Sign in to follow this  
AusWilko

Orbx NZSI Which Airport

I just got NZSI and was wondering which airports are the favourites of those that have this?

I will explore them all but was wondering if people have come across a real gem of a strip that they like to go back to

Rangiora is a very nicely detailed smaller strip that I was lucky enough to stumble on early in my exploring of NZSI. It's located west of Christchurch and situated alongside a small river. You might enjoy dropping in there.

John

I just got NZSI and was wondering which airports are the favourites of those that have this?

I will explore them all but was wondering if people have come across a real gem of a strip that they like to go back to

Milford Sound.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

After my most recent AirHauler campaign, I developed quite a fondness for Kaikoura - right on the coast.

Wanaka is also good - it is where they run the "warbirds over Wanaka" airshow and the surrounding terrain is quite pretty.

...neither are particularly challenging though!

Thanks for the replys will defenately check them out.

Was just at Huntsman Bay Lodge?? near Milford Sound at it is quite a nice rustic type setting so I might take off from Milford and fly back and try and land there, should be a nice flight.

At the moment I use the maule but I think I might spend some more on a good bush plane with a bit of speed and good vc with no glass, time to go hunting through the reviews

Oh and though not small, Queenstown is good flying - taking off from RW23 and following the Frankton Arm out over lake Wakatipu at dawn is pretty spectacular.

If your at Milford Sound give Quitin a try. It is just Southwest of the sound.

It is a grass uphill strip.

Also a great strip is St Arnaud, north east of Murchison.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Milford Sound, Queenstown, Mt Cook, Glentanner, Tekapo, Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers etc. Those are where most scenic flights operate to.

More info here:

http://www.caa.govt.nz/safety_info/GAPs/Milford_GAP.pdf

http://www.caa.govt.nz/safety_info/GAPs/Mount_Cook_GAP.pdf

http://www.caa.govt.nz/safety_info/GAPs/In_Out_and_Around_Queenstown.pdf

My hometown airport is NZGM Greymouth. Not as great scenery-wise or in approach difficulty as some of the others mentioned above. I was back here just several months ago visiting my aged mother (I live in the Denver area now).

Thanks, Bruce.

At the moment I use the maule but I think I might spend some more on a good bush plane with a bit of speed and good vc with no glass, time to go hunting through the reviews

Generally speaking "bush" and "speed" are mutually exclusive!

Shame you don't want any glass though, as the Lionheart Kodiak Quest, despite looking a little out-dated in the VC these days, is an excellent and relatively quick/powerful bush plane with great STOL capabilities.

I spend most my time in my RA Duke Turbine and have been regularly amazed at how well it gets in and out of tiny strips, but it isn't the best for sight-seeing tours due to the wing placement, so my "go-to" gang for scenic NZSI flying tends to be:

Aerosoft Bush Hawk XP

Flight Replicas Super Cub

Carenado T210 Centurion and 208 Caravan

Baytower Vans RV7

All of these are great for low and slow around the Orbx NZSI - the Bush Hawk and Cub are great planes but both are relatively slow, so if you want a bit more poke then perhaps the Carenados (both high wing) or the RV7 would be better for you.

Thanks MrBenevolent, How much of a hit is the glass in the VC of the Kodiak FPS wise?

My computer is old now and needs a update in about 3 months I hope.. C2D@2.8, GTX260 896mem, 3.5 gig ram cause I still run XP

Queenstown - if you are into the PMDG 737NGX check out the custom made Zulu rnav approaches developed by an NGX user and modeled on those used by QANTAS and Air NZ - search for rnav and NZQN on the PMDG NGX forum (you can't get them from Navigraph). As in real life these guide the aircraft through narrow valleys to the rwy threshold. If you are into GA then Milford Sound.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks MrBenevolent, How much of a hit is the glass in the VC of the Kodiak FPS wise?

My computer is old now and needs a update in about 3 months I hope.. C2D@2.8, GTX260 896mem, 3.5 gig ram cause I still run XP

Hard to say to be honest! Certainly it has never given me any trouble whatsoever, but I am running a higher spec than you so...

My understanding is that it isn't particularly taxing even on lower end and It does come with a lower res version as part of the installer if you find it problematic, but don't quote me on that!

Oh hang on!

Just went to the site and for this weekend only it is on sale for $12!

http://www.lionheart...com/Kodiak.html

...if you are even a little interested I would get in quick before it goes back to $25 again.