Sign in to follow this  
Marwan Aweiti

How do we get more realistic interior light system?

Hi everyone,

I have seen many HD pictures of the NG's cockpit, and in the night pictures the cockpit lighting is

different from the NGS's cockpit lighting system.

The basic difference between the two lighting is the colour of the light.

In the real NGs it is orange coloured. Somehow the NGX doesn't reflect the real NG's lighting.

I think many of the customers asked this... not here, but in IVAO's foruml (just for saying an example) there many comments stated that the answer for these notes can be found in the digital cameras because they don't show the real, cameras distort a lot and the lightings are not orange-coloured actually.

This is absolutely not true!

I am sure about it based on my experiences, because I've seen real NG cockpit as well.

My request would be that please help me how to change the colour of it in the right way, I know there's a file where we can change it, but I don't know what the combinations of those numbers are and how to change them in order to get orange-coloured cockpit lighting (throughout in the cockpit, below the autopilot panel and so on)

Sorry for my fairly long writing...

and thanks for any help in advance!

First, a camera's depiction of color is seldom what the eye actually sees. Most often, this is a problem with the camera's white balance, but it's also because the camera only sees in one light band. Your eye perceives more of what in photography we call "HDR" or High Dynamic Range, which requires multiple camera exposures: one to see the mean range (middle), one in the upper range (to show the details that were too bright for the mid range exposure), and one in the lower range (to show the details that were too dark for the mid range). Without using some sort of HDR processing, you're compromising on the picture, which means you're not going to see it like your eye saw it. It's a fact of photography.

So, the "orange" lighting isn't actually orange. The camera just sees it as orange because it's a computer and not your eye. Contrary to your opinion (and stated experience, which no offense, was probably maybe once or twice?), the lights really aren't orange.

In any case, if it really bothers you and you'd prefer your version of life, there's another thread that has a mod in it for the lighting. Search the forum and you'll find it.

Kyle Rodgers

I will say that I as do many of the people on here do not have real world experience in the NG, however PMDG produced the NGX especially with partnership with Boeing, that is why it is such a landmark project for PMDG in terms of its realism. They even got their hands on blue prints and plans of the aircraft I don't think operators get to see. With that in mind do you honestly think they would misplace the lighting of the flightdeck? And if they did with the amount of feedback this has generated don't you think they would have looked back at the plans and thought "oh maybe we should change this".

Anyway there is a utility on AVSIM and a quick search will probably find it for you.

I have seen a post in the AVSIM forum last month about a tweak to change the interior light colours of the 737 NGX from PMDG.

You should edit the 737NGX_Colors file (inside PMDG folder) to the following setup. This will give you a reddish light inside the VC.

Good luck! BR

Marcelo Chulam

[Panel Colors]

COLOR_DAY=247

COLOR_DUSK=115

COLOR_NIGHT=57

FLOODS_DAY_R_2D=255

FLOODS_DAY_G_2D=160

FLOODS_DAY_B_2D=32

FLOODS_DUSK_R_2D=128

FLOODS_DUSK_G_2D=128

FLOODS_DUSK_B_2D=0

FLOODS_NIGHT_R_2D=164

FLOODS_NIGHT_G_2D=96

FLOODS_NIGHT_B_2D=16

LETTERING_R_2D=228

LETTERING_G_2D=40

LETTERING_B_2D=0

TEXT_OFF_R_2D=220

TEXT_OFF_G_2D=220

TEXT_OFF_B_2D=235

TEXT_FULL_R_2D=242

TEXT_FULL_G_2D=96

TEXT_FULL_B_2D=72

TEXT_BG_OFF_R_2D=35

TEXT_BG_OFF_G_2D=35

TEXT_BG_OFF_B_2D=60

TEXT_BG_FULL_R_2D=48

TEXT_BG_FULL_G_2D=12

TEXT_BG_FULL_B_2D=0

FLOODS_DAY_R_VC=128

FLOODS_DAY_G_VC=96

FLOODS_DAY_B_VC=64

FLOODS_DUSK_R_VC=160

FLOODS_DUSK_G_VC=128

FLOODS_DUSK_B_VC=0

FLOODS_NIGHT_R_VC=228

FLOODS_NIGHT_G_VC=128

FLOODS_NIGHT_B_VC=24

LETTERING_R_VC=255

LETTERING_G_VC=40

LETTERING_B_VC=0

TEXT_OFF_R_VC=220

TEXT_OFF_G_VC=220

TEXT_OFF_B_VC=235

TEXT_FULL_R_VC=242

TEXT_FULL_G_VC=160

TEXT_FULL_B_VC=112

TEXT_BG_OFF_R_VC=18

TEXT_BG_OFF_G_VC=18

TEXT_BG_OFF_B_VC=30

TEXT_BG_FULL_R_VC=64

TEXT_BG_FULL_G_VC=16

TEXT_BG_FULL_B_VC=0

CABIN_DAY_R=64

CABIN_DAY_G=64

CABIN_DAY_B=64

CABIN_DUSK_R=128

CABIN_DUSK_G=128

CABIN_DUSK_B=128

CABIN_NIGHT_R=255

CABIN_NIGHT_G=247

CABIN_NIGHT_B=217

VC_FACTOR_DAY=55

VC_FACTOR_DUSK=80

VC_FACTOR_NIGHT=90

VC_BACKGROUND_R=90

VC_BACKGROUND_G=30

VC_BACKGROUND_B=35

DOME_FACTOR_BRT=80

DOME_FACTOR_DIM=40

ANNUN_DIM_FACTOR=40

can someone confirm that it does work and more realistic? i don't want to stuck with that and do a repair, or something. thanks.

If you want to go for a more 'orange look' and want to determine the colour specifications which will make that the case, it is possible to do it this way: Get hold of Photoshop (you can download a free 30 day trial from Adobe.com, in fact you can get a beta of the CS6 version too at the moment) Take a screenshot of your cockpit, then get hold of a picture ofa cockpit which has the 'orange look'. Now, load up the orangish pic, and go to the 'image' menu, then to the 'adjustments' fly out, then choose 'match colour' from the bottom of the fly-out list. A dialogue box will open, ignore the sliders and instead choose to save the stats. This will create an STA file. Now, open up your screeny and open up the match colour dialogue and then choose 'load stats' and select the STA file you just saved. This will give you the same colour range as the other pic. You can note the RGB shift, which will give you the value changes, but what you might also want to try, is using the eye dropper colour sampling tool on one of the orange lights, which would also give you a ballpark figure to go to. If you then click on the colour picker at the bottom of the left toolbar, you could also get the HSB, Lab and Hexidecimal values as well as the RGB ones too.

Photoshop will also do a 'psuedo' HDR effect as well, without the need to use an HDR camera with three CCD plates, although it is a filter 'blag' and not technically an HDR image, since a real HDR image is a combintation of three exposures taken with the RGB CCD plates firing for different exposure ranges. To do that, again look on the menus and you will find an 'HDR toning' option.

Having said all of this, the fact is, RGB monitors on the sRGBIEC6-1966-2.1 profile (which yours undoubtedly will be) are different in gamut range compared to what the human eye can see, so you are quite literally never going to be able to reproduce exactly what the human eye perceives, because the difference between any electronically-generated image, and the way the human eye sees and then perceives what is seen courtesy of your brain, is a completely different process from a single plane 48 bit image, and one which even HDR cannot truly emulate, since much of the perception comes from the parallax which a pair of human eyes imparts on the way the image is perceived by the brain.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

can someone confirm that it does work and more realistic? i don't want to stuck with that and do a repair, or something. thanks.

Just back up the original file...

Kyle Rodgers

Just back up the original file...

+1 for this - with any tweak you make.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just to repeat... The colors PMDG gave the backlighting are spot on, if you change them, you're going to make it less realistic.

The Classics were more orange-y though...

I have seen many HD pictures of the NG's cockpit, and in the night pictures the cockpit lighting is

different from the NGS's cockpit lighting system...cameras distort a lot and the lightings are not orange-coloured actually.

This is absolutely not true!

I am sure about it based on my experiences, because I've seen real NG cockpit as well.

So despite all the countless hours PMDG spent photographing the actual aircraft, spending time modelling the flightdeck, then coding the actual plane and coloring, texturing, tweaking, and adjusting the visuals based on the firsthand experience they had....and THEN, further validated by a score of real NG pilots that actually fly the thing, despite all that.....

....you're saying PMDG is wrong and you're right?

Based on what?

That's kind of rude, man.

Do you have some credentials?

Man there is a fantastic soft over avsim for that. I do not agree with "spot on". Been flying with my father on DC-10, A300 B4, A300-600, A310, A330 and 737 and the colors i could see were not WHITE. But the cockpit lights PMDG has done is very nice indeed. However i got mine tweaked using the soft from avsim library . Matter of taste .

I'm not saying you can't change it if you want to, I'm just saying PMDG's rendition is exactly the way it is in real life.

Having spent countless hours on the flight deck of NGs of different ages, I have quite a good idea what the flight deck looks like. The only thing they didn't, and can't(I think), recreate is the glow the lights make. But that's really really faint in real life, and just nitpicking really.