Sign in to follow this  
nuNce

A few questions regarding AS2012 and FSUIPC

First, having REX taking care of the textured, is AS2012 worth the 40€ they ask for it (on sale on SimMarket)? I'm not really a weather maniac, even when flying the NGX, so the price has to be justified.

The biggest worry I have, is how does it impact the framerate? Is having the weather engine running in the background CPU heavy? How does it compare, again, to the REX engine in terms of performance (I understand it is much better realism wise, but at what cost?)

Also, I've read there were some issues with the NGX and S-Turns regarding ASE. Have they been fixed in AS2012 or are they still there?

Would I miss anything out of the ASE package with an unregistered version of FSUIPC?

And last, since I've brought it up, why would I want to own FSUIPC? I don't have any need for joy mapping (Saitek profiler does what I need more than good), nor any external pc, connections, mouse macros, flight logging or autosaving. Is there anything else, that might be worth all that money? I've tried to look around the boards, but I honestly can't find a good reason to invest almost 30€ on it, but I see that a lot of people praise the software. After a lot of research, the only things I found out are those I listed above, and for what I need, are not worth the price. Is there something I've been missing?

Thank you. :)

First, having REX taking care of the textured, is AS2012 worth the 40€ they ask for it (on sale on SimMarket)? I'm not really a weather maniac, even when flying the NGX, so the price has to be justified.

The biggest worry I have, is how does it impact the framerate? Is having the weather engine running in the background CPU heavy? How does it compare, again, to the REX engine in terms of performance (I understand it is much better realism wise, but at what cost?)

Also, I've read there were some issues with the NGX and S-Turns regarding ASE. Have they been fixed in AS2012 or are they still there?

Would I miss anything out of the ASE package with an unregistered version of FSUIPC?

And last, since I've brought it up, why would I want to own FSUIPC? I don't have any need for joy mapping (Saitek profiler does what I need more than good), nor any external pc, connections, mouse macros, flight logging or autosaving. Is there anything else, that might be worth all that money? I've tried to look around the boards, but I honestly can't find a good reason to invest almost 30€ on it, but I see that a lot of people praise the software. After a lot of research, the only things I found out are those I listed above, and for what I need, are not worth the price. Is there something I've been missing?

Thank you. :)

I actually just purchased AS2012 last night and have enjoyed a significant increase in fps over REX which I've used for the past 2 years. Don't get me wrong, REX has great textures and so does AS2012 but when running REX with live weather I was getting frame rate reductions and had to lower my resolution settings to compensate. Was able to raise my settings with AS2012 even higher than usual and have no lag or stutter. As for FSUIPC, purchased that almost 4 months ago. For default aircraft, not having a registered version is no big deal. But for today's complex addon aircraft it's virtually a must. The sensitivity over default FSX/Saitek (or CH) calibration is like night and day. There is a definite learning curve with FSUIPC but it's worth it in the end. Hope this helps.

After a lot of research, the only things I found out are those I listed above, and for what I need, are not worth the price. Is there something I've been missing?

Hello

You should have said "for what I need now".

Trust me there will come a time if your flightsim hardware becomes complex and you want to map panel functions to buttons,rotaries and multiple axis then Fsuipc will start looking cheap at $30

I could not imagine the Sim without Fsuipc, I would struggle to get my hardware to work and the mouse macros and Profiles functions are just genius.

If you are not that interested in weather then you probably do not need AS2012, but weather plays such a large role in aviation that it is worth getting the best in this area.

AS2012 uses simconnect with FSX rather than Fsuipc so you will not miss anything with an unregistered Fsuipc.

Hello

You should have said "for what I need now".

Trust me there will come a time if your flightsim hardware becomes complex and you want to map panel functions to buttons,rotaries and multiple axis then Fsuipc will start looking cheap at $30

I could not imagine the Sim without Fsuipc, I would struggle to get my hardware to work and the mouse macros and Profiles functions are just genius.

If you are not that interested in weather then you probably do not need AS2012, but weather plays such a large role in aviation that it is worth getting the best in this area.

AS2012 uses simconnect with FSX rather than Fsuipc so you will not miss anything with an unregistered Fsuipc.

Thanks both. I'll be getting AS2012 then since it is on discount.

Guess I'll be getting FSUIPC too, since I've seen how it can get rid of some annoying weather issues and can get me to have a proper reverse thrust. On top of that I've heard nothing but praise, so you have convinced me to invest that money. :)

Going back on AS2012, should I be using REX textures or AS2012 ones? I hear that REX2 are better looking, but how about performance about those 2 packages?

If you already have REX2, why not wait a week or two for the free update to REX Essentials (effectively REX 3!)

The weather engine features amongst many update and improved features and it may well be what you are looking for without having to spend anything at all.

As an aside, I use the OpenClouds Weather injector with the REX textures and the result is excellent! You can use it for free within the UK to test it and with a small (like $2 per month) subscription for the rest of the world. I strongly recommend trying it. For more info on the benefits of Open Clouds, check this thread!

If you already have REX2, why not wait a week or two for the free update to REX Essentials (effectively REX 3!)

I hope they get rid of the actual interface too, since it's the laziest, slowest, most annoying interface I've ever met in my entire computer user experience.

FSUIP can map your axis differently for different planes.

For example Saitek throttle quadrant. In a Cessna it will be mixture, radiator, prop.

In a 737 it could be 2 engines, and flaps.

If you have another throttle you can set a range on a lever to even do button commands. You can set a lever to cowl flaps ie radiator even though FSX doesn't allow it.

With 4 engine aircraft you can do even more cool stuff.

Same with helicopters.

Sure you might be able to do some fancy scripts in joystick software but if you have multiple controllers this puts it all in one place and allows aircraft specific config.

An addon example - the Katana 4x. Katana 4x has a propellor governor simulated. But it doesn't work with a throttle lever in default FSX. But it does with FSUIP ;)

Guest ecg

There is a definite learning curve with FSUIPC but it's worth it in the end.

I also have only used the free version, but I am considering the full version of FSUIPC. Is there a good tutorial available for us noobs who are just starting out with it?

-ed

I also have only used the free version, but I am considering the full version of FSUIPC. Is there a good tutorial available for us noobs who are just starting out with it?

-ed

If you are willing to read, there is a comprehensive manual and lots of material on the web. It took me a few hours to explore its functionalities.

Guest ecg

Thanks for the info on FSUIPC. Will take a look at it.

Thanks both. I'll be getting AS2012 then since it is on discount.

Guess I'll be getting FSUIPC too, since I've seen how it can get rid of some annoying weather issues and can get me to have a proper reverse thrust. On top of that I've heard nothing but praise, so you have convinced me to invest that money. :)

Going back on AS2012, should I be using REX textures or AS2012 ones? I hear that REX2 are better looking, but how about performance about those 2 packages?

Which ones are "better looking" is purely up to you. For me, I much prefer AS2012 and prior to that I preferred FEX over REX BUT that's MY opinion. There is no comparison to the AS2012 weather engine so your best option, IMHO? Get AS2012 for the weather engine. Make your OWN comparison to the REX textures and use whichever one you wish. AS2012 is perfectly compatible with other textures.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I bump this thread cause I have another question. Using AS2012 DWC, what settings should I be using on FSUIPC? Should I turn Weather controll off?

AS2012 is phenomenal, never seen such dense and realistic clouds and layers. REX has better graphics, but the overall effect in AS is much more immersive. Too bad I can't (yet, as soon as Ivy Bridge is out I'm getting new pc) afford more than 60mi of clouds.