Sign in to follow this  
AllFiredUp

How do you get smooth pans while filming in MS Flight?

Has anyone figured out a good way to smooth out a camera move in Flight? I notice that while moving the view with the mouse, panning/zooming - that trying to get a smooth motion motion.

May be FRAPS I'd have to do some tests. I'm shooting with FRAPS at 29.97 (30fps). But really, I think it's the mouse, just seems a bit jerky even when I'm trying to be really smooth in the panning.

See my video here for an example:

What I like to achieve are some pans like at 1:52 mark like in this video:

I think you edit your camera.cfg, then use CTRL+Q, CTRL+W, CTRL+A, CTRL+S, CTRL+D, and CTRL+E to move your camera backwards, up, left, down, right, and forwards respectively. If you want panning on the outside, I think you just edit your camera.cfg. I've never edited panning before so I don't really know much.

Yes, i know what you're talking about. I was also wondering how do they make it look so smooth. I record with Fraps at 60fps but what you're talking about is not related to that. It's like they have some sort of a camera addon or some tweak for some shots. The only advice i can give you is to try using middle button on mouse and ctrl+w(a,s,d and q or e). The keyboard camera / eyepoint movements is the smoothest one you can get. Try experimenting. I will make a short clip right now and try it myself :)

Cheers

Thanks! guys, and also I'll try those out that you suggested, Eevun.

And I guess it's not just pan or a dolly in/out, but any type of "camera" movement with the mouse seems jittery. I mean, I move my mouse on the desktop and it's not doing that-it's smooth.

It must be the translation of the mouseview. Yeah, I'll try the keyboard. But it's hard to capture a flyby with keyboard. I'm more of an animator than an editor or a cameraman so I'll have to think creatively on how I capture within Flight.

This video also seems to have some smooth camera moves:

Also, I noticed in this video, he seems to be walking while filming some shots.

If you navigate to your Cameras.cfg (C:\Users\[yourusernamehere]\appdata\roaming\microsoft\Flight), look for a camera titled "Screenshot view" and find the CycleHidden=yes line and change that to no. You'll obtain the Screenshot Camera for use in-game, which works like the cockpit view in that the eyepoint can be moved around, but it offers much more freedom of movement to take this camera outside the aircraft. I like to put it on my landing gear and use it for taxiing in the Maule. :Nerd:

Thanks a lot Azure :) I will give it a try for sure!

Cheers