Sign in to follow this  
patrick3178

NVIDIA Quadro 6000 - 6 GB - (PCI-E)

Hi everybody.

I did not write anything on this forum for ages as I don't fly FSX for the time being.

But at the moment I am looking into it again and I am looking at building my own pc well customise it.

I came across this graphics card NVIDIA Quadro 6000 - 6 GB - (PCI-E). Apart that is more expensive does anybody have any experience? Thanks in advance.

Regards

Patrick

Quadros are Nvidia's GPUs for professional applications like running really complex mathematical simulations at university labs and stuff like that - they're not made for the consumer/gamer market. Their shaders are programmable using a language called CUDA. If you were doing theoretical physics or weather simulation/prediction or something like that, this is the card you'd get because it allows you to essentially use all the shader processors as parallel CPUs for doing the calculations. Don't buy this for FS, get a regular GTX 5 or 6 series card.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Don't buy this for FS, get a regular GTX 5 or 6 series card.

Would it hurt to have one?

Thanks for your reply Ryan, in the meantime I found some info about the card and yes as you said it is no good for fsx or gaming in general.

Regards

Patrick

Would it hurt to have one?

The pocket? yes it hurts quite a bit!!

Patrick

The pocket? yes it hurts quite a bit!!

I meant performance! :biggrin:

I meant performance! :biggrin:

I think Ryan can tell you about this, I also would like to know!!

But I think when you see the price at nearly £3000 I am not sure it's worth it...

Patrick

I think Ryan can tell you about this, I also would like to know!!

But I think when you see the price at nearly £3000 I am not sure it's worth it...

Patrick

I doubt that it would even perform well.

I guess that it is like trying to use a 737 as a crop-duster. :LMAO:

Maybe if your playing FSX and at same time rendering a Cat Scan you need the card.

Wow, a 6GB video card! And I remember the day I was sooo proud that I upgraded my PC from 4 to 8MB of RAM. It really helped Windows 3.1 tho. :Nerd:

Cheers, Chris D

There's a couple reasons you wouldn't want this card besides what I said earlier:

1. The drivers are not optimized for games - they're for professional and academic applications.

2. The huge amount of RAM is liable to cause address space exhaustion problems with 32-bit DX9 apps like FSX.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

From what I know, you would want this card for 3d graphics as well, in particular, it excels your viewport browsing speed in applications like 3ds max and it becomes more noticeable the more complex the scene is.