Sign in to follow this  
chdriver

Suggestions Needed for FS9 Upgrade

The thread entitled "I put in FS9 last night after many years" caught my interest and perhaps I should be posting on that thread rather than creating a new one.

I currently have FS9, FSX and Flight loaded on my flight sim computer. I mostly fly FSX but would like to give FS9 a boost with some addons. Since I am retired and miserly, I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm also lazy so instead of doing my own search of the library I'm asking for advice from the FS9 experts on what free addons from the AVSIm library and/or elsewhere you would suggest. I'm thinking in particular of scenery enhancements but would also like to try GA planes (single and twin) and business jet, regional jet that are improved over the default models. I do have "Flight 1 Ultimate Terrain Canada & Alaska". I would also consider some low cost payware addons.

I have the following hardware:

• i5 750 CPU o/c to 3.8 Ghz
  • 4 Gb memory
  • 1 Tb hard drive
  • ATI 5770 video card
  • 24 inch monitor (outside view) and 22 inch monitor (panel)
  • Win 7 Pro 64 bit
  • TrackIR
  • CH Products yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant
  • Saitek switch panel, radio panel and multipanel

Thanks for your suggestions and for all your contributions to the AVSIM forum.

I guess this topic has been done many times in the past so forgive me bringing it up again. Cheers.

If you haven't got it already add REX to FS9, it makes such a difference with the look especially at sun rise and sun set.

Also there's vancouver airport that is available, I can't remember the author but it is an excellent airport and well worth installing.

Cheers

Martin.

PS. I'll see if I can find the link for the Airport.

Found it. http://www.jgabbert.com/sceneries.html

I guess this topic has been done many times in the past

Yep, sure has! So why not do a search of this forum instead of asking people for the zillionth time to tell you just because you are too lazy to do the research yourself?

David

If you want decent clouds look in the avsim library for pablo diaz. His clouds far exceed anything that can be purchased.

also go for soft horizons which cures the hard horizon line. There is also a fix for the horison below the sun.

Aslo in the library: a Moon fix so that it faces the sun!!!!!!

There's lots and lots of free stuff in the library. If you like to fly classic a/c try the Lockheed_L1049G or the VC10 (this has full check lists, cabin announcements, engine fires, depressurisation, pushback, ground servicing, marshaller etc all for the price of 0)

vololiberista

Thanks to those who provided positive suggestions and thanks to David (vector) as well for his reminder.

BTW my "lazy" comment in my first post was a bit "tongue in cheek". I've done plenty of research on these forums and the library and there are zillions of suggestions and available downloads. I was hoping someone could narrow them down for me to those that really work for them. I've tried some freeware in the past and some of it has not been that good.

Some suggestions (mostly payware) that I found include:

Flight1's Ground Environment Pro

REX's Real Environment Extreme

Zintertek's Water

Zintertek's Airport Environment

EnbSeries for Bloom effect

ActiveSky Evolution

Ultimate Terrain

WOAI

Aerosoft Airport Enhancement Service (AES)

Flight Deck Companion (FDC)

Radar Contact 4 (RC4)

FSUIPC

Have a great day all you flight simmers. Maybe we will cross flight paths in the friendly skies.

Hi

From your list, I don't think you would go wrong by going with REX, Ground Environment Pro, Zinertek Airport Environment, the Ultimate Terrain series, AES and WOAI. I would also consider the FS Genesis mesh enhancements and FS Commander. Just a personal opinion - hope it helps!

Kind regards,

Bill

The thread entitled "I put in FS9 last night after many years" caught my interest and perhaps I should be posting on that thread rather than creating a new one.

I currently have FS9, FSX and Flight loaded on my flight sim computer. I mostly fly FSX but would like to give FS9 a boost with some addons. Since I am retired and miserly, I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm also lazy so instead of doing my own search of the library I'm asking for advice from the FS9 experts on what free addons from the AVSIm library and/or elsewhere you would suggest. I'm thinking in particular of scenery enhancements but would also like to try GA planes (single and twin) and business jet, regional jet that are improved over the default models. I do have "Flight 1 Ultimate Terrain Canada & Alaska". I would also consider some low cost payware addons.

I have the following hardware:

• i5 750 CPU o/c to 3.8 Ghz
  • 4 Gb memory
  • 1 Tb hard drive
  • ATI 5770 video card
  • 24 inch monitor (outside view) and 22 inch monitor (panel)
  • Win 7 Pro 64 bit
  • TrackIR
  • CH Products yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant
  • Saitek switch panel, radio panel and multipanel

Thanks for your suggestions and for all your contributions to the AVSIM forum.

I like your monitor setup, my question is moot now; I see what I wasn't looking at. You have the "window" on top instead of in front of your panel as it should be.

mynetdude ... this is my mutlmonitor FSX setup. I can also get it to work with FS9 but there are soem glitches (e.g., when you use Alt key to go into the menus).

See the video link below. This is similar to what I do in FSX.

Before going to Full Screen on the upper monitor I save the flight. Then when I load that flight in the future the screens come back up just as they were saved (outside view on top and panel below). BTW I have to use Full Screen mode when flying or my FPS drops badly.

http://www.rogerdodger.net/videos/multi-monitor_2.html

mynetdude ... this is my mutlmonitor FSX setup. I can also get it to work with FS9 but there are soem glitches (e.g., when you use Alt key to go into the menus).

See the video link below. This is similar to what I do in FSX.

Before going to Full Screen on the upper monitor I save the flight. Then when I load that flight in the future the screens come back up just as they were saved (outside view on top and panel below). BTW I have to use Full Screen mode when flying or my FPS drops badly.

http://www.rogerdodg...-monitor_2.html

Ah ok I see how you do yours, hmm I'll have to think about that; right now I have an idea to do a 3 monitor horizontal span but I'd like to see about how I can mount a 4th one on top.

I am planning on getting 2 580GTXs to SLI so I can easily do 4 monitors. The problem is that I don't know of any monitor WALL mounts that will accept 3 span and 4th on top, but I do know of lots of desktop monitor stands that will do that just fine (get one that does 6, but only use 4)

I like how the panel takes up one whole screen and your front window takes up another screen... good idea! but I want to go further than that:

1. panel window 2. front window/pilot's view out window 3. misc (for GPS, FSC, charts, maps, etc 4. outside view (this is where you and I differ at what it means IMO) the outside view would be seeing your plane. I don't know how much FS9 can handle (or FSX for that matter).