Sign in to follow this  
AllFiredUp

MSFlight-VOR ILS - Introductory for beginners

I really like the VOR/ILS in MS Flight.

This is a beginner/introduction video I made for those new to MS Flight and wanting to know about VOR/ILS navigation. I am by no means an expert myself. I really need to practice much more.

Anyhoo, here's what I made, enjoy!

note: this was recorded before the new update, so my trim sensitivities are way off. Now, with the new update, I've smoothed those out.

What I like about ILS in Flight is the lack of auto pilot....more of a challenge than in FSX.

I do appreciate your effort, however I found it difficult to follow along reading the text and listening to the music. I feel it would be a much more effective video if you could manage to record your voice and talk users through it while its happening.

I do appreciate your effort, however I found it difficult to follow along reading the text and listening to the music. I feel it would be a much more effective video if you could manage to record your voice and talk users through it while its happening.

I agree absolutely. The "music" was really annoying. I find the "music" of the engine much more soothing and pleasant.

BTW, you were turning the OBS knob to select the runway heading for the localizer, not the glideslope... :Nerd:

Nice job on following the localizer/glideslope despite the trim funkiness. On the other hand, why were you fiddling with the trim anyway? Proper procedure is to use only the elevator (via the joystick or yoke) and power during approach.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks! yeah I only have the music in there as I'm not that fond of my voice :) (i've had people say I sound like Kermit the frog). :blush: I was trying to find public domain music, and was in a rush to get it put up on youtube.

Thanks for that correction for localizer, not glideslope. Again, I'm not an expert, I've only practiced real ILS landings in real life only a handful of times before having to give up flying due to costs. I do need to keep practicing.

Big%20Grin.gif

Thanks! yeah I only have the music in there as I'm not that fond of my voice :) (i've had people say I sound like Kermit the frog). :blush: I was trying to find public domain music, and was in a rush to get it put up on youtube.

Thanks for that correction for localizer, not glideslope. Again, I'm not an expert, I've only practiced real ILS landings in real life only a handful of times before having to give up flying due to costs. I do need to keep practicing.

Big%20Grin.gif

We are a mature bunch on here (for the most part :P). I dont think anyone will judge you because of your voice. And if they do, you really should not care what anyone who is that immature thinks about you!

You could always record the audio separately and use a voice-altering program on it. I'd love to get ILS training from Yoda, for example.

You could always record the audio separately and use a voice-altering program on it. I'd love to get ILS training from Yoda, for example.

LOL I can actually do Yoda pretty well :D :LMAO:

I rather listen to Kermit then that music...! It totally does not fit with the video. :wink: Luckily I have a mute button on my keyboard and luckily I can hit it QUICK.

Apart from all that: good effort! I am sure it will be appreciated by all those who are new to landing using ILS! :wink:

Nice thing about youtube is that one can always change the sound/music on it. I'll have to get a chance to record another session and then do a voice over. Thanks for the feedback :good:

Thank you for nice tutorial!

Mind if I ask 2 questions?

1. I tried to use that technics to land in Honolulu (another runway, one on 42 degrees), but was not able to keep 2 arrows on my localizer/glidescope the way you did. Horizontal was centered, but vertical was, hm, not vertical enough - with some deflection. I did set localizer to 42, so what might be a reason for that?

2. What about airports without ILS? What the pilot can use to find runway direction?

Thanks again.

Limehound, you can get exact runway headings off of AirNav.com for most airports, but if you're in the game, you can check the numbers by clicking the airport on the Map: the number is the approximate heading of the runway: runway 4 would be at about 40º, runway 22 would be the opposite runway at about 220º, etc. Just add zero! The exact heading of the runway can still be a few degrees right or left of that, but you can adjust for that when you get a visual on the strip.

Some airports will have additional approaches listed as well, printed on approach plates (these will be PDF files at the bottom of the airport's AirNav page). There are some great tutorials on how to use those here. They can put you right on the runway in low visibility using VORs, DMEs, NDBs, and even using the ILS localizer beacon to approach the runway from the opposite direction!