Sign in to follow this  
SetSpeed

Wing anti-ice valve problem

Hello! I have noticed that the wing anti ice valve will not open without engine or apu bleed pressure. The manual says the wing anti ice valves are ac motored valves and do not require air pressure to open. Can any real world pilot here confirm which is correct?Thanks

I'm not a real pilot of the 737 and I haven't really bothered reading up about it for the NGX as icing isn't modelled properly in FS, but using a bit of common sense I came to the conclusion that the the Anti Ice system uses hot bleed air to melt the ice, or at least stop it forming in the first place and it probably inflates rubber boots as well to break away ice. There is not a lot of point annunciating the fact that the system is working (valve is open) if there is no bleed air there as well, because it clearly cannot be working without the bleed air. I probably am completely wrong though, lol.

Cheers, Andy.

Andydigital: there are no rubber boots on 737. The system is all hot air. Note that bleed air is required for wing anti ice to work, although valves themselves might move without it.

Yeah i wasn't sure about the boots, didn't think there were any but mentioned it anyway, but as i said there is no point annunciating that the system is on if there is no bleed air getting to the anti ice system

Cheers, Andy.

The valve is fully electrical, 115V AC powered.I must check on the NGX, but, keep in mind that on ground, the WTAI will turn to OFF if thrust levers are advanced.Make sure they are in idle.The valve will close also in case of overheat, but, as you have no pressure, probably you are not in overheat conditions.I will check it on my ngx ;)

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Hello! I have noticed that the wing anti ice valve will not open without engine or apu bleed pressure. The manual says the wing anti ice valves are ac motored valves and do not require air pressure to open. Can any real world pilot here confirm which is correct?Thanks
There is no need for Pneumatic power to open the Wing Thermal Anti-ice valve's (WTAI) , These valve are AC electrically operated. You noticed it correctly on the NGX that the WTAI valve's doesn't open when there is no pneumatic power available. Only make sure that the Thrust Levers are at Idle.

Mark Scheerman

Boeing 737-6/7/8/900 Ground Engineer

I tried, you found a little issue with the valve... You could send a ticket to see if they solve it in sp2

Regards

Andrea Daviero