Sign in to follow this  
jcboliveira

Maule challenges depend on Hawaii DLC?

Correction: Light cargo is level 5, medical flight (2 passenger) is level 7, clandestine cargo is level 9, passenger flights (3 or 4 passengers) is level 11.

Maule landing challenge 1 is on the main island. I haven't tried it yet, don't know where the other Maule landing challenges are.

You only get two paint schemes with the Maule, blue and gold. You don't unlock any others.

Any other questions? What exactly was your complaint?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

thanks for the help hook.

I couldn't find any clandestine jobs on my first pass look after purchasing the Maule, nor have I ever casually seen one; however, the default cargo jobs (chickens, peoples, 800lbs of cats, etc) have always been there. I'm level 12. I've been flying regularly since launch date, and have had the maule preview content for more than a week or two. I have just finished installing the rest of Hawaii, so I won't be able to confirm whether or not clandestine is part of the purchased Maule dlc, Hawaii adventure pack, or both.

Yes, the short time I have had in the maule- one circuit now, has already boosted my enjoyment of Flight. The cockpit looks great, and the faster speed does a better job showing off the flight engine. It's too bad this aircraft wasn't included in the free to play download, as it really raises the wow factor quickly. The Icon did absolutely nothing for me, but fortunately I'm a stearman fan so that kept me going.

The maule landing challenges are what I was mainly wanting, I had even wished for something exactly like that for FSX. But I wasn't too excited to pay for more hawaii and more repetitive missions, so I was saving my cash for Alaska, which I have a feeling wont have a free to fly area. I am also hoping that maybe the Maule will have missions for Alaska as well, and maybe even a free ski upgrade (neither of which I feel will happen either). But again, to be "fair" to MS's sales game, nothing in the maule description said it included challenges or missions, like I eventually discovered is stated in the Hawaii adventure pack.

What exactly was your complaint?

Even though I had made incorrect assumptions about what was included with the Maule (Maule landing challenges), I still feel like the whole thing is a bit shady.

Alaska is going to provide some interesting insight into how MS is going to control the market, and add dependency between the different a la carte aircraft and geographical areas.

Other random thoughts (not necessarily what originally set me off, but is just more fodder for the "con" column)-

It depresses me to think that all of the Flight dlc content available right now is a fraction of what comes with default FSX (not including the freeware potential), yet costs more than what FSX cost when it was first launched.

Replacing the dollar values of DLC with credit values should be an indicator that MS is playing games with your wallet. The trick is used in a number of industries, and they make no attempts to hide the true intention of it. I get it, and whether or not anyone agrees with me is irrelevant, it is just another one of those things that taints me on the experience.

Clandestine cargo missions don't come up often. I usually see 1 to 3 over all the airports in all the islands. I've seen none once, and 4 one time after I landed from doing another. I don't know how many you might find on just the main island.

If you don't find a clandestine cargo mission, change the date and try again. Look at all the magenta airports, as they don't appear in the blue ones. Zoom in to get the smallest airports as well.

Yesterday i was trying to test a problem with clandestine missions from Kauai to Ford Island, and had to change the date 16 times before I found one. Sometimes there are two already there on the same day, and there are only 5 magenta airports on Kauai. It's a crap shoot. Then I fly for an hour, then I do the test, which may cause a CTD. Who said beta testing was all fun and games? :D

Good luck with it all.

Hook

Larry Hookins

The maule landing challenges are what I was mainly wanting

Well, I know you get the first one at least. I don't know where the others are. Try the first and let me know, would ya?

I was disappointed that we weren't getting more with Flight when it first came out. I even wrote a very long post about why 24,000+ airports was a good thing in the beta forum. I wasn't trying to sell anyone, just make sure they understood. I think the message got through, but the chances of getting the world is nil.

I was stuck with just the main island through a month of beta test, with no possibility of getting more. I know very well how bad that was. Who cares about hamburger runs to the same airport every time, and biplane sightseeing tours on the main island are just painful. I think I had 3 passengers total for most of that month.

Once you get off the main island, it's a whole new world. Lots more hamburger run destinations (you get to torment passengers for an achievement and this is the best way), and biplane sightseeing tours are GREAT on Oahu. A weather theme like Isolated Thunderstorms is more interesting after you get away from the big island and you actually get weather changes. The big island just sucks isn't my favorite place.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm amazed that games are still as cheap as they are. $35 for Flight is really nothing for what we've got already. I paid that for a single aircraft for FSX and then had to tweak the heck out of it.

Best of luck with the Maule, and keep us informed.

Hook

Larry Hookins

so I was saving my cash for Alaska, which I have a feeling wont have a free to fly area.

I wonder what you exactly mean with this? Do you think you will only be able to fly missions in a restricted are or something and that there will be no free flight? I can't imagine (and I certainly don't hope :wink: ) this is true, but I wonder what makes you say that!

About the clandestine missions: I also have a hard time finding them. Up to now I only did ONE because I got tired of clicking on all the airports everytime to find one. :wink: I decided to simply do one whenever I accidently see one, but that doesn't happen often because I hardly do jobs (and missions and challenges) anymore because they make me feel caught between yellow markers. I tried a sightseeing tour yesterday with the Stearman, but I felt trapped by the yellow arrow and when I wanted to make a sceenshot of some beautiful scenery I didn't because there was text all over the freakin' screen. :wink: So I usually do free flights using VOR (I don't just fly around without a destination) and (if possible) real world approaches: then I feel really free. Yes, I like FREEDOM in my flying, so that's why I really wonder why you think there won't be a 'free to fly area'. ;)

free area- as in do not have to pay for it. They gave us the big island for free to try out, I doubt there will be a similar free trial area in the Alaska scenery.

free area- as in do not have to pay for it. They gave us the big island for free to try out...

Correct. And the purpose of the free Big Island is so that potential (paying) customers can check that their system specs are adequate to generate an acceptable flight experience. And that the experience is satisfying enough to warrant paying for further Flight experiences... So I very much doubt there will be a free Alaska section.

The other Hawaiian islands are FAR more interesting than the Big Island - which is just a huge, fairly featureless, volcanic mound by comparison. Spring for it. Apart from putting the Maule into it's element, you should begin to feel some of the magic of Flight...

free area- as in do not have to pay for it. They gave us the big island for free to try out, I doubt there will be a similar free trial area in the Alaska scenery.

Aaaaaah, okay, clear. :wink: I also doubt that will happen...

supporting it doesnt mean you have to make excuses for everything that sucks about it. Just let me vent- like the shady way ms makes you buy credits instead of just paying for things straight up. theres no excuse for this system, other than straight up slime ball sales tactics.

sorry to throw this in your face, it's not specific to you. Im tired of all of the polarized excuse makers on both sides, it's ruining these discussions.

how about I agree that you have a beauty of a screen shot there, if you agree MS is engaging in "creative" ways to fleece our money? :-) Its not so difficult to get along after all!

To help in the "getting along" department might mean you should consider becoming more positive in your choice of words so as not to have complaints generated.

To help in the "getting along" department

It looks like he's making a good attempt with the Maule.

Hook

Larry Hookins

And hopefully Mr Bobo might even buy the rest of the beautiful Hawaiian islands so that he can see for himself just why others rather like the Flight experience... ;)

And hopefully Mr Bobo might even buy the rest of the beautiful Hawaiian islands so that he can see for himself just why others rather like the Flight experience... ;)

Does anyone actually read what others write? See post #32 where he wrote:

I have just finished installing the rest of Hawaii, so I won't be able to confirm whether or not clandestine is part of the purchased Maule dlc, Hawaii adventure pack, or both.

:Peace:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have just finished installing the rest of Hawaii,

He already did.

(Bill types faster than I do =)

Enjoy VonBobo

Side note: I also don't like this DLC concept, said so during the beta, saying it now. I only hope we get our money's worth on Scenery, sim enhancements and Deluxe Aircraft DLC.

And before someone jums on my remark. I'm a proud Flight supporter.

No, I missed that particular update of his. Excellent news either way...