Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Has anyone tried the Electronic Flight Bag For FSX? Where does it display?

Hi Everyone:I have a chance to purchase the Electronic Flight Bag for FSX. It looks really nice, but I don't get something... where actually does it display? Do you have to keep leaving FSX to view any and all of its contents? I mean if I want to see an approach plate, do I have to minimize FSX in the middle of a flight to see the chart in the Adobe Acrobat Reader? And what about taxiing around the airport - will the map of the airport be visible within FSX in real time so I can see where I actually am?Thanks,Chris Catalano

Depends which EFB you mean, there is more than one. Most of them display in windowed mode, so you either need them on another monitor, or have to alt-tab out of FS to view them, or have them as a window when in windowed mode in FS. Aivlasoft's is the one most like you find airlines using, and it is excellent. That is not to say that other ones are no good, the FS Widgets one is pretty good as well. I have them both.Actually, scratch that, I just checked and I evidently lost the installation exe for FS Widgets in my recent back up external HD crash, so now I no longer have that one in spite of buying it, so make sure you back it up carefully to avoid that if you buy it from Simmarket, because they don't save your D/L link to it, as I've just discovered LOLAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

so you either need them on another monitor, or have to alt-tab out of FS to view them, or have them as a window when in windowed mode in FS
So can you run FSX in fullscreen mode on your main monitor and have Aivlasoft's EFB on your second monitor? Or does the EFB always require that FSX be run in windowed mode?

Nah, you can run one in windowed and one in full screen if you like as far as I'm aware. To be honest though, alt-tabbing it does okay. That's what I do, and it's perfectly adequate.Al

Alan Bradbury

make sure you back it up carefully to avoid that if you buy it from Simmarket, because they don't save your D/L link to it
I buy stuff from simmarket myself and I can download my files anytime ?

So do I, but some things are not sold in that way, including FS Widgets and Simplates. I have no link to downloads for either of those purchases. Most of my other purchases yes, but not those two.Al

Alan Bradbury

Actually, scratch that, I just checked and I evidently lost the installation exe for FS Widgets in my recent back up external HD crash, so now I no longer have that one in spite of buying it, so make sure you back it up carefully to avoid that if you buy it from Simmarket, because they don't save your D/L link to it, as I've just discovered LOLAl
Al, I believe all you buy is a registration code,you download the demo and then unlock it as per the simmarket webpage : http://secure.simmarket.com/fswidgets-electronic-flight-bag-fsx.phtmlI have had a few crashes but never have had problems retrieving the FSwidgets EFB after themeven if I did not have it backed up.Install the demo, input registration, done.cheersJP.

Its a wonderful app - I use it for my planning and execution of all airliner flights.It would be perfect if they actually had a VC panel pop-up/plugin you could access without having to alt/tab...

Aivlasoft's product works fine networked. I run it on a separate machine myself, great product.Bryan.
I agree .. super product.

Depends which EFB you mean, there is more than one. Most of them display in windowed mode, so you either need them on another monitor, or have to alt-tab out of FS to view them, or have them as a window when in windowed mode in FS. Aivlasoft's is the one most like you find airlines using, and it is excellent. That is not to say that other ones are no good, the FS Widgets one is pretty good as well. I have them both.Actually, scratch that, I just checked and I evidently lost the installation exe for FS Widgets in my recent back up external HD crash, so now I no longer have that one in spite of buying it, so make sure you back it up carefully to avoid that if you buy it from Simmarket, because they don't save your D/L link to it, as I've just discovered LOLAl
Al, check with Simmarket, I have 4 long pages of purchases with them over the last 7 years, and I have access to every single download, via My Account > My Orders. Check 'My Orders' rather than 'My Downloads' because in my experience the latter can have some missing.

I have the aivlasoft running on a separate networked computer. Incredibly simple to set up and works like a charm.

It does everything for me and more - works very good on network and the forum is very good and responsive.All the bestDmb

Al, check with Simmarket, I have 4 long pages of purchases with them over the last 7 years, and I have access to every single download, via My Account > My Orders. Check 'My Orders' rather than 'My Downloads' because in my experience the latter can have some missing.
Oh I know that, I've been buying stuff off them for getting on for ten years, but there is no download link for every file listed, most of them yes, but not all of them, although JP is correct in regard to the download for FS Widgets being the demo, which your serial unlocks, but that's not true for Simplates. Funnily enough, this is also true for the Avsim store. I lost the exe file for the Wilco regional jets which I bought not long ago from Avsim as well in that HD crash, and the order is listed, but there is no D/L link. The orders are there on Simmarket. See for yourself...image.jpgimage1.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury