Sign in to follow this  
antic81

GTX 680

Hi there,I was wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to give Nvidias latest a go and if so what are your thoughts as far as performance goes (in comparison to say the 580?)I am moments (weeks) from building the big rig and am wondering if I should go for the 680 over the 580...although its a fair bit more expensive, also whats the feelings on the Video memory (2 MB GDDR5) would that lead to instability with FSX as a platform?Any thoughts?Cheers,Anthony

Anthony Milner

Really curious to this as well. I would like a comparison between the GTX 580 and GTX 680. I hope this card rocks with FSX! In the hardware forums, there is guy who will get this GTX 680 tomorrow or Wednesday he said. We will probably know how good is it by the end of this week. :(

Yeah that will be great - they have only just released them over here in the UK - just saw some reviews on a site that buy my gear from - seems they should be with people in the next few days so will make for some interesting reading!

Anthony Milner

680 has a couple of new iq settings that the 580 doesn't have. I've no idea if they help with fsx or not. Even if they do I seriously doubt it'd be very significant.

i would like to know if cross firing to GTX 580 super-clocked be better than upgrading to a GTX 680. I already have a GTX 580.

Im not getting my hopes up, but you never know. There are developers out there being able to do things with FSX, unheard of just 4-5 years ago, so my hope is that as time progress, the GPU`s willgive us better performance on a balanced system. But in the case of just swapping a GTX580 with a 680, I doubt that youll notice.It depends on if youre gonna do Ivy Bridge perhaps.. With the SB I dont think youll notice any difference between 580 and 680, but hey, I may ofcourse be wrong!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Do you mean sli? Then no. Sli (nvidia's equivalent of ati's crossfire) will likely hurt fsx performance. Bridging video cards places an extra small load on the CPU, which is a bad thing for CPU-limited programs like fsx.The only reason you'd want sli in fsx is to span your vc across 3 monitors using nvidia surround, which requires sli. This is also why the 580 is recommended and not the 590--it has 2 onboard gpu's.

Well i've just got my GTX580. So for me i'll get all excited when they announce a processor that makes the 2600k look like a snail.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I just heard that Zotac is developing a GTX 680 with a GPU clock of 2000 MHz, EVGA is developing a GTX 680 that will run at 1800 MHz, and no this is not the shader clock, but the GPU clock! I know that FSX doesn't take much advantage of the type of chip, but it does take advantage of the speed of the chip!

To be honest Ken, I am half in the mindset of waiting for the Ivys to come out anyway... I mean it would be a bit silly to run out of patience now and go with the SB with just a few months to go.I dont know if my patience will hold out though as I have been without FS for about 2 years now since the old rig went pop (P4 3.2 gig) and the site I use does build I7 2700ks overclocked to 4.8 Gigs (overclockers.co.uk) not sure how much longer I can hold out as at the moment I really miss flying my desk! :-)

Anthony Milner

I mean it would be a bit silly to run out of patience now and go with the SB with just a few months to go.
And I waited for the SB instead of going for the AMD Phenom, and boy I did not regreat that!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

I'm holding out for the ATI 7700 seriesJon.
Why? Nvidia cards are pretty much always going to be better than ATI in FSX - I don't believe that has changed with the 7 series. I was directly told by ATI that they didn't care about the simming community back when I had one.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Why? Nvidia cards are pretty much always going to be better than ATI in FSX - I don't believe that has changed with the 7 series. I was directly told by ATI that they didn't care about the simming community back when I had one.
Ok so what's the best card out there right now or coming soon for us simmers? Jon