Sign in to follow this  
MdMax

Saitek & CH Products yokes: still using potentiometers ?

Hi all !

I went to the product pages for most yoke manufacturers, but I miss important informations:

- What's the technology for capturing the movements ? Optical sensors ? Magnetic sensors ? Or potentiometers ?

- What's the resolution for all the axes ?

- What's the latency ?

http://www.chproducts.com/13-28677-Simulation-Products.php?prid=124

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html

http://flypfc.com/?/products/yokes/cirrus-beech-yoke1/

http://vrinsight.com/public_html/index.php?module=Board&action=SiteBoard_1&iBrdNo=27&sMode=SELECT_FORM

Would you buy hardware without knowing what's the technology inside ? Would you compare products like a mouse, a monitor, or a PC only by describing the case ? Why are all yoke manufacturers only describing the case and not what's inside ?

Well I'm still searching for a good, sustainable and precise yoke system, without potentiometers I'll have to replace every 6 months. Where can I find this ?

Thank you and happy flying.

Well I'm still searching for a good, sustainable and precise yoke system, without potentiometers I'll have to replace every 6 months. Where can I find this ?

Hello

PFC, and ask for the Hall effect sensor option.

Hello

PFC, and ask for the Hall effect sensor option.

Thank you ! I finally found very expensive devices with magnetic sensors:

http://www.google.co...2hall+effect%22

But now, another question. Why are optical or magnetic sensors only available in $2700/$4700 flight consoles, and not in yokes ? Why is Thrusmaster able to use this kind of sensors inside a $35 joystick, and why are Saitek, CH Products, PFC not able to put this in a $150 yoke ? Is the flight simulation community so ridiculously small ? Is built-in obsolescence still considered as a solution for yoke manufacturers ?

:Cry:

Oh yes, HE sensors make a huge difference. It's extremely precise. Flying NGX with the HGS, I can do all those miniature corrections you would need when flying approach. It's great!

Oh yes, HE sensors make a huge difference. It's extremely precise.

Indeed, my TM Cougar stick , throttle, and Elite rudder pedals are all running Hall Sensors and have been for several years - pretty incredible.

HE sensors cost less to manufacture than traditional potentiometers now so there is no reason for manufacturers not to use them, other than they want the parts to fail after the warranty period has expired so you will buy a new Joystick. HE sensors last a lot long because they have no moving parts or physical contact between components like a pot has. The HE sensor will most likely be the longest lasting component in a Joystick or Yoke now, the bearings, springs and switches will fail before a HE sensor will.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi all,

Just encountered what I think is a potentiometer problem with the yoke throttle quadrant causing throttle in the VC to go to full throttle at the slightest movement of the lever, the middle lever is doing the same thing. I've checked the calibration and the colour band doesn't graduate smoothly at all on both the X and Z axis. I contacted Mad Catz and they e-mailed me two proceedures to reset the calibrations but to no avail. They suggested that I should try out the unit on another PC!

Of course, everybody has a second PC to install FSX and then install and set up your Saitek yoke and throttles don't they except, it seems, me!

So I'm now waiting for Saitek to make their minds up.

Warning,the 2 year warranty applies to Saitek only, the one year only apply to the retailer. namely Flightstore.

I'll keep you updated.

Richard.

Known problem. It's a pot-fault, a hardware fault. Get it replaced if you can. If not, probably gonna have to buy a new one.

Hi Word Not Allowed,

Saitek (Mad Catz) in contact and e-mailing. Took a phone call to get them to respond to my reply to their e-mail but we're getting there. You have to fight your corner, don't you!

Richard.

Although things are underway ( I think) with Saitek, I wondered if anybody has the same problem and whether they had managed to change the potentiometers themselves and, if so, what source did they obtain them from. I can't imagiine the quadrant is the easiest thing to get into but, if push came to shove then I might have had to do this.

Richard.

Reading on many forums, I saw people tried to find replacement pots, but no success. Apparently Saitek are using very cheap unobtainable through usual channels pots, which can't be replaced.

The only way, and someone around here did it, is to open up everything, including the pot itself, clean it and then glue back everything as it was. If you are into that, go right ahead. Nothing for me though.

Thanks Word Not Allowed,

I'm delivering the unit to Saitek in the UK tomorrow. They say there is a maximum turn round of 10 days so we'll wait and see. I must say I have other things to do other than flight sim but, at the moment at least, I'm like a kid who's had his toys taken away!

Richard.