Sign in to follow this  
RomeoMike

Community change to X-Plane: where do we go?

Dear all,

During the Aerosoft Convention in Munich, R Randazzo was announcing the development of a product for X-Plane. In the same breath, he smiled at the crowd saying that some big changes are awaiting our community.

After the release of MS Flight, I think that we can state that this product is definitely not for our community.

Are we all switching to X-Plane from here to 2015? I heard some rumours that Aerosoft is working on a Simulation too? I PMDG somehow involved in this? (I'm not excpecting them to tell is if they are:-).

What are your ideas about it and where do you guys think your next simulation platform will come from? In what timeline?

And how is X-Plane? Is it a big and difficult switch after almost 2 decades of Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Or will FSX just do for another decade, boosted with all kinds of add-ons?

I wish all of you a very nice easter!

Thanks,

Ralf

If I'm not wrong, I believe I remember listening R. Randazzo talking about P3D as well... I believe that X-plane is still miles back from great scenery and aircraft... I've seen enough screenshots of X-Plane 10 to confirm it.

In my honest opinion, I really believe that P3D is the next logical step not just for PMDG but for others that have already said they are porting their products to P3D such as ORBX and FS Dreamteam.

In any case, just because Microsoft has left the real FS world, why SHOULD people leave the current platform (FSX) already? We have some people like Mr. Altuve that has helped us get a better frame rates with FSX, not to mention all the SP's that Microsoft gave us.

In my personal case, I will stick to FSX with all the add-ons I have for a long time...!

Happy flying!

oh great, and here i was thinking i'd finally be able to catch up and build a system that can run the sim (fsx) maxed out, only to find, ill soon be behind again

oh great, and here i was thinking i'd finally be able to catch up and build a system that can run the sim (fsx) maxed out, only to find, ill soon be behind again

Behind what exactly? P3D is still a "new" platform... I'll be waiting maybe for P3D version 3 or 4...! Still sticking to FSX.

If I'm not wrong, I believe I remember listening R. Randazzo talking about P3D as well... I believe that X-plane is still miles back from great scenery and aircraft... I've seen enough screenshots of X-Plane 10 to confirm it.

In my honest opinion, I really believe that P3D is the next logical step not just for PMDG but for others that have already said they are porting their products to P3D such as ORBX and FS Dreamteam.

In any case, just because Microsoft has left the real FS world, why SHOULD people leave the current platform (FSX) already? We have some people like Mr. Altuve that has helped us get a better frame rates with FSX, not to mention all the SP's that Microsoft gave us.

In my personal case, I will stick to FSX with all the add-ons I have for a long time...!

Happy flying!

From what I remember from the Munich videos, Robert said that they are in the early stages of moving one aircraft over to X-plane in order to find out how many people would want it, and how much additional work it would be to move it over. He also mentioned that they have only one person working on this process for them ( at the moment).

It has been said in other posts that PMDG is not interested in P3D due to legal reasons. This might be changing with the latest "educational" release from LM.

Watch the YouTube videos, and you will find out a lot about what they are doing. (XP was mentioned in either the 3rd or 4th video).

No Prepar3d is not the next step, and I don't think most of the world has $500 to spend on a flight sim, certainley not my self.

Please beware of another P3D discussion. There're enough threads about.

Just to make clear:

there is an academic version available for 50$ and a private licence for 200$. So, no normal user have to pay 500$ any longer.

To answer to the initial question:

I'll stick with FSX and hope that P3D (as it is FSX with further development) will reach a time when it is worth to change (currently I see no big reason for)

I tried the X-Plane demo and had a former version of X-plane and I can't get used to it.

Beside many other reasons, the airports without buildings, the lack of seasons and the overall look of landclasses do not turn me on ...

But if there's some other "secret" around, I do not know ...

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only sticking to FSX for a while but orderer one FSX Gold just in case.

Alex

Alexander Colka

For now this is my last step considering I'm off to the air force in 2 years and I don't see developers quitting on FSX in that time frame and @guenseli I didn't even see that thanks for bringing it to my attention

FSX and PMDG 777 is all I need thank you :Peace:

^ where's the like button

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

FSX and PMDG 777 is all I need thank you :Peace:

You forgot the word "now" in your sentence. I doubt that you will still say this in 10 years from today.

As long as there are software developers like Aerosoft, PMDG, Orbx and others and a huge community providing us nearly every week with commercial and freeware addons, no need to switch to another flightsimulator. Only when the majority starts to switch to another simulator, I might change too, but this will take years. Look at the transition periode from FS2004 to FSX, which is still lasting.

At the moment IMHO a logical step would be to switch to Prepare3D as it allows with less effort to transfer existing addons from FSX to P3D. But this of course depends on the intention of LM, where they want to go with P3D.

And so it is good to know that there is another alternative with X-Plane, which for sure will get better and better especially when supported by companies like Aerosoft and PMDG.

FSX will be around a long time , same for FS2004, and X-Plane 9/10. Change is never easy once you are established on one platform. Have you watched the FLight Forum it's pretty popular amongst simmers also, so don't count it short. P3D will find it's niche also, but it will have to really provide a noticeable change from the current FSX for it to take the lead.

If I look at our FS9 brothers, who are still very much present, I feel confident about "my FSX" The most important things are developed, or still under developement (T7, bae, etc) wich will keep me flying for years to come. By the time a serious alternative shows up, I'll either convert slowly but steady, or keep harrassing these forums asking if a FSX version is going to be made.. :wink: :P