Sign in to follow this  
trevorbee

Dozing off - back to FS9 again.

If you don't like Flight then just consider that every time you criticise it on a forum like this you are simply insulting the taste of good people who do...

I have to disagree with that statement. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a product and simply doing so is not an insult to people who like the product.

Insulting people because they happen to like it is a different matter entirely.

There is a lot I don't like about Flight, for example. If I am not free to express my dislike of those aspects without people feeling "insulted" there's something seriously wrong, and it's not with me.

You appear to want to further the division yourself. You have become your own enemy. I think a lot of the vocal supporters need to heed thier own advice: enjoy what you play and get over it.

I see what you did there. Now answer it as if I'd made the same statement to you.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I see what you did there. Now answer it as if I'd made the same statement to you.

Hook

The records may prove otherwise, but compared to my true feelings, I feel like I have been fairly moderate as of late, or just kept my mouth shut. Frankly Im tired of both sides being critical when there is also an underlying sense of arrogance. It reminds me of watching a political debate where both sides of the house are entirely misguided with one sidedness, and ending in congratulatory pats on the back and catty eye rolling.

I really started seeing things differently when the pro fight group drove off arwen, that demonstarted to me these discussions are doing more harm than good. Is that really what everyone wanted? Its a freaking game for F's sakes, and everyone here needs to share the blame for the state of the city we live in, myself included.

I have to disagree with that statement. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a product and simply doing so is not an insult to people who like the product.

There is a lot I don't like about Flight, for example. If I am not free to express my dislike of those aspects without people feeling "insulted" there's something seriously wrong, and it's not with me.

WOW!!... wise words

I absolutely agree with you, forums are intended to be places in which we can tell what we think, look for answers, help, gather and share, Forum comes from a word meaning a place to share opinions. Everybody must be able to disagree with a product and be able to write it down. For instance if I wanted to buy Flight add ons, I would like to be able to look for all the opinions in favor and against, just to make my mind.

Oh RoboRay you don't 'have' to disagree with anything. You choose these things quite deliberately. You are probably well meaning but do sound just slightly naive... Freedom to dislike something is fine. But would you ever wander into a Synagogue to express a dislike of Jews, or into a Mosque to criticise Allah? I wouldn't recommend that. Of course this is only a game, not a religion (though simming seems like a quasi-religion to some types) but even so, a little sensitivity and thoughtfulness goes far in life... There are many in this forum who enjoy Flight for what it is and look forwards to improvements to come. If you have pressing issues with the game then why not direct those to Microsoft...

...forums are intended to be places in which we can tell what we think, look for answers, help, gather and share, Forum comes from a word meaning a place to share opinions. Everybody must be able to disagree with a product and be able to write it down...

I agree, and it's all about how that is done and what the purpose is... Like others the thought of simulating a commercial jet flight leaves me relatively cold. In fact I think its a bit sad to spend hours of your life doing that. But I don't ever feel the need to pop into FSX forums to express myself in that negative way...

Oh RoboRay you don't 'have' to disagree with anything. You choose these things quite deliberately. You are probably well meaning but do sound just slightly naive... Freedom to dislike something is fine. But would you ever wander into a Synagogue to express a dislike of Jews, or into a Mosque to criticise Allah? I wouldn't recommend that. Of course this is only a game, not a religion (though simming seems like a quasi-religion to some types) but even so, a little sensitivity and thoughtfulness goes far in life... There are many in this forum who enjoy Flight for what it is and look forwards to improvements to come. If you have pressing issues with the game then why not direct those to Microsoft...

This is not a shrine to Flight. This is a discussion forum. It is not "insensitive" to discuss the flaws in Flight. If you feel insulted simply because somebody mentions that there are flaws in something you like, you have issues.

I assure you that I do "have to disagree" with what you said about it being inappropriate to mention that Flight is not perfect. That is a ridiculous position for anyone to take.

This is a discussion forum. It is not "insensitive" to discuss the flaws in Flight.

There is a difference in discussing a flaw or flaws in Flight, versus coming here just to disparage the program and those that are trying to enjoy what it does have to offer.

Unfortunately the latter seems to be becoming more predominant now in this forum, it is not quite the same as it once was.

you have issues that go well beyond the scope of what would be appropriate to discuss openly here. I suggest professional counseling.

Even though i agree that the pro flight folks can be a little too sensitive lately, and add a dash of mob mentality in there, this was a bit over the top IMO. Im hoping if we can all take it down a notch, we might start meshing easier. Maybe our opinions could start having meaning again, instead of being disregarded as a hollow attack.

There is a difference in discussing a flaw or flaws in Flight, versus coming here just to disparage the program and those that are trying to enjoy what it does have to offer.

Indeed, but that wasn't the statement made, to which I responded.

Even though i agree that the pro flight folks can be a little too sensitive lately, and add a dash of mob mentality in there, this was a bit over the top IMO. Im hoping if we can all take it down a notch, we might start meshing easier. Maybe our opinions could start having meaning again, instead of being disregarded as a hollow attack.

You did leave off a very important "If..." portion of the quote, which in it's absence does dramatically alter not only the tone but the implied meaning of the statement.

If I'm going to be called "naive" because I think both sides of a discussion should be allowed to speak, I certainly feel free to respond the way I did. But, I will "tone it down" a bit while allowing my point to stand as made.

Yes , and I certainly was not putting you into that latter category either.

But that is a contributing factor to some of the angst of late, and why some of what are being referred to as " pro Flighters" are getting a little riled.

Let us not forget that an important purpose of forums is to share information to the benefit of others. . Features of FS9, FSX and 3rd party products are criticised and praied ijn other forums. I've never read of it being suggested that's wrong.

It is surely just as helpful to someone wanting to know more about Flight to criticise a feature XXXX as it is to praise a feature YYYY.

You did leave off a very important "If..." portion of the quote, which in it's absence does dramatically alter not only the tone but the implied meaning of the statement.

If I'm going to be called "naive" because I think both sides of a discussion should be allowed to speak, I certainly feel free to respond in that way.

sorry, that wasnt my intention... im typing from my phone.

But my feeling is the same- these discussions are going nowhere. There is nothing more to gleam from either side,we might as well be pissing about what our favorite color is. Flight may be the subject, but Flight isnt the motivation behind why we are all building walls and mounting attacks.

Yes , and I certainly was not putting you into that latter category either.

But that is a contributing factor to some of the angst of late, and why some of what are being referred to as " pro Flighters" are getting a little riled.

The problem is, a forum completely dominated by "haters" is barely worse than a forum completely dominated by "######." If you go to either extreme, the forum becomes worthless. I've seen how bad "######" forums can get.

Not just in this thread but in others, people have begun attacking anyone saying anything negative about Flight, to the point that we lost a good moderator who had a lot to offer to our enjoyment of Flight.

That's just sad, because this has been pretty much the only forum on the internet where Flight could be discussed in a mature and adult fashion. And it's going away.

sorry, that wasnt my intention... im typing from my phone.

But my feeling is the same- these discussions are going nowhere. There is nothing more to gleam from either side,we might as well be pissing about what our favorite color is. Flight may be the subject, but Flight isnt the motivation behind why we are all building walls and mounting attacks.

No problem.

I don't know why some people just don't like to get along. The only thing you can say with certainty about somebody who takes an extreme position (on either side) is that they are wrong, at least to a certain degree.

I think we all just need to see MS release something for Flight, at least give everyone something else to talk about.

Lord help us all though if it is a cockpitless aircraft!

:smile: