Sign in to follow this  
FrankFasi

Your Flight "graphics" settings?

I have a Core i7 950, tons of RAM, and a GTX 560 ti, but find I get the best results in Flight by using a max of "High" and not "Maximum" in all of the graphics settings. And the game still looks very good. I'm just wondering if anyone with a similar system runs "maximum" without getting stutters once in a while? I get them if I run "maximum".

Perhaps someone out there has come up with some ideal nVidia Inspector settings for Flight?

I got a similar i7 950, 12 gb RAM and my card is an Asus GTX560

Setting maximum in all graphics settings seems to lower my overall scenery quality, although I don't get stutters.

I have Sharpness and Scenery Density on maximum, the rest on High.

In my case setting Texture Quality to maximum makes most roads over Oahu look like gray lines.

I haven't fiddled with Inspector and Flight.

I have a very similar system, and get stutters while panning on maximum. I have everything set to high now, and still get some stutters now and then, but much less.

Interestingly, my FPS is rock solid even while stuttering, and it only really happens when panning to look around.

I run Flight with everytning maxed out and have never had any stutters. Runs smooth as silk.

System Type x64-based PC

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series 1.00 GB

Sharpness and Quality on maximum (I can't do without those great waterreflections) and the rest on High. Density and Shadows aren't worth the extra load at all imho. I have a i5 2500K @ 4.5, 8 Gb ram and a GTX580.

IMO, the mentioned systems looks to have enough potention to work smoothly with MSF. Besides the hardware in the pu the monitor (resolution, refreshment rate e.g.) and the software settings (3D: AA, Anisotr. e.g.) will have impact on the results. Experimenting with those settings will give you more information about the final results, I guess.

Also flying hight or low, in a surrounding with lot of density will have influence on the sreenresults.

I'm satisfied with the results on my desktop. All settings on max.

I5, 4 MB ram, XFX4890. The 3-D settings I have set: let the programm decide. I have a 22" screen with 2 ms, HD-resolution

Certainly there are members who have more knowledge and good advise for us?

I have older computer but I can run game on high settings (except shadows):

Full Screen on

Vertical Sync On

Res.: 1920 x 1200

Shadow: low

Sharpness Max

Scenery Density: High

Scenery Quality: Max

Texture Q: High

Weather Quality: High

Have stutters from time to time but not heavy nor frequent.

I have i5 2500k @4.0Ghz, 8gb of DDR3 ram@1600mhz, asus p8z68v motherboard and a gtx570.

I always run Flight with nVidia inspector that overrides Flight's settings and have "custom=1" in Flight.cfg in order for the overrides to take effect.

My in game settings are Maximum for scenery quality, sharpness, shadow, weather and water. High for scenery density (not because of the performance, i just don't like having zillions of trees, doesn't look that natural but maybe i'm crazy :D ).

My nVidia inspector settings are: limit frames per second 60, maximum pre-rendered frames = 2, Anisotropic filtering = 16x and Antialiasing = 8xMS (multi sampling).

For the most part, it runs 60 fps steady but with occasional drops over heavily dense areas and when i record videos with Fraps. Stuttering also occurs but rarely, once in several flights and only for few seconds.

Here's an example (watch in original resolution or 1080p):

The only problem is that same video clip runs at 60fps when i play it on my computer, yet on Youtube it fluctuates from 35-60. Annoying.

Cheers

One of the reasons I have not set everything to Maximum, is that I like some headroom for the future... I may be able to run Flight perfectly at Maximum right now, but when Alaska has been released or other regions and planes, I may have to set some settings a notch down because I do think (and expect) that the game will become 'heavier and heavier' over time... So I rather not get used to Max. :wink: But as I said: I don't care about the extra ring of autogen that Max brings and I can't see the difference between Max and High shadows, so... it's no problem.

Just to clarify, anyone not running a Windows 7 x64 is not eligible for Max settings in Flight. I don't know why, but it just is. I doesn't matter how well of a computer you run, you cannot run Max unless you have Windows 7 x64.

Just to clarify, anyone not running a Windows 7 x64 is not eligible for Max settings in Flight. I don't know why, but it just is. I doesn't matter how well of a computer you run, you cannot run Max unless you have Windows 7 x64.

You are correct Alex, but there is a trick.

As i recall from a developer, it has to do with memory management and limitations of the x86 systems.

The only way to get Max settings for Flight on Windows 7 x86 is by setting the /3gb switch.

If you have problems with stuttering and fluttering textures you might take a look at post #14 (by trevorbee) in the 'Terrible stuttering unless moving map is enabled' topic. The little tool mentioned there (D3D Antilag) made quite a difference in the video on my machine. No more fluttering textures and no more stuttering. I can now run comfortably with quality and textures set to high and sharpness set to maximum with VERY smooth results except for a bit of a low frame rate when swooping around very quickly.

Gord

I have an AMD athlon 220 dual-core at 2.8 Ghz and a GT 430 with 1gb and I'm surprised at it' performance in Flight for a non-gaming card. (I got it for 45 bucks at Microcenter with mail-in rebate) so I can't complain. I run everything around high with quality at max and shadows med.

it has to do with memory management and limitations of the x86 systems

This is correct, the extremely simplified answer is that a 32 bit system can only address 232 memory addresses, and Windows generally wants to reserve 216 of that so it doesn't have to page swap.

It is a lot more complicated than that, but I will spare you guys the details =)