Sign in to follow this  
rosty

Asus GTX560Ti 900MHz 2GB vs EVGA GTX580 772MHz 1.5GB

Would there be any difference in FSX? What would be the best choice here if I don't play any other games, but FSX only.

The best 560 or the cheapest 580s one?

I'm not sure if FSX supports all those DirectX 11 shaders, etc..

Thanks!

I am sure you are going to hear otherwise, but I'd recommend you get the 580.

If you wish to run decent levels of antialiasing to have little or no shimmering, you are gonna want the 580.

So hard to choice.. From another side, I could also spend the price difference on a good CPU watercooling and have 4.8Ghz cpu + GTX 560Ti, which might be a way better on FSX than 4.2Ghz + GTX 580..

What chip do you have now and what cooling?

I upgraded from a GTX 560Ti, and I'm now using a GTX 580 from a friend of mine. And what do you think? 0 FPS increase, zero, nada, nothing. However, yes you can run higher AA settings as Word Not Allowed said. But to be very honest, I don't understand what the obsession with AA is, because I don't see a lot of difference between 8XS and 32XS to be honest. It's probably just my eyes, lol. Or perhaps it will only be visible if you're using bigger screens like 27 inch or maybe a 40 inch LED TV, cuz my screen is only 22 inch, so maybe that's why I don't see a difference. Cuz whenever I zoom out entirely, the text on the FMC of the 737NGX still shimmers even with 32xS AA.

That is Arjen because you are using the wrong AA setting. Haven't you read many latest posts about AA? Since I guess you haven't...

Set 8xS + 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling. Not Supersampling. Exactly as I wrote it, last line in the AA window in NI. The set some heavy clouds and big airport and go comparing.

SSGS in short, is what gets rid of shimmering. NGX cockpit is an easy comparison.

32xS or 16xS are nonsense settings for FSX. It's overkill on the performance and doesn't bring anything.

I think I need to break off from the forums slowly and let everyone do whatever they think it's right, since no matter how many posts and energy I put into this, I come accross posts like this one. I manage to show it to couple of people, they see it's fine, but then another 10 pop up with the same opinions like yours.

I guess I'm just too unimportant to move anything... and the worst thing is, I see again and again people disappointed. And I am not.

Thanks for your valuable opinions!

Well, I'm considering buying a new PC (which I mainly use for a job), so that's gonna be i7-3820 with a) cheap cooling and GTX 580 or B) nice watercooling and GTX 560i.

Honestly, I feel I'd go with 560Ti, just because I do not play anything else but flighsim once a month, and paying about eur200 more for almost 0 FPS and slightly higher AA settings is not for me

Everyone must decide for themselves what's important to them. I guess if you're playing FS once a month, it's really a no-brainer.

8XS and 32XS to be honest. It's probably just my eyes, lol.

You aren't even using SS. This is why you are still getting shimmering in the NGX.

Use some SGSS as Word Not Allowed.-- This is extremely crisp and doesn't hurt FPS when using a 580. It will likely destroy FPS on a system that isn't equipped with a GPU more than a 560TI 448 core.

Me and Srdan tested some AA levels a few weeks ago. -- He reccomended 8xS+2xSGSS and it seems to be the best AA setting IMO.

Thanks to Word Not Allowed, 8xS+2xSGSS is what I have been using ever since. FPS hit is minimal and the quality is incredible. I recommend it to anyone with a GTX570 or better.

I guess I'm just too unimportant to move anything... and the worst thing is, I see again and again people disappointed. And I am not.

I feel the same way. I am starting to really thank myself for paying the extra cash for the 580 rather than the lesser cards.

He reccomended 8xS+2xSGSS and it seems to be the best AA setting IMO.

I have to agree!

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Word Not Allowed,

Sometimes you seem to come across a little abrasive with your posts but your content is usually informative, accurate and the information provided is done so with the express intent to help us all with our own FS experience. Many of your posts have certainly provided me with solutions to issues that I have exprienced with FSX performance.

Bad luck if some people are disappointed, I with many others are not.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Yeah really, and here I went and bought a lowly GTX 560 Ti 2gb card.

How dare I....

But hey, I am happy for myself and in the end, that is all that counts.

But hey, I am happy for myself and in the end, that is all that counts.

Well, that is good. I guess it really is up to everyone's preference, if you want lower FPS with high AA but for low $$ then go for it! I just was fortunate enough to have the cash at the right time to afford a 580.

Rosty,

There is no reason to buy an expensive water cooling system if you are overclocking the SB 2500K or 2600K. A good air cooler will do the job, this may help you make your decision.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hello,

let me say my opinion. I have discussed these thoughts with Word Not Allowed on another thread and I can bring to your attention my experience.

I have a Gigabyte GTX560Ti and only way to fix shimmering on payware (mostly not well made IMHO) sceneries (ILS & other antennas, light poles, fence...) is to use the Sparse Grid Supersampling, as said by Word Not Allowed, which is a transparent filter, along with a 8xS AA filter.

Well, on my system this setting has an appreciable impact on fps and give me some tedious microstutters on the ground, when rolling for t/o or while landing, givind me not smooth simulation.

Without SGSS, so using only a lighter SS, performance are pretty good but shimmering comes up, even using a 8x Supersampling.

So if you want to play without shimmering don't pray to get that with a GTX560Ti, which is a great card but not the best to run FSX probably. For example, I have better results with F1 2010, in terms of image quality and performance, way long better. I can run F1 2010 at highest levels with about 60fps (benchmark test).

I don't know which is (or how much is) the advantage to run a GTX580 in FSX, unfortunately I have not to try, but I ask (myself and you) if it is a too much expensive card for FSX or not.

In these days I am evaluating a second hand purchase of a EVGA GTX580 SC worthing about Euro 270. What do you think about it?