Sign in to follow this  
macky1004

737 NGX Ice affects

Hi to all fellow simmers and captains alike, First id like to say i really love the NGX and a big

thanks goes to the PMDG Dev team for the man hours they still put into this excellent sim :clapping:

Now id like to say im sorry if this was already talked about but i couldin find it anywhere "Not that good with PC's"

so please dont eat me up if it was and i know everything aint possible.

Anyway my question is the capabilities of the NGX, Like does ice affect it as it would in real life? Adding on more weight to

the plane and affecting takeoff and landing. I know you would de-ice before takeoff if you had ice but im just wondering does it ?

Thanks in advance to anyone that will clarify this for me. And could you tell me what other things the NGX is capable of,

or even a link so i could read up on it. Thanks guys.

PS: Please dont eat me if theres already talks about this or anything if just asked :Peace:

While the NGX doesn't intentionally go out to simulate icing, some payware software such as FSUIPC and Active Sky do, by adding weight to the aircraft.

That said, the disturbance of airflow over your airfoils is not simulated, making the entire simulation of icing a mute point.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

While the NGX doesn't intentionally go out to simulate icing, some payware software such as FSUIPC and Active Sky do, by adding weight to the aircraft.

That said, the disturbance of airflow over your airfoils is not simulated, making the entire simulation of icing a mute point.

Thanks for clearing that up, Im not great at explaining things but thts what i ment Does icey weather affect the ngx on takeoff and landing. Would REX do the same as active sky ? I have FSUIPC and i really dont know why i got it a few years ago cos i dont know how to use it and what i use it for "Fsinn" the free version would have done the same thing lol. Thinking of getting Active Sky i was told its better than REX for weather and REX is better for clouds. So ill have to set them up to work together. My specs aint great and at the moment with REX - NGX - Aerosoft scenery running, on approach my FPS goes down to 8-13fps "Hate flying when that low" So im wondering with active sky aswell would it be worse ? Specs : Core2Duo e8400 - 4gb Ram - GTX 560TI. And its looking im going to have to stay with them for some time longer :(

If you go into your FSUIPC settings in the game menu during flight change the "icing variable" to 5, if I recall, to simulate the maximum accumulation of icing. Having Active Sky or REX would allow you to do the same thing if you change their respective values for icing to their maximum settings.

Remember, though, that these variables only affect the weight you accumulate while in icing conditions. In a 737-800 the amount of weight you would need to accumulate to affect your aircraft is far beyond the scope of what you will ever accumulate. For instance, you'll probably accumulate about 700 pounds of ice in a few minutes of flying in icing conditions - You won't even notice that much weight on the 737. You'll shed that weight the moment you turn on your anti-ice, as well.

Some programs, like FSCaptain, have variables that can cause your engine to flame out if you go into heavy precipitation or icing conditions, but you'll never fly in those conditions long enough for that to matter in a PMDG 737. Long post short, icing is a non-issue to any simmer - even with complex addons. Now if you decide to fly a Carenado Cessna 172, on the other hand... :P

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.