Sign in to follow this  
styckx

Pitot heat effectiveness

Can someone verify this for me? It's quite possible I'm doing something wrong but I've deiced these things before a million times on other aircraft.

I wanted to test how prone to icing this aircraft was so I set the weather to Winter Wonderland and set out of KHQM and climbed out w/ the AP set for 15k.. Only about 5 minutes into the climb and around 12 degree Fahrenheit I lost my airspeed indicator.. Threw on pitot heat continued to climb, never regained my airspeed indicator.. Leveled out, descended down to 500ft where the temp was now 25 degrees Fahrenheit.. Pitot heat still running and I still have a non-functioning airspeed indicator. I managed to land by climing up and by tuning into a VOR and reading speeds off that and guessing the rest of the way when I was below its range.

Edit: Just tried two more times.. 21 and 19 degrees F is when the pitot tubes iced up.. Same results.. Pitot heat did absolutely nothing..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Thanks, that's what I thought.. Sent to Carenado..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

i can confirm the loss of Airspeed indication and i always put on Pitot heat,

Confirmed here as well, although mine seemed to be sporadic. On a flight from KAVP to KPHL with today's weather, I was pretty much in the icing layer shortly after takeoff (about 2000'). At about 4000' while climbing to 10000' I loss the airspeed. At 6000' feet it came alive again for about 2 minutes and then fell off line again. All appropriate DE-icing systems were on.

The airspeed remained off line for the duration of the flight.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I suspect you still have to hit the "H" key to get the default pitot heat to work?

Martin

Now THIS is really annoying. Makes it impossible to fly anywhere with real weather. Climb through a cloud and you have no ASI for the remainder of the flight.

I REALLY wanna like this plane. But SO many little (and huge, like this) annoyances!

Eddie

Eddie
KABQ

Folk, all though this snag is present, it does not stop you from enjoying this aircraft. These are other sources of acquiring the speed information, although not quite practical. Only major snag that one may encounter is flying on Vatsim where speed restrictions may be issued by ATC, and or flying by the numbers for the approach. I am sure this too will be addressed soon.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Until the bug fix, try "Shift+H" for pitot heat which is the default in Acceleration. I believe "H" is engine anti-ice/carb heat by default.

Brian W

Shift+H does seem to work for me. Hard to believe something like that has been missed by the team before release...

Now THIS is really annoying. Makes it impossible to fly anywhere with real weather. Climb through a cloud and you have no ASI for the remainder of the flight.

I REALLY wanna like this plane. But SO many little (and huge, like this) annoyances!

Eddie

I have been trying to keep positive about this purchase but I have to agree. I love the plane, but it's more about the plane itself and less about this product. Too many issues for the price.

This is something most ALL Carenado planes have. Doesn´t matter you use C310, B58, many die on some environment, you dive, come back, die again. It is hard to believe after years of producing this still lives. Don´t get me wrong, i own many of Carenados planes, but this bug is an annoying artefact.

I had the same problem, and so I went into the aircraft file and noticed in the electrical section it said 0 as the first number in the pitot heat. So I changed it to 1 and now it works just fine. A interim fix until a patch comes out.