Sign in to follow this  
Misha_K

Gauge versus Guage ??

Guest jaapverduijn

A spell checker can't do anything about the eternal confusion between "their", there" and "they're", because all three are correct spellings. Nor would it keep the great unwashed from writing "I should of done that". Many native English speakers have little knowledge of the spelling and the grammatical structure of their own language, which is a shame because it's usually the only one they speak. A spell checker can only mask SOME of this ignorance, but not all. It also tends to encourage people to learn even less, because the spell checker takes care of some of their mistakes anyway.The situation is quite embarrassing: non-native speakers, who learned English as a second or third language, often have a better command of it than its native speakers. Jaap Verduijn.(Edited in order to correct a spelling error - wide and wicked grin!)

I once asked where the washroom was in a Holiday Inn in the US and found myself in the laundry room...... :-hmmm HENRY CYXT CANADA :-)

HenryWhat's wrong with the word 'toilet'?Just kidding mate ;-)Gavin - an English teacher - who makes many mistakes when trying to type quickly!

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

>The situation is quite embarrassing: non-native speakers, who>learned English as a second or third language, often have a>better command of it than its native speakers. I think you meant to say - "The situation is quite embarrassing: non-native speakers, who learned English as a second or third language, often have a better command of it than its' native speakers. "You left out the possessive case apostophe in the third last word !!! :( Barry

LOL LOL LOL. Can't say it often enough! :-lolGood one here. :-rotor Great thread. :-hah About the initial thing with 'guage', :-erks I am also seeing this VERY often. :-jumpy x( But regarding FS, 'guage' won't make it in the panel.cfg so better stick with 'gauge', people. :-smoochThanks for posting! It was time. :(Etienne :-wave

Same deal for Aussie english. Bazza, relent!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I too vote "loose" as one of the most loosely (or is that losely :-hah) used words in this forum. Remember folks, loose rhymes with goose, and lose rhymes with booze hehe!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Nice one indeed, but there are more problems like this. We often get questions from people that complain the scenery has no textures and then it seems they have called their texture folder textures, which FS can't find of course :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Not to mention the prolific use of "hanging boogies". :-lol My favorite is also people using genitive 's instead of plural s. Misha