Sign in to follow this  
IAmThWlfMan

Flying at night is DISGUSTINGLY Awesome.. BUT..

It would sure be nice sometimes if the blue taxi-way lights could be a little dimmer.. I know you can see them when you land in reality but usually they aren't as bright as the runway lights.. And when you fly directly over an airport it just looks a little too bright..

I'm not really complaining, i'm sure it is just a tweak somewhere.. What do you think??

A few days ago Ben hinted on his x-plane developer-blog that there will be some tuning of runway lighting in the next beta-cycle, expected to start in "a few weeks".

Since x-plane 10 is quite stable now they are aiming at bigger steps forward, adding new features and preparing the 64-bit upgrade during next betas, hence the "few weeks".

But of course that could mean taxiway lights will even be brighter afterwards, who knows?

http://developer.x-plane.com/

Regards

Flo

Again, i figured it would be just a minor tweak.. There are a lot of things that are much more important..

Night flying is amazing in XP10, the only thing I don't like much are the clouds being too bright.

Alex

Alexander Colka

Night flying is amazing, but I've been saying this since day one. I, personally, believe the taxi lights are far, far too bright from far out. Can a real world pilot confirm this? I'm just going off of photos/videos of approaches.

Should be a quick fix, no?

Thanks!

Bob

Not a pilot, but i have racked over 700,000 freq flyer miles.. So i have passed by many an airport.. Going into O'Hare, DFW, DEN the taxi way lights are for sure too bright.. I would think this would be just a simple tweak.. Another thing that would be really slick is i read the lights can be adjusted based on values.. It would be neat if there was a rule of some kind visibilty between X and Y value and the runway lights are at full brightness.. And again, flying into big airports, at night with low visibility, its AMAZING how bright runway lights actually are when turned up to max..

Again, just possible tweaks, not really performance enhancements which i think is what they are addressing now more than anything..

Night flying is amazing, but I've been saying this since day one. I, personally, believe the taxi lights are far, far too bright from far out. Can a real world pilot confirm this? I'm just going off of photos/videos of approaches.

Should be a quick fix, no?

Thanks!

Bob

In general, airfields are surprisingly hard to find at night especially when there is any sort of development around them. So in that respect, I think the taxi lights in XPX are way too prominent. They can generally be seen for miles in the sim, and make navigation entirely too easy.

(That said, XPX in general has a much more realistic night flying environment IMHO. The contrast with FSX is pretty stark, and as a result I always fly XPX when I'm practicing night flights.)

On another night-flying topic: Has anyone noticed that the frequency of airfield beacons is entirely too fast in XPX? The real ones flash about once every 2 seconds, but in X-Plane they're speeded up dramatically and flash about twice per second.

I luv the nights in xpx cool

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Did my first night flight last night in X-Plane, and it blew me away. The airport lighting, the big jets with their flashing lights, the scenery from altitude -- it all looked great. Best of all, as gizmosellsbunnys says, it's really disorienting flying at night. I felt like my instruments were the only thing between me and disaster! I like the challenge.

In general, airfields are surprisingly hard to find at night especially when there is any sort of development around them. So in that respect, I think the taxi lights in XPX are way too prominent. They can generally be seen for miles in the sim, and make navigation entirely too easy.

I think this cockpit video of a KLM 747-400 landing in Bangkok, shows this very well. (It's also probably the best cockpit video as it includes the view of the gauges.)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d