Sign in to follow this  

Who says MSFS ain't like the real thing?

Hi all,I supervise a pre de-icing crew for an airline at Toronto's Pearson Int'l airport. Pre de-icing basically involves the removal of snow from the wings and tail surfaces (an in the case of Tri engined jets, the upper fuse as well) of the aircraft using compressed air. This results in a substantial savings to the company as it then requires less glycol to de ice, and then anti ice the aircraft before departure. For the curious, a heavily contaminated 747 can cost upwards of $100,000 to de ice and anti ice.Anyways, part of my job requires that I complete a report on the condition of the airplane, decide if it needs pre de-icing and present it to the Captain for a signature. Since we go to the aircraft with plenty of time before it's departure, I sometimes sit in the jump seat and await the arrival of the flight crew. This means I get to spend plenty of time looking at the various gauges etc and compare them to FS.So tonight while aboard a departing aircraft, I noticed the VSI was similar to the one on the King Air 350 and I asked the Capt. if he had TCAS on it too."Oui, we 'ave it 'ere and over 'ere." he replied, "Why, are you a pilot?""Oh no sir, just on the computer at home." I replied surprised he asked."Ah, dat is just da same ting" he shot back with a smile.Slightly stunned, I collected my paperwork, wished them a good flight as usual and left the flightdeck for the next flight with a smile on my face.So sure I'm no pilot, but it's nice to know that the real pro's out there sympathize with us "desktop aviators" and can recognize the value of PC flight simulations.CF-AOA

Many pros indeed do. And many flightsimmers understand and respect that their knowledge is by its very nature limited mainly to procedures and instrument theory.The problems arise when the rest of both groups get together with flightsimmers claiming that they know it all because they can land a 747 in flightsim.

Guest Martin

Me, in the jumpseat of a Lufthansa A340 over the Atlantic:"So, I see we're on North Atlantic Track Tango..."The F/O, slightly stunned:"Why do you know that?":-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Be careful, they may take you for a terrorist. :-lol

I had a similar experiance riding 3rd in a Dash 8 from CYXC-CYVR. To this point the trip has been awsome. The Capt and FO are the best of guys and only to eager to answer my questions. They tell me it has been great because I have given them a good test on their skills. Even at one point the Capt allows me to adjust the throttles (with his hand VERY close by). What a feeling when you hold on and can feel the engines through them.Approuching YVR I make the comment, "Oh cool your using the BOOTH approuch". The Capt turns with a surprised look and says, "You know that?""Ya sure, I can see it from your FMS. I use that one alot when I fly the Dash into YVR on MSFS.""Even more surprised look, "Your a Dash pilot????""Only on MSFS.""Ohhhh, I see, ok. Wow that program is real accurate eh?""Ya it is. Like now for instance you are comeing up on VITEV so you have to switch to the YVR-VOR on 115.9 with the proper radial setting.""Oh I suppose you know the radial eh?""No I don't. I forget it."Sound of 3 guys having a good laugh.Radio comes alive with the sound of ARR. "Air Coach XXX Desend to 5000, contact Vancouver tower on 119.55, Good evening to you sir." (or something like that)The Capt acknowleges and then with a chuckle, turns and looks at me with a grin and says, "Get that will ya."I reach down and change the radio freq.The FO bursts out laughing.With a good chuckle the Capt. Contacts the tower.Talk about a sterile cockpit below 10,000 eh.http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifThis ain't no game kid!http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/dansig.jpg

Its interesting sometimes to me, as both a professional pilot and an avid flight simmer. Pilots are well known for having egos, but sometimes i will be discussing things with sim pilots and they get real arrogant about things when i tell them, its not exactly like that in the real world. I mean its a good passtime and i use it to look at approaches into unfamiliar airports before i go to them due the the accuracy of terrain modeling in FS2k2. However guys, dont take offense to it if in talking to a pilot someone mentions, "its just a game". Thats half right in some respects, but i tell ya, some of you guys id take flying with me any day. Yall know just as much and have half the ego, that would be the perfect flight dept. ;)Max

>However guys, dont >take offense to it if in talking to a pilot someone >mentions, "its just a game". The B@s^a$d wouldn't dare! :-sword>respects, but i tell ya, some of you guys id take flying >with me any day. Yall know just as much and have half the >ego, that would be the perfect flight dept. ;) Well Max, even in the sim world we seem to have the big ego. :-lolI am not a real world pilot but it is interesting that I am able to chat with one and have a very civil, fascinating conversation. It is almost like going to another country and being able to speak their language. http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifThis ain't no game kid!http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/dansig.jpg

Guest Martin

It was in August 2001 so they weren't that paranoid. :-) We got into a conversation about FS ("What version is it now, FS4?"), 767 PIC and so on...Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing