Sign in to follow this  
SoloTwo

Installing the new FDE

Perhaps I am just some sort of moron or something but I recently tried installed the new FDE from the website and could never quite get it to work whenever I loaded the plane I got the duplicate something or another error.

Do just copy paste everything to where it says? Do I have to insert test for the repaints into the new config? I'm guessing I'm over thinking it or something because I don't see a ton of threads asking how to install it. It's just that the instructions on the website are vague to say the least.

Never mind I'm sort of genius and managed to figure out why it wasn't working... :Loser:

I look forward to actually landing her now instead of floating down the runway endlessly at 85kt. :)

I'm curious on how you solved your problem solo, 'cause i'm having the same issue here and only can fly the white livery.

The edited aircraft.cfg from the FDE mod only contains one livery entry. You have to add the other ones from your backup file. So when you only see one livery, everything is ok, it's just that those extra entries are missing.

Then make sure that every entry reads

sim=C208_ng

otherwise you will get an error that FSX couldn't start the sim or something (I can't rememeber the exact wording) and end up over the water. Or, even worse He%20He.gif , the other livery entries will still use the old FDE file.

C208_ng is the name of the new one, by Bernt Stolle.

Thanks very much CoolP, that's the detail I was missing.

Got my liveries back now.

I just picked up the C208 and cargo pack and am very pleased. Is this new FDE a no brainer must have? My thoughts are it flies pretty good now, but I have only done 2 flights. What exactly has the new FDE improved if you don't mind me asking?

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

The new FDE is a must have for me. Just to clarify I am referring to the Optional update from Carenado's website- hopefully that is what everyone else is talking about.

The default C208 is next to impossible for me to land at 75-85 knots (per Carenado's checklist.) I can't slow it down enough to flare before landing- if I do flare I gain altitude and land halfway down the runway.

With the new FDE I can land below 80kts with no problems and without flying halfway down the runway. It is much easier to control the descent rate on final with the throttle.

I have been flight simming for only a few months so you may want a more experienced opinion.

Right you are, the new FDE is a lot better. The old one came in rather harsh with the invisible spoiler taking effect. I sort of dropped like a stone or was too fast, not much in between. Bernt's new FDE rendered it a charm.

Ok thanks guys. I downloaded and tried to install but had problems. I think I screwed up steps 3 & 4 from the read-me file that says:

3. Copy the 208ng.air file into the Carenado 208 aircraft folder.

4. Suggest to rename the original 208 air file or to change the file extension.

If you don't and you add repaints the might end up using the old airfile.

I'm not sure I understand this and I don't know what an airfile is so step 4 I'm lost. Do I have to do these steps? What if I change each aircraft to sim=C208_ng, or are these two issues something completely different?

Thanks.

You are on the right track, Poncho. First of all, the 'airfile' actually is the xxxx.air file in the plane's folder. The name of the file can be anything you like it to be, it just has to carry the air extension to be considered valid. In the aircraft.cfg, the line sim=xxxx points to the name of the file.

So If there is an air file with the name xxxx.air in that folder, the sim will use it and doesn't care if that's a good or bad FDE. Therefore, you want to make sure that the old FDE is either gone or doesn't get referenced any more. The second part may happen if you download some extra liveries, which reference to the old default air file. That's the thing that #4 items wants to point out.

So the safest way is to move the old air file away and also check the name in the sim= line every time you install some new repaint for that plane. If the sim looks for an air file name which isn't there, it will give you some error message that it couldn't start the sim. This just means that you have to check that one livery entry (sim=). No harm done in that case.

Thanks CoolP, will hopefully get a chance this weekend to try it out.