Sign in to follow this  

Wow - old family film of aircraft unarchived!

Guest JonP01

8 months ago my father passed away. Since then, I have been helping my mother go through his estate. We've been steadily plugging away at this task, but had not got around yet to looking completely through his vast library of 8mm cine films that he shot between 1959 and 1982.My mother rang me this morning with some amazing news. I have two very strong aviation memories from my earlier years. The first was in 1976, when as a 10 year old I attended an airshow at Schofields, based at the western outskirts of Sydney, Australia. I distinctly remember seeing quite a few warbirds at that show, and for the first time in my life. The sight and sound of a P51-D at full throttle performing a low simulated strafing pass is indelibly imprinted in my mind. The whole ground seemed to shake. I think these were also the days when there were less restrictions on performing low level aerobatics. What I didn't know is that Dad took his cine camera along that day as well. I don't know what is on that reel of film, but I'm itching to find out!The other memory was a couple of years later, when I was treated to a joyflight in a DC-3. This was back in the days when I regularly built rubber powered balsa models. I even remember that specific morning I went to the model shop and bought a Kiel Kraft Swallow. Again, I was so excited on that flight it did not stick in my mind that Dad has his camera that day as well!Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing these short reels. I never remember seeing them before so I'm not sure how much true aviation stuff is on them. But I'm sure there will be enough to keep me well and truly entertained :-)

you just never knowyou may end up seeing some 'blue movies' on them as wellLOL:-lol