Sign in to follow this  
trevorbee

Dozing off - back to FS9 again.

I just got a message from Avsim wondering why I hadn't posted in over a year, so here goes:

Its 4/19/2012. I'll post here again in one year....that is if there is still a Flight forum at that time. Cheers!

Over and out.

I am really looking forward to your next post ! :Waiting:

Fred.

I just got a message from Avsim wondering why I hadn't posted in over a year, so here goes:

Its 4/19/2012. I'll post here again in one year....that is if there is still a Flight forum at that time. Cheers!

Over and out.

Ok, catch you in approx one stellar year. Got it! :yahoo:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So, i apologize too if i came off a bit too rude since it wasn't my intention at all.

My friend, no offence taken and I actually agree with what you said. Unfortunately, this game can often bring out the worst in us.

I feel I have had enough of Hawaii for a while but am looking forward to Alaska.

Regards

Trevor

I'm a mod on a single type motorbike forum. We don't ride testosterone-fuelled racers, or chrome laden cruisers, but 125cc dual-purpose bikes. Many of us have other bigger bikes as well. Through our forum I have hooked up with half a dozen other riders and moved from one day ride-outs to longer trips to Europe and to the Alps and from online to real friends. We share many different views on our forum but are always reasonably courteous to each other, sharing our love or lust for other m'bikes and more adventures. We help each other with tips on maintenance and modding. Ages range from 17 to 60+ and girls are as welcome as boys. Older riders pass on their experiences and younger ones learn faster than they would on their own...

Over 4 years I have not seen ONE person leave the forum with anything but politeness, and many who sell their bike make a point of introducing their buyer back into the group.

Seems a shame that an Avsim Flight forum can't work like that... I read it often as there are so many useful tips posted. I also enjoy reading positive things about something that I enjoy, as well as constructive ways it can be improved, but many of the posts leave me shaking my head in disbelief at the lack of common courtesy shown to others. Can we at least try to be considerate?

If you don't like Flight then just consider that every time you criticise it on a forum like this you are simply insulting the taste of good people who do... Or was that your intent?

Guest Antlab

If you don't like Flight then just consider that every time you criticise it on a forum like this you are simply insulting the taste of good people who do

Little etimology reminder:

1) Criticize: From Ancient Greek κριτικός (kritikos, “of or for judging, able to discern”)

2) Insult: Latin insultāre (“to jump at, insult”)

Are you able to see (discern) the difference? :Idea:

A.

I really want to blame a lot of the division on Josh's statement labelling a segment of the users as "hard core simmers", and then saying they have unrealistic expectations. For me, this was the official beginning of the us vs them.

From what I understand, there was a lot of criticism when FSX was launched as well, but did it divide the users against each other? I mean, in the FSX forum, do you hear those users bashing FS9 users for not upgrading or "getting onboard"? I also don't see the FSX users being so touchy towards the criticisms of FSX- and there are many!

Little etimology reminder:

For goodness sake Antlab, if you are going to play etymology games, the least you can do is spell the blinking word correctly... (I'll ignore 'criticize' as you are probably American, bless you... :LMAO: )

And you wanted to share with us that Insult means 'insult' - okay... that's pretty deep... :Thinking:

If you think that criticise still means discern then you are foolishly misguided, regardless of the ancient origins of the word :Idea:

Now... Just ask yourself how my playful 'discernment' made you feel (I am just trying to make the point that criticism can be quite hurtful)?

Peace out, fellow pilot...

Etymology is the last refuge of the person who has run out of arguments. :)

I really want to blame a lot of the division on Josh's statement labelling a segment of the users as "hard core simmers", and then saying they have unrealistic expectations. For me, this was the official beginning of the us vs them.

Hard core simmers not only have unrealistic expectations, they are totally unwilling to compromise. This makes any communication with them difficult, as any Flight fan can tell you. Mr. Howard found talking to them unproductive, which is a shame as there might have been a few changes in Flight, but for the hard core simmer it's "all or nothing." We're lucky we have radio nav aids in the game at this point.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you don't like Flight then just consider that every time you criticise it on a forum like this you are simply insulting the taste of good people who do...

+1 very well said.

Unfortunately this seems to be becoming more of the norm these days...

Guest Antlab

For goodness sake Antlab, if you are going to play etymology games, the least you can do is spell the blinking word correctly... (I'll ignore 'criticize' as you are probably American, bless you... :LMAO: )

Thanks for the blessing, but I am Italian Big%20Grin.gif

If you think that criticise still means discern then you are foolishly misguided, regardless of the ancient origins of the word :Idea:

Yes, I think so. The difference between critics and insult is quite big, in particular when dealing with a game, don't you agree?

Now... Just ask yourself how my playful 'discernment' made you feel (I am just trying to make the point that criticism can be quite hurtful)?

Peace out, fellow pilot...

It made me feel very well, also because if you mistook me for an American, maybe my english is not so bad, after all :biggrin:

A.

Etymology is the last refuge of the person who has run out of arguments. :)

Hard core simmers not only have unrealistic expectations, they are totally unwilling to compromise. This makes any communication with them difficult, as any Flight fan can tell you. Mr. Howard found talking to them unproductive, which is a shame as there might have been a few changes in Flight, but for the hard core simmer it's "all or nothing." We're lucky we have radio nav aids in the game at this point.

Hook

I dont agree with a number of things you said, but we've been down that road before, so here is my aternative reply:

You appear to want to further the division yourself. You have become your own enemy. I think a lot of the vocal supporters need to heed thier own advice: enjoy what you play and get over it.

Guest ecg

This whole situation echos the World of Warcraft "End Game - Hard Core Raiders vs. Casual players" arguments that can be seen on the WOW forums. Just the inherent nature of a product and humans - can't please everyone.

Just the inherent nature of a product and humans - can't please everyone.

too bad Josh couldn't have made a statement along these lines, as it makes a lot of sense without contributing to the pointless debate of which is better: chocolate or vanilla?