Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

Rain on Windshield

This doesn't work like you guys think it does. Every animation on a model is always there regardless of whether the option is active or not - it's cumulative. When you turn the HGS off in the NGX for example, the animations are still taken up despite it not being visible (in fact the very thing that hides it is another animation itself.) We're not going to remove actual cockpit functionality in exchange for a cosmetic raindrop effect.

I understand Ryan. However, would it be possible to choose from the menu between a model with HGS (for instance) and another one with raindrops? Sorry, I know we are being a pain in the neck but most of us who come from FS9 miss them so much...

Another thing: I remember you (or Rob, I don't know) saying that in FSX you would need to animate each raindrop individually which is complicated... But this is not what happens in the J41. You managed to do it the classic FS9 way, which by the way works wonderfully for me.

Anyway, I understand raindrops are not a priority but I hope you find a way sooner or later, which can also be included as an SP in the NGX (the best simulated aircraft I've ever seen on a computer, congratulations!).

Diego Reig.

Diego, read the topic, all the answers are in there... Even in this very page.

I did read the whole thread before posting. But what I meant was (and I don't think this has been answered before although I may be wrong): if we load two different variants of the same airplane from the starting menu, does that mean that we could have two different sets of animations, and therefore, assign them to different options (one variant with HGS, another one with raindrops, and so forth...)?

Of course, I would understand if PMDG decide not to go that far just for the sake of raindrops. Just curious...

Diego Reig.

if we load two different variants of the same airplane from the starting menu, does that mean that we could have two different sets of animations, and therefore, assign them to different options (one variant with HGS, another one with raindrops, and so forth...)?

You're basically asking them to develop and code two different aircraft just to get rain on the windshield.

Yeah, I guess so. I don't know because I know nothing about programing so I'm probably suggesting something unreasonable. It's just that I see variants with and without winglets and things like that and I was just wondering. I really don't know the level of complexity that somenthing like that would involve. I was hoping maybe Ryan could tell us whether or not this is a crazy idea.

Diego Reig.

Heard that PMDG developers wouldn't add this effect to the new 777,so is the future update of NGX.

Lei Z

I don't get PMDG policy here. Everybody asks for the future, and PMDG rejects it.

I thoght the best way of keeping customers, is to watch what they want sometimes. Even if it's going to kill FPS, everybody would buy it...With or without it, there are hundreds thread about FPS.

Rain is an integral part of weather and a correct appearance of drops adds so much to an immersive sim session. After so much time and with nowadays powerful computers they really should try to get it back besides the technical problems it creates. It is "ridiculous" to go back to FS9 just because this old sim gives a much better feeling of bad weather situations.

They should create an addon like

"PMDG environment upgrade" for maybe 20 $,

that at least adds rain, icing or cbs effects on the windshield for the MD11X and the 747X.

They should create an addon like

"PMDG environment upgrade" for maybe 20 $,

that at least adds rain, icing or cbs effects on the windshield for the MD11X and the 747X.

I would happily pay for a product like that in order to get bad weather effects in my PMDG aircraft VCs.

Diego Reig.

Let's just repeat this, because you guys obviously haven't read it correctly:

The number of animations in FSX is limited, there is NOTHING, not a single thing, ANY developer can do about that. If PMDG develops a plane, and the decision has to be made, they will ALWAYS place something functional before something cosmetic. Also, just because you can't see the HGS, for example, does not mean the animation has become available.

EVERY function you can tick or untick in the CDU is loaded whe you load the NGX, all the animations are taken whether you use them or not.

If they run into the limits with the 777, you can kiss the rain effect bye bye for something functional.

It's not that they don't want to do it, or that they're too lazy (yeah, right), the simply CAN'T.

I understand Thomas. And I understand PMDG's priorities when it comes to functionality. It's just that I love the raindrops on my PMDG JS41 and the fact that they are not included in following planes feels like a step taken backwards. Anyway, I really hope they don't reach the animation limit with the 777.

Diego Reig.

It's just that I love the raindrops on my PMDG JS41 and the fact that they are not included in following planes feels like a step taken backwards. Anyway, I really hope they don't reach the animation limit with the 777.

You can't compare the complexity of the J41 vs the NGX/777.

It's not even in the same league.

They had space for animations in the J41 because it was a simple turboprop that didn't require that much development (it was a down-period project).

The NGX and 777 are both major focal projects and same as the NGX, I would imagine they will run out of animations for the 777.

Just because they gave you something in an earlier addon doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be in the next project.

FSX has limitations, and we are dang lucky at all to be getting quality products like the NGX and 777.

People like this guy...

I thoght the best way of keeping customers, is to watch what they want sometimes. Even if it's going to kill FPS, everybody would buy it...

...should just be happy with what we get instead of trying to tell PMDG how to market their products to consumers.

FSX has limitations. If they could do it they would, but if the animations run out then that's it.

And expecting them to code a second aircraft that sacrifices systems functionality just so rain can be added is just ridiculous. Sorry but it is.

They had space for animations in the J41 because it was a simple turboprop that didn't require that much development (it was a down-period project).

The NGX and 777 are both major focal projects and same as the NGX, I would imagine they will run out of animations for the 777.

I can see your point here.

And expecting them to code a second aircraft that sacrifices systems functionality just so rain can be added is just ridiculous.

You may think it's ridiculous. I could very well do without the HGS in a second coded aircraft for the sake of more realistic weather effects in the cockpit. I hardly ever use the HGS anyway. However, this is just my opinion and I understand if PMDG decide no to consider this possibility. It was just an idea: with different variants to select from in the starting menu everybody is happy. Then again, I'm not a programmer and I may very well not be aware of the complexity of what I'm suggesting.

Diego Reig.

I think it is a matter of FSX limitations but also of investing some development money. If it is time consuming to develop and integrate it, the community must(at least should) be willing to pay for it.

And it is a matter what your priorities are. The NGX has those nice shiny volumetric lights and ground refections. As I am 99% in the VC, I hardly take notice of those new effects. I was perfectly satified with my old style MD11 lights(that work perfectly on every airport apart from the NGX new ones, that are sometimes barely noticeable).

But unfortunately due to MS decision to take out the rain drops I simply did not activate rain (since I bought FSX) when I am flying as the visual appearance is so poor in FSX. For me rain is definitely more important than some shiny animations.

And I would really love

Pay for it

to get it back at least on my older planes like the MD11 and the 747 that might not exceed the limitations of effects on FSX.