Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Pictures of our FS9/FSX/XP-10 Computers and Cockpits

Owen, that's really tidy and it looks fantastic!

Thank you!

I used to do the same thing with wires, but then I started changing hardware so often it became a burden and I just became lazy. My tie backs never looked as good as that however.

I agree. My old desk was organized to fit the iMac and Saitek yoke, so it was almost impossible to fit my new computer to it properly. That's why I still haven't created any grommets for the joystick, throttle, and yoke on my new desk. I would only want to fit the desk to some high-quality flight controls—I don't think anybody can afford a new set of desks each time he or she gets new equipment!

Conducted some upgrades to my rig...

(click pic for full size version)

rig-small.jpg

Obutto R3volution Gaming Chair w/ triple monitor mounts

The 23" touchscreen on the lower left actually a second machine running support apps (AS2012, Plan-G, FSC, charts, etc)

Still have some cable cleanup to do.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Hey, very nice rig Dan. Here's mine that I've just finished building...

MEwK.jpg

• Upvote 3

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey, very nice rig Dan. Here's mine that I've just finished building...

MEwK.jpg

Howard,

I really like the sunken Warthog throttle. Looks really slick...

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Here is my setup. The upper small screen is for a second PC running charts, browsers, flight logging etc and sharing the mouse and keyboard of the FS machine with synergy. Specs for the rest can be found in my profile...

Ohjaamo_pieni.jpg

If you want to see a bigger version, click here. A bit naughty posting here as I'm running FS9 on here and not FSX at all... but I couldn't resist joining in! ;)

Geoff

Here is my setup. The upper small screen is for a second PC running charts, browsers, flight logging etc and sharing the mouse and keyboard of the FS machine with synergy. Specs for the rest can be found in my profile...

Ohjaamo_pieni.jpg

If you want to see a bigger version, click here. A bit naughty posting here as I'm running FS9 on here and not FSX at all... but I couldn't resist joining in! ;)

Geoff

I really like the positioning of all of the various displays—it seems like a very effective use of space. The chart/checklist clip makes the yoke look very professional. Is the throttle not uncomfortable to use in that position, though?

I really like the positioning of all of the various displays—it seems like a very effective use of space. The chart/checklist clip makes the yoke look very professional. Is the throttle not uncomfortable to use in that position, though?

Thanks.

The chart clip on the yoke was a lucky find: it was a small clipboard we found when clearing out a room at my work. It was going to be thrown out so I took it and attached it to my yoke instead. I had intended to try and mount my iPad on the yoke but it is far too heavy for the CH yoke!

The throttle / top of the mouse stand etc is not all that much higher than the desk level - it may look high in the photo. Ideally I would have it slightly lower and a few inches further forward, but that would involve more permanent furniture modification (as it is, that can all be turned into a work desk in a few minutes). I don't find the position of it difficult to use but then again I have had the throttle on that stool for about six years so I guess I've got used to it!

Geoff

If you want to see a bigger version, click here. A bit naughty posting here as I'm running FS9 on here and not FSX at all... but I couldn't resist joining in! ;) Geoff

Geoff,

There is no reason why this thread should have been only for FSX anyway! Since I was the original poster I used my administrative ability to go back and change the original statements and title. It is now for FS9, FSX or X-Plane, or for that matter any other flight simulation layout.

Thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious to the rest of us too!

Kind regards,

The throttle / top of the mouse stand etc is not all that much higher than the desk level - it may look high in the photo. Ideally I would have it slightly lower and a few inches further forward, but that would involve more permanent furniture modification (as it is, that can all be turned into a work desk in a few minutes). I don't find the position of it difficult to use but then again I have had the throttle on that stool for about six years so I guess I've got used to it!

I was indeed referring to the lateral positioning. My Saitek throttle is placed at the level of my yoke, but I would have placed it lower if I had additional furniture. Currently, my joystick sits on a lower cabinet to my left, but I do not want to place another cabinet to my right, as doing so would box me in and render unusable much of the extra space of my large desk.

Anyway, from the image, it seems as if your throttle is located very far back. Do you have to twist your arm into an uncomfortable position to use it?

Laterally the throttles are only about 15 cm back from the yoke and in the position I sit I can reach them comfortably. I would, for a slightly more realistic geometry, like to move them forward and down by about 10cm but then I would have a problem positioning my mousepad...

Geoff