Sign in to follow this  
Oracle427

Multiplayer and Children

So I have a question and concern about etiquette when in multiplayer on a server full of respectful players who are having fun and asking questions about Flight, and aviation in general.You can tell they are relatively young from the types of questions they ask, but they have a good attitude and are hungry for knowledge. I'm happy to help them figure out how to beat a challenge or get an achievement with encouragement and advice.Last night, this was the case, and I would learn that he was a third of my age! :Hypnotized:Now, I'm all for helping out people and fostering the new blood coming in to the community. This kid mentioned that he wants to become a pilot and was very inquisitive.However, I feel very weird speaking to someone's young child as a total stranger. This kid is younger than my son and I wouldn't want him talking to any old stranger on the 'net. I guess you could ask what his parents are doing letting him go onto the 'net like that, but it does bother me a little.What do you think?

Consider yourself lucky when you see a young child acting appropriately in game. I've watched my brothers play on XBOX Live and I have a PS3 I fire up occassionally and the behavior is apalling from both children and adults.I've got my hands full with my own kids. I won't try to parent someone elses for the count of situations to be handled must be in the millions. If I'm the host, act like an adult, don't be disruptive, or you get booted with negative feedback on your Live account.

Amen to what Jason said. If they aren't mature enough to play well with others, they get a Mute, Kick, & Avoid from me.For what it's worth though, here's the bits from the terms of use regarding age:

If you allow or enable a minor to use your Service account or an associated account, then:
  • You represent that you are the parent or legal guardian of such minor;
  • You acknowledge that some features of the Service, and some content available through the Service, may contain or expose users to material that is unsuitable for minors. You agree to supervise usage by minors whom you permit or enable to use the Service. The Service is not intended for use by children under 13 without adult supervision;
  • You acknowledge that we offer "Parental Controls" to help you restrict purchases and limit access to material that may be unsuitable for minors. For example, we offer "Family Settings" on the Xbox 360 console and on the Service. You may view or revise your Parental Controls by logging into your account on http://www.xbox.com. Additional information about Parental Controls is available at http://www.xbox.com/support; and
  • You are responsible for any material that a user of your Service account accesses or is denied access to (including as a result of your use or non-use of Parental Controls). You acknowledge that use of Parental Controls is not a substitute for your personal supervision of minors that use your Service account.

Essentially, we have no duty to try to protect the kids on the server. It's their parents fault if they encounter unpleasantness. Personally, I feel better just booting them and not having to worry about it, it's easier on my cold and tiny heart.

I dont know why you are so uncomfortable talking to a young person or even child. A lot of guys around here just sound like grumpy old farts. Yes, I understand that young people can be immature and annoying, and I have no problem muting or kicking them or whatever action is necessary. But really, they are just kids, its nothing to get upset over, we were all annoying little kids at one point who did something immature or bratty. Its just human nature.Things have changed since we were kids. If my child, whether he was 8 or 15 or 25, whatever, if he acts responsibly and I know I can trust them, I would have no gripes about letting them game online or use the internet for other purposes. Why would you question their parents decision when you know probably nothing at all about them? If you are concerned about abuse they may receive, they could receive the same abuse walking down the street or going to school.Everyone is different. It sounds like the kid you spoke with was a nice, respectful and inquisitive kid. Thank you for not shutting them down instantly and actually giving them a chance and helping them. Younger folks get a lot of slack from some of the old timers and I for one do not stand for it. Most of the time, these kids just want someone to talk to and to feel like they are a part of something. As I said, there are also a ton of annoying twits who have no business being on a computer, but i find for the most part, kids get a lot of unwarranted grief. I know people who will kick others just because their username seems immature or has "1995" in it or something. These are just grumpy old men who are just as immature as the prepubescent teens they hate so much.

I understand what your saying...especially with all the child abuse cases you hear about now adays. But if some kid asked you a question in public would you ignore them? I dont see any reason to ignore them here if they're asking genuine questions. Pretty much all games now adays have voice chatting so it's pretty common, and I dont think people think it's as strange as it might of been 10 years ago. Kid's are growing up with the xbox now where you can talk to anyone your gaming with so it's really not that uncommon.

I've only booted one guy from a session... I was just doing a Biplane Tour, and several people joined my session, and they were all doing the usual stuff around Hilo... then they get into calling each other names, and the next thing I know, several of them are asking me to boot this one guy... Instead of booting him then, I just warned them all to stop with the profanity... moments later, the offensive guy is spouting vulgar insults again... so I booted him...THEN... about 10 minutes later... he comes right back IN!Are boots just momentary? Can you permanently boot someone?I was under the mistaken impression that once someone was booted they couldn't come back...

I've only booted one guy from a session... I was just doing a Biplane Tour, and several people joined my session, and they were all doing the usual stuff around Hilo... then they get into calling each other names, and the next thing I know, several of them are asking me to boot this one guy... Instead of booting him then, I just warned them all to stop with the profanity... moments later, the offensive guy is spouting vulgar insults again... so I booted him...THEN... about 10 minutes later... he comes right back IN!Are boots just momentary? Can you permanently boot someone?I was under the mistaken impression that once someone was booted they couldn't come back...
You have to keep booting them unfortunately. Or, just set your match to private for a few minutes and they will usually give up, then switch it back to public. MS should really fix this, if you get booted, you shouldnt be able to rejoin right away, or at all for that matter.

Amazing... So you're going to mute me. I'm a 14 year old who goes to high school and barely even uses the mic.Oh well, if you mute me, it's either because I'm spamming, being stupid, or doing something stupid.Trust me, many niners at Canadian high schools are very mature.

I don't care what age someone is. If someone starts spouting off and they can't be banned, then the only option we have left is to mute them and hope you don't go kamikaze!

Go in to the family settings for the live account and you can turn it on (no voice apart from with people on friends list, I think it might block messages from randoms and it limits the games that can be played by age rating)

Meh, I started using my mic in Team Fortress 2 when I was 12 and no one complained. I was smart enough that spamming wasn't the way to go. :( So if you hear me on the mic, I'll prob either communicating about anything related to the game.

That defeats the purpose of welcome new players to the hobby. I would want to keep the server open.