and knew the Laminar Research team will continue to improve it and listen to their customers. It was already awesome for a 1st "beta", and I still use X-Plane 10 today with my Core 2 / 8800GT system, with all my X-Plane 9 add-ons.It's nice to see that FSX fans may also have a solution for the future of their favorite software. This may lower the number of desperate comments I'm reading since January 2009. Competition and diversity is good. But I also highly doubt that Prepar3D will attract X-Plane users.
If you are happy there is no reason to move, thats not what I am advocating. I am just saying that if you walked away completely from something based on how it worked the day it was released you could be missing out and I am sure you have. At the minimum you have missed out on seeing how good it can be even if it's still not your cup of tea. As I say, if I did the same I would never have bought xpx because the demo did not run well. Like you say, I knew it would improve and so does fsx run better than it did 6 years ago. I don't expect or hope p3d will take away users from xpx, if it pans out well it will be a good progression for people who are happy with FSX and the $$ they have put in to their addons. New users can make their own minds up which way they go. If they are like me they will own them all :)

The academic license is explicitly intended for undergraduate students, so I just assumed like other academic software licenses that it required proof of eligibility. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I did clearly state that it was merely an assumption.
Reread that more carefully and less selectively. The precise words used are: Individual student use, K-12 and undergraduateYes, even kindergardeners are allowed to use the "Student" version. Note that Graduate students are excluded. They must use the "Professional" version.BTW, no one is carded or otherwise required to prove their student enrollment status when purchasing a license... :(

The implications of the new license are more for 3rd party developers than end users. I think it's best to leave it at that.

What's a better deal, XPX or the Prepar3D Academic with an eye towards the future ?How can one pass up on Prepar3d Academic at $50 vs XPX at $79 ?http://www.prepar3d....par3d-academic/Prepar3d Features
  • Virtual world with 40 high-detail cities and more than 24,900 airports
  • Environment includes highway, air and maritime vehicles and traffic
  • Realistic livestock and wild animals
  • Accurate topography with regionally appropriate textures
  • Modifiable real-time weather system, continuous time of day, seasons and a variety of lighting effects
  • Expandable library of vehicle models
  • Customizable, data driven graphics and models

Uses

• Classroom
  • Home
  • Educational programs, such as summer camps and after school programs

Price : $49.95

REALLY ????Is your LIFE that miserable that you can't find something more constructive to do with your time then troll on the XPX forum ??

REALLY ????Is your LIFE that miserable that you can't find something more constructive to do with your time then troll on the XPX forum ??
A pictures worth a 1000 words. Or at least -12 of them.fs_av.png :Whistle:I've never seen a negative reputation (especially one that bad) after just 6 weeks of joining avsim.

Am I alone in finding this thread weird. Is this guy (fs_av) a troll?Minos

No, and he is a troll, with nothing else to do. I'm actually enjoying aspects of MS Flight right now, but do you see me raving on about it here or in the MSFS or FS4 forums? Its just S%$# stirring, that's all it is. Insulting to the fans as well. He should be flying or talking to his many friends at his own forums..

strider1, GoranM, Minos, Simmo W, etc. and other X-plane diehards (and I used to be one) :Are you guys so devoid of any ideas that you have to resort to character attacks rather adding or countering the OP ?

X-plane diehards (and I used to be one)
That's interesting. What's your favorite flight simulator today ?

strider1, GoranM, Minos, Simmo W, etc. and other X-plane diehards (and I used to be one) :Are you guys so devoid of any ideas that you have to resort to character attacks rather adding or countering the OP ?
The only character attacks I have seen are from you towards Austin and the LR team.If it bugs you that much, report us.

Ha, and you clearly didn't read my last post, I'm hardly a 'diehard', or else I wouldn't be frequenting the Flight forums POSITIVELY. I could troll it like you are doing here, poking fun at the (sometimes) silly looking clouds or ring collection games, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Just the same with Xplane. And I'd never waste my time to troll at the FSX forums. Both Xplane and Flight have a future, whereas FSX and P3D, without an iron lung and/or lobotomy, will die a slow, painful death of a thousand cuts.There, that feels better!

Both Xplane and Flight have a future, whereas FSX and P3D, without an iron lung and/or lobotomy, will die a slow, painful death of a thousand cuts.
Ultimately it it gives you some fun then it's not too bad, you dont always have to be where the future is going in the beginning. A lot of us spend $80 regularly on games so if a flight sim only lives 2/3 years that sure as heck beats the $80 per year upgrade for a lot of the FPS titles around.

We know we are not allowed to talk about the licensing so we may as well stop. What we do know is that the developers have given us the OK and the only people who are putting up opposition are the guys who have no intention of using it. You showed the license comparison page which shows what you are allowed to do with the license, it's clear from that you cannot use it for commercial use. The academic page says you can use it for classroom, home or educational programs. Anyway, my point was that you said how the license worked, compared it to how others worked and stated it would work the same. It doesn't work that way. You then went on to say XPX has the distinct advantage of being an 'actively developed' high end sim that you can continue to run in the future. You're directly implying p3d does not have this as well. If that doesn't tick all the FUD boxes I don't know what does.
That honestly wasn't my intent. As I said, I made some incorrect assumptions based on academic licenses for other software products.