Sign in to follow this  
dozzy177

Turn off AP on ILS approach 7 nm from touchdown and ...

... then all hell brakes loose... the plane throws itself in all directions, totally uncontrollable by hand, etc. Had to pause and then stop flight to avoid crashing, very frustrating.

Also, I noticed that the G/S was not present on either EHSI or the primary...

(This is after SP1, by the way.)

Any ideas, please ?

Guest bstolle

ILS without G/S ???? LOC & G/S displays ok on the PFD (post SP1)

Concerning the other issue. AP disconnects ok with the C90 staying nicely in trim. Try flying less hamfisted....

ILS without G/S ???? LOC & G/S displays ok on the PFD (post SP1)

Concerning the other issue. AP disconnects ok with the C90 staying nicely in trim. Try flying less hamfisted....

Same, I've made about 5 ILS approaches before the SP and 3 ILS approaches post SP and never had a issue disconnecting the AP or flight issues at all just in general.. This plane flies like an absolute dream.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

When I disconnect the autopilot on a ILS final, the aircraft stays in trim, but the flight director bars disappear. Hitting Ctrl-F brings them back for a split second and then they are gone again. I don't remeber this happening prior to SP1.

Dale

Dale

When I disconnect the autopilot on a ILS final, the aircraft stays in trim, but the flight director bars disappear. Hitting Ctrl-F brings them back for a split second and then they are gone again. I don't remeber this happening prior to SP1.

Dale

That is correct, the FD bars are currently only active in HDG,NAV,ALT modes when the AP is turned off.

The revised documentation also includes APPR, and BC... This could be added in SP2.

Send me a PM if you would like to test this capability.

Bert

That is correct, the FD bars are currently only active in HDG,NAV,ALT modes when the AP is turned off.

The revised documentation also includes APPR, and BC... This could be added in SP2.

Send me a PM if you would like to test this capability.

Somehow, that doesn't seem logical - I don't need the flight director when the autopilot is flying the approach, but it can be of great assistance when flying to minimums by hand. The KC-135 I flew in real life had an FD-109 system and the flight director was active on a ILS approach with the autopilot off. Ok, it's not a major problem, just me re-living my old flying days.

Dale

Dale

Hi Dale,

I would love to see a RW Pilot's Guide for this Collins Autopilot - the function as currently implemented

is an approximation for sure..

Having said that, leaving the approach mode on, after disconnecting the autopilot, is a simple change.

So, the offer stands, send me a PM for a test..

Bert

I'll check our library at the Air Force Museum Restoration Center to see if we have a Collins FD109 Guide.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a PM?

Dale

Dale

I'll check our library at the Air Force Museum Restoration Center to see if we have a Collins FD109 Guide.

Dale

That would be great! The Collins autopilot model is APS-65.

Bert

the plane throws itself in all directions, totally uncontrollable by hand, etc

Didier,

I had a similar problem...engines surging and wild swings in yaw. Turned out to be a prop lever calibration issue. I was also getting control spikes in my throttle quadrant. Once I took care of those two things, the controllability issues disappeared. I flew an approach into KHQM last night that was rock solid and I was able to keep it right on the blue line until I crossed over the fence and pulled the power.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Didier,

I had a similar problem...engines surging and wild swings in yaw. Turned out to be a prop lever calibration issue. I was also getting control spikes in my throttle quadrant. Once I took care of those two things, the controllability issues disappeared. I flew an approach into KHQM last night that was rock solid and I was able to keep it right on the blue line until I crossed over the fence and pulled the power.

Yes I believe this could be an issue with my CH quadrant and CH yoke, although it has never happened with any of my large fleet. Tonight, I had the same experience, but before that ALL my lights came out at the same time on the annunciator, a real Christmas tree, all of them and stayed there, there was nothing I could do to stop that and of course all my knobs & levers were on the right place...

Then again, about 1 minute after deselecting AP, nearing short finals (3 miles) the plane became uncontrollable, pitching up and sideways as I could not stop it, against trim, etc... (believe me this was NOT pilot induced oscillation, I am a flying instructor, btw) and I had to cancel the whole thing, something always frustrating after a good flight. The good news is that the G/S was showing this time.

Ach well !

Interesting! Today on an ILS final I had my trim-up go awol from my Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke. Now I've only had this yoke for about a week but its the first time it happened. I panned down to look at the controls console and found the C90's trim down was working (from the Saitek yoke) but not the trim up. I went into the settings/controls menu and found for some reason the button setting for trim-up had cleared to null. I reset it and went back to the sim and was able to continue the approach, albeit below G/S. I had shortly before (about 3 minutes) the turn to final come off of autopilot. I logged five approaches today in various aircraft and this was the first incident of the kind. This may be an issue to watch - loss of various controls coming off of autopilot or autopilot functions. For me I came 100% off of autopilot.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere