Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

Rain on Windshield

"absolutely no guarantees though, I do still think it's unlikely" makes sense Ryan thanks for the heads up :wink:

Rich Sennett

since didnt have fs9 so cant comment on that part but the pmdg js4100 has the rain effects and also ice effects as well on the wind screen

Yeah, I have the JS4100 but have only flown it maybe 15 hours or so over the past few years. I bought it basically for something different and because the VC looked so great, but ended up not really using it that often just due to the fact that I struggle with the slower cruise speeds compared to jets. I do however love the VC rain.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2D mode in FSX has always had it. The VC is where it's not normally possible unless you use animations - animated textures work in FS9 but were removed in FSX.

We will see on this when we reach the point of knowing how many animations we have left in the 777 VC - absolutely no guarantees though, I do still think it's unlikely.

Ok now iam confused you say the textures were removed in fsx in the vc mode, so how did you manage the rain effects in the js4100 which is vc view?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Maybe an idea for pmdg too make it an option if they are out of animations. So we can choose witch we turn on and witch we turn of. (if possible at all)

Altough a plain probaly will not be long in the rain (under the clouds) during a flight, it makes it great for us paying custumers to experiance during final. (or take off afcourse)

Maikel Rozemeijer.

Altough a plain probaly will not be long in the rain (under the clouds) during a flight, it makes it great for us paying custumers to experiance during final. (or take off afcourse)

I totally agree. And besides, you forget all the time you spend doing the preflight. To sit in the cockpit going through all the stuff before pushback with dry spotless windows while it's pouring outside is a real shame.

Please PMDG, consider the possibility of including this option in the CDU in the future (in exchange of other animations you may see fit sacrificing).

Diego Reig.

Ok now iam confused you say the textures were removed in fsx in the vc mode, so how did you manage the rain effects in the js4100 which is vc view?

We used animated polygons to create all the individual rain drops and their motion - that's what I was referring to. In FS9 it's just a transparent texture that has an animation playing on it - like a .gif image or a video. It doesn't involve polygons in motion. Two different uses of the word "animation." That type of animated texture is not possible in FSX, ACES removed support for it - I have no idea why.

Maybe an idea for pmdg too make it an option if they are out of animations. So we can choose witch we turn on and witch we turn of. (if possible at all)

Maikel Rozemeijer.

I totally agree. And besides, you forget all the time you spend doing the preflight. To sit in the cockpit going through all the stuff before pushback with dry spotless windows while it's pouring outside is a real shame.

Please PMDG, consider the possibility of including this option in the CDU in the future (in exchange of other animations you may see fit sacrificing).

Diego Reig.

This doesn't work like you guys think it does. Every animation on a model is always there regardless of whether the option is active or not - it's cumulative. When you turn the HGS off in the NGX for example, the animations are still taken up despite it not being visible (in fact the very thing that hides it is another animation itself.) We're not going to remove actual cockpit functionality in exchange for a cosmetic raindrop effect. (actually multiple raindrop effects - you need separate routines depending on speed) If it comes down to that type of decision we're always going to go with things in the cockpit that affect the use of the airplane. Doing what you're talking about requires a ton of different models that would have to be switched out before running the sim, code changes to support the disabled parts etc - we're not going there.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

When you turn the HGS off in the NGX for example, the animations are still taken up despite it not being visible (in fact the very thing that hides it is another animation itself.)

Ryan, does this mean that putting the HGS in the "up" position (above the pilots' head) has no effect on framerates than if it was in the "down" position and we're looking through it? I would always put it up after takeoff, thinking it would save framerates.

Ryan, does this mean that putting the HGS in the "up" position (above the pilots' head) has no effect on framerates than if it was in the "down" position and we're looking through it? I would always put it up after takeoff, thinking it would save framerates.

Its quite easy to find out for yourself , all you need to do is put the hgs up and see if the fps improve or not

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

For me, the HGS doesn't have a single affect on FPS.

I think it's safe to say that if anyone could do it and still keep the same quality it would be PMDG.

I personally loved the rain effects on fs9 aircraft,it was very atmospheric.

i still solely use the NGX for all my virtual flying :smile: with or without VC rain it's still the best

steve-0

Its quite easy to find out for yourself , all you need to do is put the hgs up and see if the fps improve or not

I have tried in the past, but because the fps rate changes constantly, it's hard to tell...

Putting the HGS up does stop the calculations in the gauge that are going on - it does not remove any animations, polygons etc. I don't think the HGS calculations really cause any hit though - I definitely never saw any in testing.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I think unless you have working windscreen wipers that clear the windscreen then the rain effect is not very realistic and I would rather it was left off, however if a way could be found to allow the wipers to clear the screen then it would be pretty cool, but heard that this is not an option anymore in FSX as above. Maybe Lockheed Martin could add the old animated textures into P3D someday?!

Maikel Rozemeijer.

I agree VC rain effect would be the best thing since sliced bread for FSX!! Would be great if we can turn it off or on:)

Simon